yconic - Residence Life
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Residence Life

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm sure many high school students have questions on what the best idea is for living accommodations.

I advise that first-year university students give residence a try. It is a fabulous way to meet people and you will find academic support because you are all facing the same problems in school. I have lived in university residence as well as in a house off-campus. I strongly suggest that as you progress through your degree, you begin to live in a place that enables you to study more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
51 replies

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
On that note, I live in apartment style res. Thats another good option because it allows you to have your own personal space when you need it (and you don't have to share a washroom with 20 people)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Study all day
Party all night
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
apartment styleee ftw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
Apartment style is great for those who can cook. If you can't cook....live in regular res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ladies and gentlemen,

Grace is certainly delusional and offers only the most simplistic view of residence life.

A more in depth and proper view on residence will show you it is a cesspool of disgusting criminal activity and moral deviants. Several studies have confirmed this. Avoid residence at all costs. Stay at home with your parents or get your own apartment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
Ladies and gentlemen,

ARMY101 is certainly delusional and only offers a loser's view of residence life.

This kid did not even attend his frosh week because he thought it was lame and there were better things to do with his time. I highly doubt you want to take any sort of social advice from this kid. He has a grand total of 4 friends (one being his cat).

If possible, live in res during your first year...a great way to meet people and try new experiences. If you cannot live in res because you live really close to your school or due to financial constraints...at the very least ATTEND frosh week and get involved in clubs/activities/events. Going through 4 years of university with no social life is going to suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ederoo wrote
Ladies and gentlemen,

ARMY101 is certainly delusional and only offers a loser's view of residence life.

This kid did not even attend his frosh week because he thought it was lame and there were better things to do with his time. I highly doubt you want to take any sort of social advice from this kid. He has a grand total of 4 friends (one being his cat).

If possible, live in res during your first year...a great way to meet people and try new experiences. If you cannot live in res because you live really close to your school or due to financial constraints...at the very least ATTEND frosh week and get involved in clubs/activities/events. Going through 4 years of university with no social life is going to suck.

This is not true in the slightest. I have hundreds of friends who are legitimate people and some of them have lived in residence. I have a great social life: I'm out almost every weekend to some sort of club, bar, or social event.

*Shock* How is that possible if I didn't go to residence?

Residence offers you nothing when it comes to building relationships or meeting new people. All it will do you for is allow you to meet people a week or two before everyone else, but once everyone is on campus there is no difference. You'll meet everyone and people naturally gravitate to like-minded personalities without the help of residence.

But what does residence offer? A breeding ground for horrible, immoral people. A cesspool of criminals. And an unfortunate gang-mentality to target and force otherwise normal people to commit illegal, immoral acts.

Stay away from it. You don't need it. Get an apartment or stay at home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
At Trinity College, we promote under-aged drinking.

All the more reason to live in res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
I'm going to start smoking once I get to rez. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am definitely going to stay in rez and go to frosh week. Maybe during 2nd year I would move to off campus housing, but first year I will be in rez for sure. Rez life sounds pretty awesome.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah

@ARMY101 wrote

@ederoo wrote
Ladies and gentlemen,

This is not true in the slightest. I have hundreds of friends who are legitimate people and some of them have lived in residence. I have a great social life: I'm out almost every weekend to some sort of club, bar, or social event.

Residence offers you nothing when it comes to building relationships or meeting new people. All it will do you for is allow you to meet people a week or two before everyone else, but once everyone is on campus there is no difference. You'll meet everyone and people naturally gravitate to like-minded personalities without the help of residence.

But what does residence offer? A breeding ground for horrible, immoral people. A cesspool of criminals. And an unfortunate gang-mentality to target and force otherwise normal people to commit illegal, immoral acts.

How much criminal activity actually goes down in rez?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@ederoo wrote
Ladies and gentlemen,

How much criminal activity actually goes down in rez?

About 100,000 acts per university, per 8-month year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@ARMY101 wrote

That sounds awesome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo

@clairec21 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

That sounds awesome!

It IS awesome.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BillyShears BillyShears
Residence gets you laid!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ But more likely sexiled.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm going to be really loud.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eedensp eedensp
ok so anyways if we're done arguing i have real questions- is rez really all partying? i need sleep and study time, i'm straight edge, and i understand your all thinking i'm a loser. that note aside should i even give residence a thought?? it seems really expensive so i don't know...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@eedensp wrote
ok so anyways if we're done arguing i have real questions- is rez really all partying? i need sleep and study time, i'm straight edge, and i understand your all thinking i'm a loser. that note aside should i even give residence a thought?? it seems really expensive so i don't know...

There's usually a quiet or substance-free floor in residence. You should look into it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of totalquality totalquality
I've been wondering the same thing. Two of the universities I applied to are nearby and I'll be able to bus there. But I'd really love to go to McMaster, which is farther away. Residence would certainly be easier, at least in first year, but I definitely need to be able to concentrate and off-campus will be cheaper (I can cook etc. so I'd be fine).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo

@eedensp wrote

For most people, living in rez in first year is an AMAZING experience. Regardless of what school you choose or what rez you end up in, there'll be parties in rez (particularly on Fri & Sat nights, special occasions like homecoming, halloween, st. patty's, etc.). However, I disagree that it's all partying. The students are in university to get an education; that being said, when mid-terms & finals roll around, there'll be no parties in rez because everyone will be studying. Furthermore, Residence Advisors (RAs) on each floor are there to ensure that quiet hours are enforced after a certain time. So for instance, if a party is super loud at 2am, the RA will come and either tell them to shut it down or tone down the noise level, etc. Don't feel like you NEED to party; that's simply not the case. I have a lot of friends who, when they were in rez, never partied, never drank, did well in school while living in rez, etc.

In terms of cost, it is really expensive. Traditional style (aka dorms) costs A LOT less than suite style (aka "apartment"-style)...so cost might play into how you decide to pick/rank your rez. Entering first year, some students get entrance scholarship from their university, OSAP & queen elizabeth scholarship, and all that should typically cover a good chunk of your total cost in first year (tuition, rez, living cost, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of robino robino
living on campus is a great way to meet people. it also allows you to sleep in and not have to worry about busses or traffic.

i live in a rez where my building is connected by tunnels so i don't have to go outside in the -40 temperatures.
you also meet alot more people, but to do that you do have to leave your room and mingle with your building and your floor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0