yconic - Res or No Res?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Res or No Res?

A photo of cathyt cathyt
I can't decide between living on or off res for university? (by off res, I mean staying at home)
Is university life really that different when you live on residence? Is it worth spending money on residence for the experience, or saving it by staying home?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
79 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
I would say it largely depends on what school you're considering and how social you are. For example, I know people at UWO who lived off campus in first year who got just as involved (usually more) and had just as amazing of an experience as people who lived on campus; on the other hand, I'm sure there were a lot of commuter students who didn't get that involved at all. So I guess the big questions are..

Do you want to make friends on campus?
Are you willing to put out the extra effort to get involved?
And how much of a social advantage will living in residence give you? (ie, if you're thinking about UofT, most students don't live in res so the difference in experience will be marginal.)

Just some things to think about, people live both ways.
Personally, I loved my residence experience and the people I met through it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Another thing to consider is how far you live from campus. Personally I live in the suburbs and, while most people in my area wouldn't go into res, if you want to be involved on campus in clubs or teams it's difficult because of the hour plus commute to campus (on the bus). Some people may not be able to join these kinds of activities because they end after the local bus routes finish and they have no other way to get home.

So consider how involved you want to be and how far you live from campus. If you can walk to class from home that's great, but if you'll need a car that'll cost money as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Live in res. It is 100% worth the money in first year. There is no better way to experience University. You need to live away from home to grow up. Plus, you cannot beat the convenience, which to me is everything.

If you think you'll still be involved in the community without living in res, you'll be twice as involved and have way more fun living in res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Avoid residence at all cost.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
ARMY101 posts that in every forum. Take his opinion for what it is, his opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
His opinion is good, as not everyone likes residence, but it can be deceiving to some who will read this thread and see that two people say they loved residence and one person says avoid residence at all cost, giving the impression that 2/3 people love rez. In reality, in my experience, it's more like 95/100 people love rez. So what Army is doing is assuming that the OP is one of the 5 or so of 100 people who wouldn't like rez, which is a stupid assumption.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Army is just a master troll. His arguements about not being a troll are further proof of this, he's just too good. Also rez for sure move out of your parents house and grow up a little bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of devi devi

@Yaroslav64 wrote
Army is just a master troll. His arguements about not being a troll are further proof of this, he's just too good. Also rez for sure move the fu-ck out of your parents house and grow up a little bit.

this

army101 did not even experience residence so his opinion is 100% meaningless. rez was effing awesome, dont pass up the opportunity cause you won't get another chance. yeah the fire alarm will get pulled the night before a midterm, and yeah people will have music loud as screw some nights, but thats what makes residence fun, and you can look back on it and laugh at it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Yaroslav64 wrote
Army is just a master troll. His arguements about not being a troll are further proof of this, he's just too good. Also rez for sure move the fu-ck out of your parents house and grow up a little bit.

My comment was nothing of the sort. If you ask me in person I'll give you the same answer.

Moving to residence means you're "growing up"? Hah! More like moving to residence pushes you into violent, sexual, drug-fueled criminal activity. That's hardly becoming a mature adult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
I break the law every time i drive 101 km/h or higher on the 401. I break the law everytime i roll through a stop sign.

In residence, the only law I ever broke was underage drinking, which is a provincial offence, not a federal, criminal offence. Notice how you cannot go to jail for underage drinking. I may have J walked a few times but don't tell anyone ok?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

don't forget pirating of movies/music/games as breaking the law :D

I went out of province for uni so I lived on res for 1st year, and in 2nd year I share an apartment with friends.

I am in U of T and I met many people on res (or apartments near campus) who actually had the option to live at home as they lived in the greater toronto area. Most of them said they preferred to live on campus (or close by) for one and only one reason: COMMUTING.

Many suburban homes in the GTA, especially in Markham, are 1-2 hours away from U of T by public transport, and driving to campus is not an option in the rush hour of early morning - it's probably faster to walk than to drive on Highway 401 at 8 am. In addition, the TTC is filthy, overpriced, and generally not too pleasant, plus it's quite unreliable outside of the subway portion (which also has its share of delays and breakdowns). Residents of Mississauga are also slapped with the cost and inconvenience of the GO train. Having to commute to U of T from the suburbs equates to an unpleasant waste of time, which is especially sensitive for engineering students with their high workloads. And that is why those who can afford it, will immediately opt to stay on res or rent near campus, even though they live in the GTA.

If you're from a different city you might have a different opinion - i.e. I am from Vancouver and my home is only 20 minutes away from UBC by car, and the route is nowhere near as congested as Toronto is in the early morning. Had I chosen UBC I probably would've bought a cheap used car and just driven there.

Now what are the actual perks of living on res for any uni? The social life, the feeling of being independent, and the convenience of a dining hall on the first floor.

What are the bad aspects? The fact that it's too easy to get distracted from studies, plus the food might suck. And the cost.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@kiddinaround wrote
I break the law every time i drive 101 km/h or higher on the 401. I break the law everytime i roll through a stop sign.

Shame.

In residence, the only law I ever broke was underage drinking, which is a provincial offence, not a federal, criminal offence.

What does that matter? Breaking the law is breaking the law. Committing a crime is serious regardless of which crime it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I never really thought of myself as a criminal... but I guess I am!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I never really thought of myself as a criminal... but I guess I am!

If you've committed a crime you're a criminal. Why is that such a revolutionary statement?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Maybe very technically speaking, yes, but from a practical communication perspective, no. If the definition of "criminal" were "one who has committed a crime of any sort," then I'm sure everyone could be considered a criminal. What a useless term it would be.

My point being that while YOU consider me a criminal, and thus consider me a person to avoid, I am actually a pretty normal, straight-edged guy. As a kid, and to this day, I was one of the very few people who didn't pick on other kids and wasn't picked on by other kids. Most of the people who meet me would consider me kind; very, very, very few would consider me mean. But, yes, I should be avoided.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I never said you were someone to be avoided; most of your comments have been relevant and well thought through, even if I don't agree with all of them. Defining someone as a criminal just demonstrates that person's morality and commitment to society. It's not the be-all-end-all definition to only associate with perfect people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0