yconic - Rez Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rez Questions

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Okay I know this is not in the right section, but I don't wanted to post this in "room and board" since there is hardly anyone hanging out there.

I just have few questions (and I'll have more later) about residence, room, food, etc.

There is a high probability that I'll be living in rez. In fact, I will be living in rez pretty much no matter what, even if I go to the Universities that are close, i.e. Schulich or Rotman.

---

Anyway, there are few questions I had:

1. What is the difference between on-campus and off-campus housing/residence? What are the pros and cons of each?

2. What is the difference between dorm, apartment, and suite. What are the pros and cons of each?

3. How's the meal plan really like? Total veg - green leaves lol? What are the pros and cons of buying and not buying a meal plan? Do most people buy it?

4. What's up with single, double, triple, etc. lol? What do they exactly mean, what are pros and cons of each?

5. Describe OR rank the following Universities from being the best to the worst in terms of its Campus life / Residence:

Brock University
Carleton University
Dalhousie University
McGill University
McMaster University
Queen's University
Ryerson University
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Guelph
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto (St. George Campus)
University of Toronto (Mississauga Campus)
University of Toronto (Scarborough Campus)
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario
Wilfred Laurier University
York University

*Don't have to rank all of these ^, just the ones that you're aware of.

6. What are the pros and cons of living in rez and living at home (commuting) in general?

7. Please share your own experience if you like.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@smarty1 wrote
Okay I know this is not in the right section, but I don't wanted to post this in "room and board" since there is hardly anyone hanging out there.

What? No one "hangs out" in some forums and not others. They see everything and choose what to reply to.

There is a high probability that I'll be living in rez. In fact, I will be living in rez pretty much no matter what, even if I go to the Universities that are close, i.e. Schulich or Rotman.

That's unfortunate. You should try to avoid residence at all cost. It is a horrible experience - one that I would think you, a seemingly respectable person, would hate. It would destroy you. Stay strong and get your own apartment.

1. What is the difference between on-campus and off-campus housing/residence? What are the pros and cons of each?

On campus is on campus; off campus is off campus... Sometimes the buildings are identical; other times "off campus housing" refers to full houses or apartment buildings that are rented out to students.

2. What is the difference between dorm, apartment, and suite. What are the pros and cons of each?

Each university has a sample layout of each style. Carleton, for example, has this pamphlet: http://www2.carleton.ca/academics/ccms/wp-content/ccms-files/Residence.pdf.

3. How's the meal plan really like? Total veg - green leaves lol? What are the pros and cons of buying and not buying a meal plan? Do most people buy it?

Meal plans basically say how many meals you can have and where you eat those meals. They won't nickel and dime you to state how many salads you can eat, how much meat, etc.

4. What's up with single, double, triple, etc. lol? What do they exactly mean, what are pros and cons of each?

See the pamphlet I stated above.

5. Describe OR rank the following Universities from being the best to the worst in terms of its Campus life / Residence:

Carleton University

I can only speak about Carleton. Some of the residences are about 40 years old, and I have heard good and bad things about each style and each building. Mind you, that is nothing to be concerned about, since I too have problems living in an apartment building: maintenance naturally has to be done to buildings over time.

6. What are the pros and cons of living in rez and living at home (commuting) in general?

Residence is more expensive, incredibly inconvenient, and often turns good people into horrible criminals.

Living at home, on the other hand, will keep you grounded and allow you to focus on studies while not being distracted by other irresponsible students.

Also, I should clarify "home" doesn't mean "with parents", just your own apartment by yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ehkay17 ehkay17

@ARMY101 wrote
Residence often turns good people into horrible criminals.

Don't listen to him. Everyone has a choice to make, whether good or bad. It is not the residence's fault.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
You should try to avoid residence at all cost. It is a horrible experience - one that I would think you, a seemingly respectable person, would hate. It would destroy you. Stay strong and get your own apartment.

If someone wants to live in residence they can. I'm planning on living in residence first year for sure. What's so bad about it? I've heard it's the best experience for first year students. You get to meet people from your floor and in your residence building. From what I've heard from people it's fun and a good experience. Why do you have such a dislike towards res? With residence you would be closer to campus anyways than living in an apartment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tashahuggins tashahuggins
I wouldn't be too afraid of rez, I hear that it's a great way to spend your first year of university and you meet some really great people. :)
I'll be staying in rez for at least my first year because living at home isn't an option for me (I'm planning to go to Carleton, which is about 7 hours away from where I currently am) but everyone's different. Some people love rez and would love to stay there for as long as they can, and then there's some who can't stand it and have the urge to kill their roommates. I guess you'll just have to see when you get there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Larissa Larissa
First year rez, is the way to go if you would like to meet new people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo

@smarty1 wrote

On-campus: typically for first-year students (aka living in residence)
Off-campus housing: typically for upper-year students (2nd, 3rd, 4th year students). These houses are not owned by the university, but by individual landlords. You sign 12-mth leases with your landlord & it's basically renting a house. For instance, after first-year, you and 3 of your friends who lived on your floor might decide to get an off-campus house together so then in January of your first-year, you guys start looking around & when you guys find one you like, you sign a lease.
Pros/Cons: Living on campus (aka in rez) in first-year is a lot of fun. Going off-campus is generally what students do with their friends after first-year. If you go OC straight out of high school, I think you miss out on residence life in first year & it's an experience you'll never get ever again...so I'd recommend rez in first year.

@smarty1 wrote

Dorm: it's basically a room (either single or double. Single room means it's just for you. Double means you share with 1 roommate) with a closet, 2 dressers, 2 beds, 2 desks. You share showers/bathrooms with your floor (obviously guys have their own bathroom/showers & girls have their own)
Apartment & suite mean the exact same thing. The apartment/suite has 4 single rooms (each room has a closet, a desk, a bed, a small little dresser sometimes), 1 living room, 1-2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen. Thus, you live with 3 roommates & the 4 of you share the living room, bathroom & kitchen.
Pros/Cons: If you want a lot of privacy, suite style is for you. However, suite-style costs more than dorms. Dorms are more fun, imo, because you bond with your floor a lot quicker than if you lived suite-style & generally, you become super close with your floor a lot faster.

@smarty1 wrote

To live in rez, a meal plan is generally required (I don't know about other schools, but at UWO it is required for every rez except 1). It's super useful because you can use it in every rez, everywhere on campus & at some off-campus restaurants/eateries. Plus depending on which plan you buy, you can save on taxes (buy food without paying taxes). And it's also just convenient because you give them your student ID card & they just swipe it whenever you're purchasing something & it automatically takes $$ off your meal plan and you're not wasting time getting cash outta your wallet.

@smarty1 wrote

Do you mean single, double, triple ROOMS?? If so, basically it's the # of roommates you're going to have. Typically first-year dorms don't have that many single rooms available anyway so it's super likely that you're gonna have a roommate.

@smarty1 wrote
5. Describe OR rank the following Universities from being the best to the worst in terms of its Campus life/Residence:

It's hard to rank/describe them, since I can only talk about UWO's rez life. But typically, rez/campus life is amazing at a school where the majority of students DON'T commute and most first-year students are from out of town & thus live in rez in first year.

@smarty1 wrote

Living in rez: it's fun, get to meet a lot of people, become independent & having the freedom to make your own decisions (e.g. when you wanna sleep, wake up, whether you wanna go out on a Friday night blah blah blah...without parents looking after you), and learn to do things yourself (e.g. I learned how to do laundry while living in rez in first year haha)

Commuting: you better hope you don't have any 8am or 8:30am classes...because waking up crazy early to ride the TTC every morning is gonna suck. It's nice to have home-cooked meals though haha. And most students don't have their own car when they move away to university so if you're living at home, it's nice to have access to a car lol

@smarty1 wrote

I had a blast in rez, made a ton of friends. I lived suite-style in first year with 3 roommates -- none of us knew each other & the first time we met each other was on move-in day. We're super close & we got a house off-campus together after first-year & they're some of my closest friends. Rez life isn't for everyone...some people have a hard time adjusting, but most people love it =)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows

@smarty1 wrote

It's been covered so I'm not going to say the same thing - but you'll end up doing off-campus housing 2nd year and onwards, so I wouldn't do it first year since you'll miss out on the rez experience! Also it's a hassle finding a place, and housemates and stuff. The only FYNIRs (first years not in residence) that I've met are either older students (took a year or two off school, have older friends living in houses), first years who happen to be best friends with older students or residents of the city already and commuting.

Dorm = very social, traditional, sometimes gets loud, sucks if you have an anti-social floor, but you're pretty much guaranteed a couple of friends.
Apartment and suite to me are the same? Very private, good for more introverted/studious people. Harder to make friends as you're kind of enclosed in your little apartment, where for dorms you can leave your door open and talk to anyone who walks by. But apartment and suite are more clean/spacious, and generally its more comfortable.

Personally, I'm happy I'm in dorm since I like the social aspect, and I don't think I would've met so many people if I lived in suite.

Caf food usually sucks but it's easier on you to have food supplied since cooking in rez is super hard (the kitchens suck)
Also, floors often eat dinner together, so you're missing out on bonding time!
Buy a meal plan. Everyone that I've met that didn't have one got one within the first 2 weeks. I don't know anyone who doesn't have one. Also, it's usually forced onto you. At Queen's, there's only one rez that you can live in that lets you not have a meal plan.

Its pretty self-explanatory what a single, double, triple room is... Single = 1 person/room, double = 2 people/room and so on.
Pro for single - privacy. And I can't think of any cons.
Double - pro: sometimes you have a great roommate, and I guess its a good life experience having a roommate. con: roommate from hell is very possible, and basically you end up trying to spend as little amount of time in your room as possible. Personality conflicts can be difficult to deal with too. Also you may feel like you never have any privacy. Schools who randomly match roommates have a high risk of incompatible roommates.
Triple is the same as double, just even less privacy even though the rooms are often huge, and a very high chance that there will be a personality clash.

I can only talk about McGill, Queen's, UTSG and Western.
All 4 of those schools, people love and hate rez/campus life for the same reasons.
McGill - what's cool is for rez, you rank your choices, and if you do it early, you usually get your first choice. You fill out a personality thing and the floor fellows (aka dons) of each building get together, and go through all the students. They then pick out their floors, so each floor kind of has a "personality" and most likely everyone gets along. My friends are LOVING McGill, and it doesn't hurt that Montreal is a party town so there is always something to do.

Queen's - I go here and I love the rez experience. I've become extremely close to a lot of people on my floor. I got a pretty crappy rez, but the flip side is smaller floors, and we're tight knit. My friends in other residences like it, but none are as close to their floor as I am. Kingston is a pretty boring town, but parties are always happening, great school spirit, and everything is exactly what you would expect from a university in terms of experience. Like every school, people may not like it, the student body is very homogeneous, there's not a lot of diversity, lot of preppy kids who all seem to be the same person.

UTSG - I don't know TOO much about it, but people that I know in University College, New College, St Mikes and Trinity seem to love it. UTSG has a really diverse student body, so there is bound to be people that are like you. The UTSG ghetto is pretty cool too, lots of bars, and of course Toronto has a ton of clubs. UofT gets a lot of slack for being a commuter school overcrowded with Asians. Like every place in Toronto you will find Asians, so of course they're at U of T, but they're not the majority. Also I think over 50% of first years live in rez, so it's not just commuters. But yeah, my friends are loving it and they've met really interesting people on their floor.

Western - Meh. Same as Queen's I guess. Just there's more people there.

Rez is easier, more social, and once in a lifetime experience. Additionally, you're right on campus so its convenient. It gives you a lot of freedom, and forces you to be mature to some extent. Also I've found it to be handy - A lot of us are in the same courses so people are always around to help each other and study, if I need help or advice, they're there. And there is always something to do, if you're bored, you can just go hang out with someone.
The con would be if you end up with a poor rez experience, well you've wasted a lot of good money.
Commuting is good just because its cheap? But it's so much harder to make friends unless you're in a small specialized program. My sister commutes and she doesn't care about the social aspect since she has a huge network of friends already at home, so she's not interested in making friends. But personally, I think rez is a great experience that everyone should go through if they can.

Kind of summed up my experience already. Super great friends. Like there's 6 people that I know I will be friends with for a very very long time, I feel as close to them as I am to my closest friends from high school. At first I was really disappointed with my rez, but I've grown to love it and some of its advantages (tight community) sometimes make me thankful for it. Overall though, I don't know anyone who regrets being in rez, although there's many who wish they were in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That was very helpful guys, thanks. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ehkay17 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Residence often turns good people into horrible criminals.

Don't listen to him. Everyone has a choice to make, whether good or bad. It is not the residence's fault.

No, the problem is that residence in itself is a bad place, sheltered from adults and administrators, and often run by students who corrupt young minds with alcohol and drugs. This situation would not be seen in a private apartment building.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Larissa wrote
First year rez, is the way to go if you would like to meet new people.

Not true. You can meet the same people, and you will meet the same people simply by going to class. It's not specific to living in residence. The only difference is that you'll meet those people the week before class starts. That's all. That's certainly not worth the extra stress and criminality you'll commit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@oliviacitygirl wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
You should try to avoid residence at all cost. It is a horrible experience - one that I would think you, a seemingly respectable person, would hate. It would destroy you. Stay strong and get your own apartment.

If someone wants to live in residence they can. I'm planning on living in residence first year for sure. What's so bad about it? I've heard it's the best experience for first year students. You get to meet people from your floor and in your residence building. From what I've heard from people it's fun and a good experience. Why do you have such a dislike towards res? With residence you would be closer to campus anyways than living in an apartment.

Residence causes people to commit crimes that they would not otherwise commit in a professional, private apartment, or being oversee by the police or adults.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unspool Unspool

@ARMY101 wrote

@oliviacitygirl wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Residence causes people to commit crimes that they would not otherwise commit in a professional, private apartment, or being oversee by the police or adults.

You live in an apartment overseen by police?

Also, weirdo, I live in residence and I haven't seen a single crime committed on my floor. Drinking age is 18, we're all legal. Oh my god, your whole belief system! Army, what are you gonna do?! You failed at being normal, then you failed at being "holier than thou". What's next?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Unspool wrote

Yes, everyone in society is overseen by the police.

Also, weirdo, I live in residence and I haven't seen a single crime committed on my floor.

Really? No underage drinking, no vandalism, no noise complaints, no date rapes, nothing being thrown out of windows? Impossible.

Drinking age is 18, we're all legal.

1. Which province are you in?

2. There are no 17 year olds in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unspool Unspool

@ARMY101 wrote

@Unspool wrote

Also, weirdo, I live in residence and I haven't seen a single crime committed on my floor.

Really? No underage drinking, no vandalism, no noise complaints, no date rapes, nothing being thrown out of windows? Impossible.

If everyone in society is overseen by police then so are the people in res and your point is moot.

No, we're all over 18 on my floor and almost everywhere else in my res. It's in Quebec. No one has vandalized anything in the res. We aren't near any residential areas so no one can call noise complaints on us. No. No date rapes. Maybe that's a Carleton thing... Nothing has been thrown out any windows either.

You need to realize that the law is not some holy, absolute guide and that the police are not some prophets concerned only with the goodness of society and your wellbeing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maggie2092 maggie2092
I'm from NS, and more that 90% of first year students stay in Rez for their first year. I don't see why a student would prefer to live at home/apartment as opposed to in res, besides saving money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyharrod emilyharrod
I feel as though on-campus housing is a great way to meet new people and network yourself!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessganci jessganci
Ok so I need some advice...
I'm 21 and graduating this year from college. I have live at home the 4 years I attended. The college was in the same city.
I have applied to go to school again @ george brown, niagara, humber and fanshaw. Even though the toronto schools are 1.5hours by driving, I will have to take the bus..which will take much longer especially in traffic and weather, and what if i have a morning class at 8 or 9?
So residence is what I want but my parents don't want to 'let me go'. They keep saying it will be cheaper, and yes I know it probably will be but is it worth it. The hours I'm going to loose by travelling, all those homework hours.
Anyways I need some advice. I've already told them it would be easier and more convinient. Help?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@jessganci wrote
Ok so I need some advice...
I'm 21 and graduating this year from college. I have live at home the 4 years I attended. The college was in the same city.
I have applied to go to school again @ george brown, niagara, humber and fanshaw. Even though the toronto schools are 1.5hours by driving, I will have to take the bus..which will take much longer especially in traffic and weather, and what if i have a morning class at 8 or 9?
So residence is what I want but my parents don't want to 'let me go'. They keep saying it will be cheaper, and yes I know it probably will be but is it worth it. The hours I'm going to loose by travelling, all those homework hours.
Anyways I need some advice. I've already told them it would be easier and more convinient. Help?

Right now, your time is worth more than your money. And since you attend Georgian, I'm thinking you live in the Georgian Bay area, which I'm quite familiar with. If you have to commute from the Barrie area to Toronto every day during rush hour, unless you take the train, you're looking at maybe 2 hours each way depending on weather. You already did your first degree at home... besides, it's not like you're 17. At least you don't wanna move all the way to Thunder Bay!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@Unspool wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@Unspool wrote

If everyone in society is overseen by police then so are the people in res and your point is moot.

No, we're all over 18 on my floor and almost everywhere else in my res. It's in Quebec. No one has vandalized anything in the res. We aren't near any residential areas so no one can call noise complaints on us. No. No date rapes. Maybe that's a Carleton thing... Nothing has been thrown out any windows either.

You need to realize that the law is not some holy, absolute guide and that the police are not some prophets concerned only with the goodness of society and your wellbeing.

Aha nice argument Unspool :) And Army, chill, you make rez life sound like a prison :o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Heatherrsaurus Heatherrsaurus
I am currently a Laurier student living in res.
Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Living on campus is very close to class, most first years live on campus too. You're living away from home. It's a good experience. It's expensive, I think 4-6 grand for the year, just for the room. Also, the snowplows are awfully loud and like you wake you up at 4am and 7am. Off campus is a bit cheaper but you have to pay monthly rent utilities etc. In Waterloo a lot of the off campus housing is very close to school so the distance isn't so bad. I haven't lived off campus yet but I hope the snowplows are more forgiving.

I know Laurier has dorm and apartment - Ive seen them both. I live in a double dorm, one room with two beds. It has a long desk and a lot of storage space. There is a kitchen at the end of the hall and a bathroom with 5 showers, 5 sinks and 6 stalls in the middle of the floor. A single is one bed, and a semi private bathroom (you share with the person in the room next to you). The kitchen is still at the end of the hall. An apartment has 2 private bathrooms, 4 or 5 bedrooms a kitchen and a living room. I find apartments are better if you wanna have people over - - if things get loud you are easily heard in a dorm.

The meal plan is expensive and sometimes hard to spend. I know some boys that fly through theirs. I am on the smallest one and still have quite a bit of money to spend by the end of the semester. There are veggie options. Once you learn how to use it to get everything you need, you can live off your onecard. Again, once you learn how to fully utilize your meal plan, the food here isn't that bad. If you live in dorm style a meal plan is mandatory. Pro is you dont have to eat cafe food. Con is it's hard to make your own food in a dorm style res.

Basically it describes how many people you will be sharing with. Depends how you feel about people being in your space.

well, I go to Laurier so it's number one! :P

Living on campus is a good experience. You learn to appreciate what you have at home a lot more. Its all in how you experience it, no one can tell you if you will like it or not.

When my dad dropped me off I cried. went home a lot to start (only an hour). Then I stayed here a lot with friends and had fun. Now it's February and the snowplows are always beeping and driving me crazy. I am very homesick, but I am looking forward to living of campus with some of my new friends next year! I find residence life isn't homey, but hopefully off campus living will be!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Very helpful, thanks! :)

@Heatherrsaurus wrote

well, I go to Laurier so it's number one! :P

Haha nice! xp
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mandersforall mandersforall
what is queen's residence life like? should i be worried for my social life if i get placed in an all-girls dorm? the rooms seem like they are a LOT nicer...

and relax, army. the world isn't as bad as it seems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
old thread much?
Was this helpful? Yes 0