yconic - Residency.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Residency.

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
So when I was at the McGill open day last summer, I spoke to a woman at one of the information sessions who told me that because I was a Canadian Citizen (dual UK/Canada) but have never lived in Canada, after 3 months at uni at McGill I could apply to become a permanent resident of Quebec and therefore only have to pay local fees. This seemed a bit too convenient to be true so I was wondering if anyone can confirm / deny this or has any knowledge of the process?

Cheers.

(I know I've posted this already, but more people look here than in "international students")
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence
(if you don't mind me butting in - similar question, don't want to start another topic :P )

Born in Montreal, raised there for 10 years, been in Ontario for 8 years and graduating in Ontario. Illegible for 'Quebec student' fees? I was told I pay the same fees than any other Quebec student but paying 'pennies' (in comparison to ontario students)is ...too convenient to be true.

McGill here too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011

@OscarUK wrote
So when I was at the McGill open day last summer, I spoke to a woman at one of the information sessions who told me that because I was a Canadian Citizen (dual UK/Canada) but have never lived in Canada, after 3 months at uni at McGill I could apply to become a permanent resident of Quebec and therefore only have to pay local fees. This seemed a bit too convenient to be true so I was wondering if anyone can confirm / deny this or has any knowledge of the process?

Unless McGill totally messed it up, you would qualify under Situation 8 of "Quebec residents" on http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/.
Click on "Select this situation" and you will see the documentation required to prove your citizenship AND residency.
Just curious, are you currently paying the non-Quebec Canadian citizen or International student fees?
Good luck with your application!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@Konn2011 wrote

Unless McGill totally messed it up, you would qualify under Situation 8 of "Quebec residents" on http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/.
Click on "Select this situation" and you will see the documentation required to prove your citizenship AND residency.
Just curious, are you currently paying the non-Quebec Canadian citizen or International student fees?
Good luck with your application!

Perfect, that's exactly what I've been looking for. At the moment on my Minerva account it says legal and fee status: International, which is worrying as I applied as a canadian living abroad so should at least be on the domestic (non-quebec fees) however I have already emailed them my citizenship card so hopefully (once this admin strike is over) I can get this sorted. The documents required under situation 8; are they something I send before I go or something I do when I'm there? I guess it can only be done once I'm there as they require proof of quebec residency which clearly I don't yet have.

As for the application; that's all done and dusted... I applied last year and am currently on a gap year with deferred entry for 2012.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

Born in Montreal, raised there for 10 years, been in Ontario for 8 years and graduating in Ontario.

I love how I see this in every single SassyAmbivalence post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence

@rightsaidfred wrote

Born in Montreal, raised there for 10 years, been in Ontario for 8 years and graduating in Ontario.

I love how I see this in every single SassyAmbivalence post.

ROFLMAO

You've read it twice so far :D I love your interest in my posts :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0