yconic - RESIDENCE LIFE?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

RESIDENCE LIFE?

A photo of myungkyukim myungkyukim
I heard residence is the best way to get to know your peers and make friends during the frosh year.... but do you think thousands of dollars for residence is worth more than just getting a room or local appartment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No, it's not.

P.S. It's obvious you're just spamming the forums away to get your 5 posts to be entered for an award from the SA Administrators.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lammih Lammih

@ARMY101 wrote
No, it's not.

P.S. It's obvious you're just spamming the forums away to get your 5 posts to be entered for an award from the SA Administrators.

So what since when is it a crime to try and get financial help ???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
I'm gonna assume that the OP was actually asking a legit question and for other people with the same question... Rez life really helped me develop my personal character and was a lot of fun. That experience will be different for everyone so there is not absolute answer to give you, if you are able to pay for it then i would tell you to try it, at least for the first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of origamiprincess origamiprincess
I think that besides being a good place to meet new friends, it's also convenient location-wise to live in residence. The closer you are to your classes, the more sleep you'll probably get! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckybee luckybee
if you're moving to a new city i'd definitely reccomend res. it's a ton of fun and you do make lots of friends. and depending on the city, res can actually be cheaper than living off campus. however, if you already have people to live with and share rent with than that is also good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lammih wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
No, it's not.

So what since when is it a crime to try and get financial help ???

Because the forums are here for legitimate discussion, not to be spammed with useless or bogus questions so that a person can try and win some money.

There are several users here who have been around for years and never got anything for being a member. They deserve money more than any new user who just spams the forums for some free money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I don't know if OP was necessarily spamming, but I agree with the rest of what you just said. The increase in newcomers and pointless posts is evident.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of katiekmo katiekmo
ha. as long as people who are legitimately looking for help, get the help they need, then why complain about why theyre posting.

anyways. for those who are debating student housing over res. i have been in student housing 2 years in a row. ( never in res ) i agree that res would be a great way to meet people, but youll meet people no matter where you live during school. i loved student housing ( even though my roomates last year were a handful.. my roomates this year are amazing) and there arent as many rules as res (not that rules are bad, but i would not like the 23 hour silence at exams, the limits to stay overs at some places, and stuff like that) more privacy in a house aswell. just be careful with landlords. last year i had a man in my house (probably like 35+, not a student, and had 2 kids that would come over on weekends. hangover+kids= not fun) and the landlord said it was STUDENT housing.. research is def key when going into student housing, but i really think its the way to go.

good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@katiekmo wrote
ha. as long as people who are legitimately looking for help, get the help they need, then why complain about why theyre posting.

Clearly you're just spamming too. Good job.

I already answered that question: there are several good, productive users here who make excellent posts and don't receive any recognition for such. They put in hours and hours of work here, without asking for anything in return. These users certainly deserve any financial help or an award from StudentAwards more than someone who just registers here, makes the minimum, then leaves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I'm planning on going into residence because it'll be a new city and way of life. In residence there are some safety nets, like security, r.a's, and a smaller traveling distance so in the first year it seems like it'll be a big help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tanisha tanisha
I have done both on and off campus living and i sincerely believe in the benefit of living in residence. I returned to residence again this year as a Residence Assistant and it still blows me away the bonds and benefits that come from living in res. It gives you an opportunity to align with people who are in the same situation as you in a way you would never otherwise. You have your entire life to live in a house with roommates and yes its expensive...very expensive but no money can replace the experiences you gain living in the residence community. Thats just my two cents! :) hope it helps
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of delainnu delainnu
I think it's a lot better for people who, again, are new to the city. But I'm planning on going to UBC, hopefully, and was wondering the exact thing. Residence life or renting an apt. On my own? I don't know, but to me, I'd rather rent an apt. with one of my friends, who is also going to UBC, than live with people I don't really know. I can meet new people in class!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of tamaraleiva tamaraleiva
okay, so im having trouble deciding wether to live by myself in a single room or get a room-mate in a double room? there are so many pro's and con's & i really dont know what to do..im planning to go to York, so if anyone from there can help...what's better :( ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DecisivePumpkin DecisivePumpkin
Res life seems fun, if a little too full of partying for my taste, but I think you can benefit from some of the experience in a cheaper fashion.

There are other, cheaper student buildings only a short walk from the schools that are essentially the same, perhaps without the excessive partying (not a bad thing! You might study!). You'll live in a unit with about 4-6 other people, and there are many other units full of people in the same building. Lots of common areas, all that kind of thing.

I personally prefer this. You're responsible for your own food and laundry and cooking, but it's still that nice, full, student environment with a lot of services available to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DecisivePumpkin DecisivePumpkin

@tamaraleiva wrote
okay, so im having trouble deciding wether to live by myself in a single room or get a room-mate in a double room? there are so many pro's and con's & i really dont know what to do..im planning to go to York, so if anyone from there can help...what's better :( ?

I recently resolved the same issue, choosing between a single or a nearly $100 cheaper shared double, and I chose to go for the single. It's certainly cheaper to go with the double, but I know that I'll go crazy if I don't have that place that's just mine sometimes.

Also, as much as those horror stories about rowdy, drunk, partying roommates are mostly the exception in these situations, I want to be sure I have a quiet place to study.

So it's up to you. Could you reasonably live with someone else? Could you live with someone that's loud? How would you feel if you couldn't study at home? Do you find you need that personal space every once in a while?

It can make you seriously unhappy, depending on the kind of person you are, if you don't have that alone place to recharge. On the other hand, if you can study and live comfortably in a reasonable amount of noise or activity, then it's far cheaper for you to share.

Think about it a lot, it's a hard decision to make.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kassandra Kassandra
I highly recommend living on res first year. If you live off campus you tend to miss out on so many activities and you meet less people. I have friends that go to the same university has me and they regret not living on campus. It might be a bit more expensive, but it is only one year and you will miss out on so much if you don't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of korolukc korolukc

@delainnu wrote
I think it's a lot better for people who, again, are new to the city. But I'm planning on going to UBC, hopefully, and was wondering the exact thing. Residence life or renting an apt. On my own? I don't know, but to me, I'd rather rent an apt. with one of my friends, who is also going to UBC, than live with people I don't really know. I can meet new people in class!

I am at UBC right now and I would recommend residence. Everybody complains that it is overpriced, but when you consider monthly rent, utilities and groceries, you are actually saving a lot of money.
However, if you are first year, you will have to be in Vanier or Totem. I'm in Vanier right now, and I love it. However, the caf food gets very repetative and you get sick of it pretty quickly. Just another thing to consider when choosing housing, do you want to have to eat whatever is available for you, or do you want to be able to make your own?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cmcneil92 cmcneil92
I am in my first year, and it shocks me that there are people who don't want to live in rez their first year. I have met hundreds of people I wouldn't have met otherwise, and had access to resources i wouldn't have otherwise had, by living in rez. It's amazing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dianakoncan dianakoncan
Living in rez first year will be your best decision yet. That is, if you have a personalitly suitable for the residence lifestyle.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

Because the forums are here for legitimate discussion, not to be spammed with useless or bogus answers so that a person can try and win some money.

There are several users here who have been around for years and never got anything for being a member. They deserve money more than any new user who just spams the forums for some free money.

@ARMY101 wrote

@katiekmo wrote

Clearly you're just spamming too. Good job.

I already answered that question: there are several good, productive users here who make excellent posts and don't receive any recognition for such. They put in hours and hours of work here, without asking for anything in return. These users certainly deserve any financial help or an award from StudentAwards more than someone who just registers here, makes the minimum, then leaves.

Yea.... Um, army stop being a hypocrite :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NOIZmaker NOIZmaker
With regards to knowing your peers or meeting people the same thing goes for dorms as well as residence. I personally think living on residence gives you a wider range in terms of meeting new people. That way you're not simply subjected to meeting people who attend your school but the neighborhood. It'll also be an experience to live independently. I think going solo on residence is a good idea. But you gotta watch out for expenses and such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shortgen shortgen
Im currently at college first year heading off to university next year, and I found right away that people who live on rez knew more people and were more social. Im not sure if it was because I stayed in the same city Ive lived, but next year Im off to university and definitely staying in rez
Was this helpful? Yes 0