yconic - Rejection from Waterloo Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rejection from Waterloo Engineering

A photo of DK18 DK18
Well, Waterloo didn't actually reject me, I didn't even make up for their minimum requirements that they had no choice but to thrash my application.

Can I swear on this forum? I would really love to.

Anyways, I presently am accepted to UofCalgary and UofAlberta, but I have no motives to go to any of those places.

So I'm thinking of upgrading, and re-applying for the winter term (I don't want to be a WHOLE year behind..)

What am I upgrading? English... Because I didn't even get a 70 at midterm, therefore Waterloo has rejected me, and I feel so desolate about it.

I am so stupid. How did I not even make a damn 70?

The thing is, should I really upgrade? I mean, English is mostly common sense, right? You can't really study for English, it's not like there's a guarantee that I'm gonna improve a lot better in English just because I re-take it right?

Math, Caculus, physics, chem, I have confidence in all of those. With just those, I have an average of 90+, just because I can actually study for them.

But, for a person who didn't even get a 70 in English 30-1 on the first try, should he really dream about Waterloo Engineering? This is my biggest question right now..

I know I'm not smart, but I can study my ass off. If it's something that can be studied, I'm sure I can excel in it.

Do you need good English to graduate from Waterloo Engineering?
Do you have to be smart-talented to graduate from Waterloo Engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For many university courses English is used.

Even a science course might ask you to write papers or things like that, though not necessarily.

At Waterloo you also have to pass the ELPE, English language proficiency test - don't think it's intense though.

The reason they have the English requirement is that they want to make sure you are at a university reading and writing level. There are very few careers where these skills are not necessary.

Definitely re-take the course. Pay attention in class, do your readings. I found that reading more helped me with things like my vocabulary and grammar, depending on what your issues are in the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kirenne Kirenne
Definitely upgrade your english and re-apply if Waterloo is where you want to be! I'm not personally in Engineering, but I know a few people in it, and they always get amazing co-op jobs. Also: Waterloo gives a LOT of funding to Engineering, so there's been new buildings for Engineering being built the last couple years. From what I do know about it, I'd recommend it!

The last post mentioned the ELPE test. It's NOT difficult, and I promise it's nothing to worry about unless (and this is just a maybe) your second language is English. A lot of international students attend Waterloo, and this is probably one of the reasons for the ELPE. It's just a really easy essay question: as long as you make sense and have valid arguments, they pass you. And even if you don't pass, you can re-take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@DK18 wrote

So I'm thinking of upgrading, and re-applying for the winter term (I don't want to be a WHOLE year behind..)

You can't enter UW Engineering in the winter or spring terms. http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/winter.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
I don't know how the Waterloo admissions people are, but if you can manage to get a final mark of high 70s, definitely talk to them and see if there's anything they can do. I know U of T does that, it doesn't hurt to try.
Was this helpful? Yes 0