yconic - Retaking adv. functions?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Retaking adv. functions?

A photo of trinity27 trinity27
I'm in grade 11 and I took grade 12 Advanced Functions this year. Didn't go as well as I hoped and I have an 80% overall. I usually get high 80s/low 90s in my other subjects. Is it worth taking again at night school/next year? To be honest, I only see my calculus mark in the mid/low-eighties if I work really hard.

I plan on pursuing engineering at Waterloo or McMaster following high school. Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of blurX blurX
I had same dilemma.
I got 81 in advance function in grade 11, then I took it again last semester and got a 96.
For Waterloo, repeated course might bring your overall average down by 1% if you are applying for engineering or other math related programs. I don't know about McMaster.
Do you have calculus this semester? If not, I suggest you to take Advance Function again in Grade 12, then it would be more refreshing to take Calculus.
I thought it was worth it to take it again, that really depends on you though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Yes, it's true that if you retake a math course you're probably likely to do much better especially in the cases of low 80s to the 90s.

But there are a few things to keep in mind. For one, yes Waterloo does not like repeated senior level courses and will take deductions. More importantly, the other thing is that no matter the circumstances - you still got an 80% overall which is pretty low for program like engineering which will have a lot of math. Many people think that they have the abilities just the low marks and that point is further reinforced after they retake it and do well - but the point is, you don't have the luxury in University.

There is a reason why schools deduct marks for repeated courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sapper1815 Sapper1815

@blurX wrote
I had same dilemma.
I got 81 in advance function in grade 11, then I took it again last semester and got a 96.
For Waterloo, repeated course might bring your overall average down by 1% if you are applying for engineering or other math related programs. I don't know about McMaster.
Do you have calculus this semester? If not, I suggest you to take Advance Function again in Grade 12, then it would be more refreshing to take Calculus.
I thought it was worth it to take it again, that really depends on you though.

For Waterloo engineering, a repeated course may bring the average down up to 5%.
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/Faq/Faq_Admissions.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Sapper1815 wrote

For Waterloo engineering, a repeated course may bring the average down up to 5%.
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/Faq/Faq_Admissions.htm

sorry about that, then OP shouldn't even thinking about retaking it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
take data management or earth sciences i believe you can put that towards your average instead of advanced functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
earth and space science*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@trinity27 wrote
I'm in grade 11 and I took grade 12 Advanced Functions this year. Didn't go as well as I hoped and I have an 80% overall. I usually get high 80s/low 90s in my other subjects. Is it worth taking again at night school/next year? To be honest, I only see my calculus mark in the mid/low-eighties if I work really hard.

I plan on pursuing engineering at Waterloo or McMaster following high school. Thanks :)

Email the admissions director because I heard talk that they were switching their requirements at Waterloo and NOT ACCEPTING any repeat or out of school courses anymore. This change might not be occurring this year, but rather next year perhaps. Either way, don't hesitate to email admissions and ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zohra.zaidan zohra.zaidan
Hey trinity! I took adv. functions last year too, and I retook it and found that not only did it help prepare me better for calculus and physics, but it was really easy the second time around. I would suggest looking up the universities you plan on attending, and see if they either take the highest of the two marks, or the average of the two. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
In your case, there is no extenuating circumstance other then the fact that you didn't do so well and so they im guessing some marks will be taken off your overall average.

If you really don't understand a lot of the material that was taught in Adv. Functions then it may be a good idea to retake it because you will need thoses skills for calculus and a low Adv. Function mark may result in a lower calculus mark.

If you understand everything and just had a bad semester then don't retake it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dicmon Dicmon
but even if the university doesnt care about retaking, would a hi80 first try better then a hi80 retake?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Dicmon wrote
but even if the university doesnt care about retaking, would a hi80 first try better then a hi80 retake?

If they don't care, why would it???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannah.a.11 hannah.a.11
Defiantly take it agan, its so much easier the second time. And if you got an 80 in adv fun you will probably get a 90 in calc. It's a joke compared to functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UOITGrad UOITGrad

@trinity27 wrote

if you need to retake advanced functions you're kind of stupid

honestly it's high school math. you dont deserve to go to waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of specter73 specter73
i took gr11 functions and relations in gr10, and i think it was worth it, my teacher eased the few of us into it cuz we skipped out on gr10 math and we all did very well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0