yconic - required to withdraw + acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

required to withdraw + acceptance

A photo of pumpernickel pumpernickel
Hi guys, so my first year of university didn't go too well. I did really bad and was required to withdraw (there were extenuating circumstances involved only I can't really prove it...). I then applied to Athabasca university and took a full course load each semester. I did really well and ended up getting a 3.6 gpa. Now my question is: do you think it would be possible for me to transfer to another university, a really good one like mcgill, even though I did so terribly my first year? I would be studying something completely different in the arts and not sciences and mathematics like in my first year. I know, I know it really does sound like a crazy and stupid question, but do you think there is even a 1% chance that it may be possible? Your brutal honesty is much appreciated thank you!!! :colors: and good luck to all in university
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
A 3.6 GPA is "doing really bad"?!
Or did you have to withdraw because of something other than your academics...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444

@cyynthiia wrote

i think he means that he got a 3.6 gpa in his second year (after he was kicked out of his original program)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444

@cyynthiia wrote

i think he means that he got a 3.6 gpa in his second year (after he was kicked out of his original program)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ambrotious Ambrotious
Hey! I don't think you have anything to worry about. I was basically in a similar boat, only worse. My first year was okay, but then my next two were terrible and then I was required to withdraw. Then I went back to University for 2 years and got similar grades, about 3.6-7. Afterward, I applied to post-grad universities and so far have been accepted into 4 of the 5 schools I applied to, each of which only take between 60-150 students in this program per year. I also included a letter of extenuating circumstances with my applications, to explain how I did not focus on my schooling before but, since taking time off I have learnt about what is important, and grown as a person, and how my marks upon returning demonstrate my ability and dedication. I think if you are sure to include a letter showing how committed you are now, and that the past is in the past, that you will have no problem transfering. Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@cyynthiia wrote

Did you even read his post?

Since McGill would see your first-year marks (which are presumably failing, or close to) I don't think you would have much of a chance. But you could still transfer to a school that's better than Athabasca (though not as good as McGill) probably. Just contact the admissions offices for the schools you're interested in and ask what the criteria are for transfer students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0