yconic - Right laptop for Computer Science ? ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Right laptop for Computer Science ? ?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm going to U of T for Computer science and i'm going to be buying a new laptop. I'm looking for advice and tips on what i should be looking for, preferably from people in a computer science program. I would like it to have the power to last for the 4 years in uni My questions are :

1. Is a macbook pro good enough ? or would i need to use windows ?

2. What screen size should i get ? i don't want a 15" i want either 13 or 14, unless having a 15 inch screen is greatly recommended. what do you guys think ?

3. Really looking for portability and battery life too. What laptops do the job ?

4. How much ram do i need and what processor do i need ? is there even heavy duty work in computer science that requires a powerful processor ?

I won't be using my laptop for gaming, not interested in that. maybe that helps.

I'm leaning towards a macbook pro because now they are pretty powerful, and i like how they integrate everything into their os and make it work easily and seamlessly. I have windows 7 now and it works awesome but i just need a change unless windows os is mandatory for computer science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Linux...seriously. Get to know it now. You should be at least familiar with it if you're going into any computer science or engineering program. A lot of servers and databases and stuff like that run off of it. So that makes the windows vs mac thing moot, and you just need to decide on hardware.
Was this helpful? Yes 0