yconic - Residence @ Laurier
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Residence @ Laurier

A photo of 007 007
How lenient are dons with loud music in a dorm style residence? I love listening to music and when i listen to music, I need it loud. So it dorm style res a bad idea for me?

Also, i heard that most residence buildings do not have a cafeteria in them so how far do you have to go to get food? And is this a hassle in the winter or when its raining?

Are the people on your floor most likely going to be people from your program or is everyone mixed up?

Also could you guys give any additional interesting information about Laurier (regarding social life or just res)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@007 wrote
How lenient are dons with loud music in a dorm style residence? I love listening to music and when i listen to music, I need it loud. So it dorm style res a bad idea for me?

Also, i heard that most residence buildings do not have a cafeteria in them so how far do you have to go to get food? And is this a hassle in the winter or when its raining?

Are the people on your floor most likely going to be people from your program or is everyone mixed up?

Also could you guys give any additional interesting information about Laurier (regarding social life or just res)

There's underground tunnels at Laurier, and it is a very condensed campus.

It's a great atmosphere, and the girls are fine ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 007 007

@johnnycanuck wrote

@007 wrote

So there's underground tunnels that take you to the main food place?

And having nice girls is always fun ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@007 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@007 wrote

So there's underground tunnels that take you to the main food place?

And having nice girls is always fun ;)

I know there's a whole bunch that go to most of the buildings, I don't know 100% for sure if you can get from any rez to the food though.

And yes, yes it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cmcneil92 cmcneil92
I don't know what you're talking about, Laurier doesn't have underground tunnels.... many of the main buildings are connected to each other, but not to any residences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 007 007

@cmcneil92 wrote
I don't know what you're talking about, Laurier doesn't have underground tunnels.... many of the main buildings are connected to each other, but not to any residences.

ahaha i guess i got some misleading information. Could you please try to answer some of my other questions as well? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 007 007

@cmcneil92 wrote

ahaha i guess i got some misleading information. Could you please try to answer some of my other questions as well? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

cmcneil92 hasn't explored the campus in its entirety then. I did note that I wasn't sure if the residences were connected via underground tunnels. I think at least one is iirc, but can't tell you for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
There are underground tunnels, but they are very small and really only connect the main academic buildings - most of which are also connected through normal hallways.

I've been at WLU for the Leadership in Business Conference for the past 4 days and I'm almost positive there is no way to get to the dining hall without going outside - and since it rained everyday we would have gone inside if we could have.

Regarding loud music - you need to respect the other people you're living with, whether you're in a dorm or a suite. Most people won't appreciate music being too loud, so I would suggest a good set of headphones. The biggest issue with loud music would be at nights and during exams - residences would have enforced quiet hours though.

Most likely the people you would be living with will be from a variety of programs. Rooms are assigned on a lottery so it's relatively random. The only exception I can think of is the SBE Living-Learning floor where everyone is in BBA (and maybe BA Econ) but that is just 1 floor - approximately 20 people.

Other Info:
- Laurier has a pile of residnece buildings ina bunch of different styles. These range from double dorm rooms, to a suite with 6 people
- Some residences are off-campus a little ways (particularily University Place)
- There are 2 all-girls rresidences and one that is all male
- The only real 'meal plan' dining area is the dining hall located in the centre of campus. Both the King Street and Waterloo College Hall dorm-style residences are slightly removed from campus and have a small amount of items available in mini cafes on their main floors

That's all I can think of for now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ARMY102 ARMY102

@North wrote

- There are 2 all-girls rresidences

How much are season passes?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of North North

@junior21 wrote
I understand Laurier's residence is lottery based other then for those with 90+. However if I want a single dorm room, what are my odds at getting it. I don't think I'd be able to live with people I don't know, especially if I had to sleep in the same room with them (double). If I accept and end up in the all guy rez in a double room, I don't even know if I'd want to go there, would I have to reject or could I some how switch.

The odds are really dependent on how many people want a specific style and how manyhave 90%+ averages so it's impossible to predict.

For males there are only 3 places that have single dorm rooms (for females Clara Conrad has a few singles) King Street and Waterloo College Hall are both newer and house around 315 students. Willison is an older residence that has about 75 single rooms - though I think that they use 1 floor of these for the Leadership Learning Community

Once you pay your residence deposit you can decline the contract if you don't like the room assignment - but you lost the deposit and need to find somewhere else to live. But give it a try - lots of people end up somewhere they thought they'd hate and end up loving it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@johnnycanuck wrote
cmcneil92 hasn't explored the campus in its entirety then. I did note that I wasn't sure if the residences were connected via underground tunnels. I think at least one is iirc, but can't tell you for sure.

i'm pretty sure i know the campus pretty well, seeing as i just finished my first year there...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@junior21 wrote
Didn't really help at all ha... So chances are I won't get a single dorm room? If I don't I probably won't even want to go to Laurier. Could I change and accept to another university?

Well obviously you aren't guarunteed 100% a single room, but there is a large chance you could get it... dorms with all single rooms are King St. and WCH, and then Willison has some, as does Conrad (if you are a girl lol). I dunno if Little House has any. and then all apartment style residences are pretty much single room, it's pretty unlikely to get a double room in there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cmcneil92 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

i'm pretty sure i know the campus pretty well, seeing as i just finished my first year there...

Have you or have you not been in the underground tunnels? If the answer is no, you have not explored the campus in its entirety.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
Have you or have you not been in the underground tunnels? If the answer is no, you have not explored the campus in its entirety.

There aren't any tunnels underground, as I said many of the buildings are connected, but not by 'underground tunnels'. One building simply leads into another, and if there are tunnels, they aren't underground. If you are trying to prove me wrong, provide an example.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cmcneil92 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

There aren't any tunnels underground, as I said many of the buildings are connected, but not by 'underground tunnels'. One building simply leads into another, and if there are tunnels, they aren't underground. If you are trying to prove me wrong, provide an example.

Unless they have massively renovated everything in the past two months, then yes there are underground tunnels. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to show you an example, but if you are currently at Laurier, why don't you go walk around, head down and see what you come up with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@cmcneil92 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Unless they have massively renovated everything in the past two months, then yes there are underground tunnels. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to show you an example, but if you are currently at Laurier, why don't you go walk around, head down and see what you come up with?

semester's over.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cmcneil92 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@cmcneil92 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

semester's over.

You could go back for a day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 007 007
bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AuroraK AuroraK

@007 wrote

Well I finished my first year as a BBA student so I pretty much know most of the campus.

The music thing depends on the how chilled your dons are. However most people won't appreciate the loud sound and there are quiet hours in place from usually after 11 PM to 10 AM. Apartment style is probably a better option because dons don't usually barge in to the rooms unless it's for room checks or alcohol violations.

Waterloo College Hall and King's Street res are the only buildings that have a little snack shop in. WCH is however ridiculously overpriced and King's Street is just a small little Tim Hortons.

Within the campus though, there are two food areas: The Terrace and the Dining Hall. Both of these places cannot be accessed through any residence buildings and so yes, you do have to go out to get these residence and venture outside. It's not bad though. It's better than having to go through a bigger campus to get your food (*cough* UW *cough*). It usually takes less than 5 minutes to walk from most residences to get there.

The floor is mixed from different people from different programs unless you want to join those learning communities for BBA students.

Social life... All I can say, it's what you make it out to be. If you wanna party, then it will happen. If you don't, you don't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of AuroraK AuroraK
It's nothing like high school. Cliques don't happen. Everyone is all good-going and friendly (that applies to all the universities and not just Laurier).

If your intentions are to meet brown people, Laurier does have a decent brown population but it's like a minority in this university. There are a few clubs for them though... There's a dance club called "East Meets West" (or was it the other way other?) which are mostly composed of that descent and they did pretty well last I heard. I had a friend in that club and I think they got second place in a competition.

As for fitness facilities, they're not bad. I've worked out a bit there and most of the equipments are in a good condition. There's also a rock climbing section in that building if you're interested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0