yconic - Repeating Advanced Functions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Repeating Advanced Functions

A photo of jaymeshaughnessy jaymeshaughnessy
Hey guys!

I'm planning on applying to a few life science/biomedical science programs at schools such as Western, McMaster and Queen's. I am currently fast tracking by taking advanced function in gr.11. However, I am not getting my desired mark (I'm getting in the 70's) and this was because I did not pass a test and my average was lowered.

If I were to repeat advanced functions in summer school because I did not achieve my desired mark, do you think universities will look down upon this?

If I were to repeat a pre-requisite course would this lower my chances of being accepted? And will I have no chance for early acceptance?

Please share your experiences, I'm really unsure of what I should do. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of jaymeshaughnessy jaymeshaughnessy
I started this question. I wanted to add something. I understand that most universities claim that they only take the highest mark into consideration, but has anyone been in a situation like this before? How did things work out for you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Ahh ADVANCED FUNCTIONS! I repeated this course. I got a 50% the first time and 75% the second time. I had the same teacher both times. I still got into all of the programs I applied to and it was a pre-req. I also took calculus and I did better in that but only a 67%. Make sure your other marks are strong, mine were. It was just the advanced functions but I did well in first year calculus in my program. Finished with a 70% I was shocked but I'm telling you advanced functions is as hard as it gets. University math is a lot easier (In the life sciences).

:cheers: Good Luck. I know Guelph looks at the highest mark but not sure of other universities. Some take the average between the two, three or four...it happens :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0