yconic - Residences at Guelph
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Residences at Guelph

A photo of x3rachel x3rachel
hey everyone :) can anyone help me out by filling me in on some of the best residences at guelph ? from the other forums ive seen alot of people prefer the north buildings over the others, but when i went down there i got to see LA and it looked terrible. south looked great though. it didnt seem too small at all and the idea of living in alcoves seemed kinda cool :) i dont really understand why everyone hates it so much hahah i never got to see johnston from the inside but does anyone know much about it ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of hobbes hobbes
I hung out a lot in North this year (my friend lives there) and LOVED it. I know LA is not the prettiest but it's got character and everyone was really social and nice and awesome. I didn't like South because the inside of it reminded me of a prison and it made me claustrophobic, haha. But that was just me :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dillabbo dillabbo
What is the best residence for student life, location etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93

@hobbes wrote
I hung out a lot in North this year (my friend lives there) and LOVED it. I know LA is not the prettiest but it's got character and everyone was really social and nice and awesome. I didn't like South because the inside of it reminded me of a prison and it made me claustrophobic, haha. But that was just me :)

Yeah, I ranked academic clusters first, then LA, then Johnston, and THEN south lol

All for single rooms except for Johnston.
What's the likelihood of a freshman getting a single? lol, I like personal space and all, I'm very introverted. I didn't apply to the less-than-average noise level thing, sounds intense, hahaa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of egbert egbert
the problem a lot of people have with south is that it gets very, VERY dirty. think 1800 freshmen partying, with no cleaning between friday and monday. that's 3 nights (3 nights worth of puke...). Most of the people i know who lived in south were alright with it at first but were already ready to go home in feb or march because it was so loud and dirty.
which res you pic depends on what you like..johnston, mills and maids are all very central so if you want convenience its a good bet to apply to one of them. johnston is quite nice inside, they are known to party a lot but it's cleaner than south.
if you want somewhere smaller and more close-knit the LLCs (living learning centres) are a great option. there's arts house, eco house, french house and international house (and no, you dont have to be in arts for arts house, in french for french house or international for international house lol). these all have ~50 people in each, the rooms in international house are literally HUGE (2x south or la) and arts house is really well located. eco and french are both in east.

getting a single is actually pretty likely. everyone i know who applied for one got one i think..i wouldn't sweat it too much anyways, they try to find you something that fits your preferences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thussung thussung
North residences are much preferable to South. I was in Lambton and it was fabulous -- nicer than LA in my opinion but still close enough if you need to run out for some Pit chicken wings at midnight.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of correda correda
johnston for suree! south was small,cramped and definetely felt like a prison when i went it smelt like pee..
Was this helpful? Yes 0