yconic - RIDICULOUS SEMESTER
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

RIDICULOUS SEMESTER

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey what do you guys think??

I have applied for Life Sciences and Kinesiology at Mac, Queen's and Western. I have a courseload of calculus&vectors, chemistry, biology and physics. Now I know that it is only optional for life science to have chemistry and you dont even need it for kinesiology!

I REALLY HATE chemistry and am wondering what your thoughts are! Also, should I drop it (and EASE alot of the stress!) or put up with it and take it anyways?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
if it aint a prereq, drop
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RyanJones123 RyanJones123
If you are suffering because of it, I'd drop it, promise myself to get the best grades possible in my other courses, and also commit myself to learning the concepts during the summer break.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would keep it. You have to take a full year of chemistry in most life sci programs (Mac life sci for sure). It'll make it easier, first year chem was a repeat of grade 12 chem for me. Better to learn it in high school than university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Drop it... if it allows you to do good in other courses, if you're getting too much stress, or if you think it isn't worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
if you have to take it in uni anyways, leave it and just don't care too much about it. like don't study for tests or w/e since its not in your top 6 anyways. But go to class and pay attention just to learn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@blackjack wrote
if you have to take it in uni anyways, leave it and just don't care too much about it. like don't study for tests or w/e since its not in your top 6 anyways. But go to class and pay attention just to learn.

XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
You should drop it and borrow the notes of a friend in that class to study independently. Yeah, you could take the class and just do poorly in it, but that is wasting time that you could be studying for other classes i.e. during spare. It's hard to just zone out and not care. You are applying to pretty competitive programs (I think) so I would say to do everything in your power to bring up your marks to get accepted. I mean, I think that getting into the program at all (and possibly maintaining your sanity) in exchange for having a slight advantage in first year chem of said program is a fair tradeoff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
Really? I thought you didn't need physics for kine? Well, at least thats the req for UW and UofT lol. Chem is very important for life science and I'd imagine its important for kine too...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlikaK AlikaK
That's a brutal semester. Good luck with that if you can get through it without sending yourself into a mental breakdown :P just kiddin... :)

I am curious if you've heard back from either Queen's or Mac for kin. I applied to both of them and I haven't heard of anyone and I haven't gotten anything yet. So I'm just a wonderin! :) thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@gleefan wrote
Hey what do you guys think??

I have applied for Life Sciences and Kinesiology at Mac, Queen's and Western. I have a courseload of calculus&vectors, chemistry, biology and physics. Now I know that it is only optional for life science to have chemistry and you dont even need it for kinesiology!

I REALLY HATE chemistry and am wondering what your thoughts are! Also, should I drop it (and EASE alot of the stress!) or put up with it and take it anyways?

Thanks in advance, guys!

That's a terrible semester. If it is stressing you out, drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I know someone who had the exact same semester. She dropped Physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted