yconic - res for first year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

res for first year?

A photo of Gillie_N Gillie_N
I've been getting mixed messages about living in residence, especially in the first year.
Any thoughts from those who did it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of mandie606 mandie606
I'm currently a first year, and I'm writing this from my dorm room :)

Honestly, I enjoy the experience. Our residence staff constantly throws parties and mixers for us, to it's very easy and fun to meet new people.

The only bad experience for me were my roommates. I originally went into a 4-bedroom dorm. To me, it was hell. They were all hardcore partiers and drunkards, and I was in school for the schooling, not the parties. They were also really lazy and never cleaned up after themselves, and they took up ALL the space in the fridge and freezer. Before our winter break, I got a room change into a double room, which I like better. My roommate is still not perfect, but she spends most of her time in her boyfriend's room so it's usually quiet here. :)

Also, what sucked for me was that I have no idea how to cook, haha. So I've been surviving on microwave meals and instant noodles. (Learn how to cook before hand!) I also do not have my drivers license so I keep having to walk to the grocery store every weekend to stock up.

Hope I helped!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tripleabatt tripleabatt
I think it's a pretty good experience and if won't put too much of a dent in your wallet, then why not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It was a good decision in my case. I was randomly put with 3 girls in our suite - they're now my best friends at university and I'm still living with them (off campus in a house).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kraken kraken
res overall was good, though my floor was boring.
Was this helpful? Yes 0