yconic - Repeat Grade 11 Chemistry?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Repeat Grade 11 Chemistry?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Well here's my plan:
I did horrible in Math (Grade 11 Functions) and Chemistry (Grade 11) and i got around 75 on both of them, which is way below what some universities expect.

So to make up for my math mark I have advance functions first semester next year (Because i also took calculus), so when i apply they can look at my Advance Functions mark instead of my grade 11 functions.

Now for chemistry, i don't know if i have it first semester or second semester so i am just going to take it in summer school to replace the grade 11 chemistry.

Is this a good idea?
Will universities know i repeated a grade 11 course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
They don't care about Grade 11 courses, they are only used for early admission. Don't repeat Grade 11 courses unless you failed them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@g93 wrote
They don't care about Grade 11 courses, they are only used for early admission. Don't repeat Grade 11 courses unless you failed them.

This. Why would you put yourself through all that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@g93 wrote

This. Why would you put yourself through all that?

But i want early admission! I want to secure my spot in university, and not be stressed for 5 months wondering whether i will make it or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you want to redo them, then do private/summer/night school courses. Honestly, if you failed grade 11 math and chemistry, you're going to have a tough time in grade 12. At my school, grade 12 chem is the hardest course(supposedly) in the school. I know of friends who told me that grade 11 chem, compared to grade 12 chem, is a joke. I myself took grade 11 math and got 90s in it without doing the homework but found myself working harder for advanced functions and more so for calculus.

Early admission is pure bragging rights. Also, Waterloo looks at repeated courses, even if it's in day school so... good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mutuba mutuba
Lol it's actually kind of funny how it seems like the only school you're applying to is Waterloo and its probably the university in Canada that cares the most (dislikes) about repeated high school courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@mutuba wrote
Lol it's actually kind of funny how it seems like the only school you're applying to is Waterloo and its probably the university in Canada that cares the most (dislikes) about repeated high school courses.

This. And also sort of U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Don't waste your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@mutuba wrote

But its grade 11, i don't think i get penalized? Do i?

I just want to upgrade my mark, that's all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why don't you just take g12 chem in summer school? Then they'll look at your g12 chem mark instead of your g11 chem mark.

I really wouldn't bother retaking g11 chem. It's just such a waste of 4 weeks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know for sure they penalize grade 12 retaken courses, I am not sure about grade 11. I would think they would because for early admission, they'd have to look at grade 11 marks and it would basically work in the same fashion as when they look at your marks for grade 12.

Seriously, don't waste your time. You should summer school English or Chemistry instead. I don't know why you are so convinced that early admission is the way to go. I know a friend who had my school's highest female average(95%+, i think) and she was accepted into Waterloo in February which is after your first semester of grade 12. They'll still have three or four grade 12 marks to look at and it's better to have more for them to look at(say five or six), than fewer. My point is, grade 11 chemistry isn't important. Early acceptance isn't important. If you didn't do well on your first try, then what's done is done. Wasting your time trying to get a higher mark for early acceptance(which is only for students with a 90% average and above) is a completely ludicrous.

Obviously, if you want to take it go ahead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
LOL Its all good guys im taking grade 12 English in summer school :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0