yconic - Retaking a course
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Retaking a course

A photo of Caroshin Caroshin
Hey guys, I'm in the process of retaking an advanced functions course and noticed that some universities require a written explanation. However, some universities look at only calculus and english as opposed to advanced functions, and assuming that this course is not within my top 6, would I still require a letter of explanation? I understand that the wiser move would be to enclose a letter along with all my applications but I would rather avoid the task.
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@Caroshin wrote
Hey guys, I'm in the process of retaking an advanced functions course and noticed that some universities require a written explanation. However, some universities look at only calculus and english as opposed to advanced functions, and assuming that this course is not within my top 6, would I still require a letter of explanation? I understand that the wiser move would be to enclose a letter along with all my applications but I would rather avoid the task.
Thanks.

schulich requires you to provide a letter for retaking...keep in mind uoft will not accept repeated courses they will consider first attempts as the mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I don't think you'll need a letter if it's not part of your top 6/required courses...but I might be wrong. And yeah, Schu asks you to explain why in your supplementary, but they'll take your highest mark. Really depends on where you apply though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Viking21 wrote

@Caroshin wrote
Thanks.

schulich requires you to provide a letter for retaking...keep in mind uoft will not accept repeated courses they will consider first attempts as the mark.

Thanks for the responses, I'm aware of Schulich's response to retaking, thats why its my first choice :)

Last time I checked in OUAC, Rotman states that the prereqs were Calculus and English only, nothing about advanced functions. After asking someone at Unifair, they said a letter would be necessary to state why I retook the course, but my question is if it doesnt appear in my top 6 (and thus not used) would they completely disregard it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@Caroshin wrote

@Viking21 wrote

@Caroshin wrote
Thanks.

Thanks for the responses, I'm aware of Schulich's response to retaking, thats why its my first choice :)

Last time I checked in OUAC, Rotman states that the prereqs were Calculus and English only, nothing about advanced functions. After asking someone at Unifair, they said a letter would be necessary to state why I retook the course, but my question is if it doesnt appear in my top 6 (and thus not used) would they completely disregard it?

i would think...but then why did u retake it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Viking21 wrote

@Caroshin wrote

@Viking21 wrote

@Caroshin wrote
Thanks.

i would think...but then why did u retake it?

Schulich requires it as a prereq, and I was sure some other universities required it until I looked on OUAC. I didn't want it pulling down my average in that case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0