yconic - Renting Textbooks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Renting Textbooks

A photo of MissThompson MissThompson
Renting textbooks can help save you tons of money and lots of people don't even know that this service is available!

www.bookmob.ca

You have to be 18 to join and rent textbooks. They only cater to students in Canada as of right now! Check the prices, some are actually amazing and you can rent them for 30, 60, 90, or 120 days! And if you need longer just expand your rent time. They have free membership and free return shipping!

Just thought I should tell everyone that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1
21 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You're not even in university and yet you're promoting how "good" it is to rent textbooks? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhy1030 jhy1030
Does anyone know a site for selling and buying used textbooks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MissThompson MissThompson
Books4exchange.com

That is a place to buy and sell textbooks to/from fellow University members.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of AMurray AMurray
Awesome! This looks like it could save a lot of money :) I don't know what it is like for other people, but my textbooks typically cost over $200...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ragingbronco ragingbronco
WOW!! Im in 3rd year Civil Engineering and I've spent far to much on books. Thanks alot for the help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Renting only works in some cases...you are still spending money. Consider buying the textbook (new of used) and reselling it. Sometimes you loose less money this way. However sometimes renting is the more economical option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alyciap alyciap
I agree that used textbooks are the best way to go -- you might need to refer to textbooks at a later date, after all. Used textbooks and New textbooks go for the same price when you resell them, and so there's no real advantage to new textbooks, and there's not a lot of money loss if you buy used and resell.

If you're thinking about renting, most professors will put textbooks on hold in the campus library anyway. Thinking about your future, some textbooks are really good to have on hand considering graduate school, medical school and so on. My professor for a 300level biology course said she referred to her third year notes and textbooks to review some of the material for the class when she was first hired.

Your campus bookstore should also have an advertisement section where you can buy used books from other users. Editions rarely matter, don't bother renting or buying a textbook new because you want the latest edition. For my Microbiology class, I saved 50% of the cost buying used from an ad around campus, because it was an older edition and the bookstore does not buy those back.

It had the exact same info, and my professor even outlined problem sets and readings in the older and newer edition.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyyli8 cyyli8
Renting is a good idea. However, if not possible to rent, make connections with others in your faculty, especially younger. Often you'll be able to sell them as they take similar courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyharrod emilyharrod
is it easy to find used textbooks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessganci jessganci
amazon has many of the text books for cheap and there new
I payed 40$ for a $100 textbook
its great!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MissThompson wrote
Renting textbooks can help save you tons of money and lots of people don't even know that this service is available!

www.bookmob.ca

You have to be 18 to join and rent textbooks. They only cater to students in Canada as of right now! Check the prices, some are actually amazing and you can rent them for 30, 60, 90, or 120 days! And if you need longer just expand your rent time. They have free membership and free return shipping!

Just thought I should tell everyone that :)

How much does it cost to 'rent' a textbook ? Do they just send them to you in the mail or something ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kaylamarie21 Kaylamarie21
Renting textbooks is a great way to save money ! Unless you lose them. So make sure they are always in site!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anberlin1990 anberlin1990
another site to look for used textbooks is chapters/indigo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwhitney mwhitney
Thanks for the info, all! I'll keep it in mind!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashley.j ashley.j
wow renting textbooks. that may come in handy next year, to bad that we cant buy it intead for the same price. lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've bought a few of my textbooks from www.coursesmart.com as online versions of the textbooks. This way, I have access to my textbook from any computer and it doesn't weigh anything! The online version is easy to use, and you can even highlight stuff in it. I paid $45 for a $140 textbook by buying the online version so it's definitely cheaper.

Many profs put textbooks on reserve at the library. At my library, you get to take out the textbook for 2 hours at a time. It forces you to work efficiently within the time limit and it doesn't cost anything to use it.

Lastly, amazon does have cheap textbooks. As long as you are sure you will need the text book, if you order it a week or so before class starts, you should receive it on time.

I would recommend waiting until the first week of class before you buy any textbooks. Sometimes the profs won't really use the book and you might not want to invest in it.

Lastly, if you are able to meet with some upper-year students in your program, you could buy used textbooks from them at a low price. They'll be glad to get rid of them and get some cash too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaForson LindaForson
I would have to agree with the idea of getting them off amazon. I know of people buying retail priced textbooks of $80 and getting them on the site for $10. Although the time to get them can be an issue.

You could also put ur money together to buy a text book and photocopy them. Its a little tedious but it saves a lot of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MrsCasanova MrsCasanova
can someone explain this concept of "renting" textbooks? I never heard of it before, i just buy them used and sell them after the course is done
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MrsCasanova wrote
can someone explain this concept of "renting" textbooks? I never heard of it before, i just buy them used and sell them after the course is done

Exactly, which is why renting makes so sense. I guess you rent it for the duration of the course, then have to return it afterwards?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SAMS SAMS
I haven't heard of renting textbooks.
But I found that buying used text books from other students is great!
As well buying used text books from books stores online saves a lot of money, however it can sometimes take a while to get them so it is best to order them a month or so before they are needed!
Some school book stores also sell used text books but they are hard to get since they go so fast!
Was this helpful? Yes 0