yconic - Retaking Grade 11 Mixed Math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Retaking Grade 11 Mixed Math?

A photo of Kaff Kaff
I'm officially ending my Grade 11 year on Tuesday with my last exam. I'm interested in the UWO-Fanshawe Nursing program and I think if I try really hard next year, I have a great chance on getting in. Here's the dilemma: my math mark is definitely not be as wonderful as I would like it to be. I know that Grade 11 marks don't count unless I want early admission/scholarship, but for the Nursing program they look at your Grade 11 Mixed or University math course, and the requirement is not 65% as stated by the schools website and brochures. Does anyone know if the program would look down on me for retaking this course to get a higher mark in exchange for one of my spares next year? What should I aim for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Super Super

@Kaff wrote
I'm officially ending my Grade 11 year on Tuesday with my last exam. I'm interested in the UWO-Fanshawe Nursing program and I think if I try really hard next year, I have a great chance on getting in. Here's the dilemma: my math mark is definitely not be as wonderful as I would like it to be. I know that Grade 11 marks don't count unless I want early admission/scholarship, but for the Nursing program they look at your Grade 11 Mixed or University math course, and the requirement is not 65% as stated by the schools website and brochures. Does anyone know if the program would look down on me for retaking this course to get a higher mark in exchange for one of my spares next year? What should I aim for?

Call their admissions department. I'm pretty sure they need at least grade 12 University math for a nursing program.

If you're really bad at math, take gr. 12 adv. functions in private summer school. You'll cheat yourself out of high school math, you won't learn and fail in university for taking the quick fix.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
If it is MCF3M that you took and are retaking, I'm not sure if any red flags would go up unless they specifically state "Only first attempts will be considered". If that's the case, it may better your chances if you take instead the Grade 11 University Functions course, MCR3U. For some nursing programs though I've heard that Grade 12 Advanced Functions, MHF4U may be required (not totally sure), in which case the University level in grade 11 is actually a prerequisite. But if you're in doubt I suggest the MCR3U course instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0