yconic - Residence Deposit Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Residence Deposit Question

A photo of Galactical Galactical
I just learned that you have to pay a $1500 deposit if you wanna live in McGill residence... I wanna know how they expect you to pay this amount if you do not have a job and your parents are low income and cannot afford to pay this for you? It says this deposit will count towards my first month rent..OSAP is paying for my rent..Why do I have to pay for it? Do you get this deposit back? Can you get OSAP to pay for it? I would appreciate replies. Please answer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@Galactical wrote
I just learned that you have to pay a $1500 deposit if you wanna live in McGill residence... I wanna know how they expect you to pay this amount if you do not have a job and your parents are low income and cannot afford to pay this for you? It says this deposit will count towards my first month rent..OSAP is paying for my rent..Why do I have to pay for it? Do you get this deposit back? Can you get OSAP to pay for it? I would appreciate replies. Please answer!

Take out loans at the bank I guess... McGill doesn't give very good student aid. Why don't you get a job in the summer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Well at Guelph the residence deposit was $500.00 and I'm in the same situation my parents are low income, I had no job and I was waiting for OSAP. You have no choice but to pay it you are going to get a bank loan or borrow from a friend. OSAP *should* give you enough money for the year but it all depends on your parents income..etc

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical
hmm, well this is what Aminamb told me:

the 1500$ deposit is definitely used. i just checked my minerva and they seem to have put the 1500$ towards my bill on september 30th. that bill includes my tuition and around 800$ for rent that month and 2500$ for the meal plan that semester. i come from a low income family too, so what i did and waht you can do to, is pay the deposit on a credit card if you can. then osap will give you your money at the beginning-ish of september (i got mine sept 15th but i was late turning in my papers). when you get your osap money, its put directly into your bank account, take 1500$ of it and give it back to your parents. is that feasible? if not you can definitely give them a call and im sure they can do something about it!

i dont know if the osap you get includes the first month of expenses tho..
Was this helpful? Yes 0