yconic - Rising Cut-Offs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rising Cut-Offs

A photo of Meine Meine
Hi everyone, so as you probably know by now this is going to be about the general cut-offs of universities. I've been searching through threads about cut-offs from various universities and the responses I've been reading are really terrifying!

For starters I read from one post that the cut-off from the beginning of the year would have risen by about two percent by May thus effectively lowering a good number of people's chances of acceptance. Is this true?

If that's the case, how much higher should an applicant's average be to be considered and/or guaranteed a spot into the program? If the applicant's average is equal to or one percent higher than the cut-off at the beginning of the year does this make the applicant's chance of acceptance highly improbable?

Much thanks to all who respond! =)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I'm pretty sure it's actually the exact opposite, they accept all the people with the higher averages first and then once there's no more of those left, they start accepting people that are right on the cut off, and finally if there is still space left, they might even accept people below the cut off.

It wouldn't make sense for them to accept people with lower averages before people with higher averages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
This is the eighth incoming class I've been with on this forum, and they all seem to think that cut-offs are going to be significantly higher this time around. I've never seen it actually happen though. The cut-offs seem to very stable from year to year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

@KingKhan wrote
I'm pretty sure it's actually the exact opposite, they accept all the people with the higher averages first and then once there's no more of those left, they start accepting people that are right on the cut off, and finally if there is still space left, they might even accept people below the cut off.

It wouldn't make sense for them to accept people with lower averages before people with higher averages.

I agree, otherwise there won't be any spots left for the people with high averages who apply later, if they start low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0