yconic - Rooming in Alberta
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rooming in Alberta

A photo of Katraa Katraa
Hi,
If I get accepted into University of Alberta or Calgary, I plan to room there with my bestfriend. Except it'll just be us 2 girls by ourselves. We've been told that Alberta has a high crime/murder/death rate and our parents aren't too keen about us going there. What can we do to convince them? Or should we also be concerned too?

*I'm not saying Alberta is bad or anything, one of my closest friends live there and I've been there for vacation, it's a beautiful province**
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I was born and raised in Edmonton, lived there for 21 years. Yes it has a higher murder rate than other cities, but I can say I have personally NEVER seen a crime committed there in my entire life. Not that this makes it sound any better but it's criminals killing criminals, and in only certain parts of town. Basically don't live on the North side, which you won't want to anyways. The area around the university is really nice and really safe. There are some incidents that happen on Whyte Ave (the bar street), but that's par for the course with drunk young people in one area.

I don't know much about Calgary, but I think the murder rate is lower. It will be the same sort of thing, certain areas of any city have problems.

Besides, are you guys planning on living in res? Then you really won't have any issues at all convincing your parents it's safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katraa Katraa

@ktel wrote
I was born and raised in Edmonton, lived there for 21 years. Yes it has a higher murder rate than other cities, but I can say I have personally NEVER seen a crime committed there in my entire life. Not that this makes it sound any better but it's criminals killing criminals, and in only certain parts of town. Basically don't live on the North side, which you won't want to anyways. The area around the university is really nice and really safe. There are some incidents that happen on Whyte Ave (the bar street), but that's par for the course with drunk young people in one area.

I don't know much about Calgary, but I think the murder rate is lower. It will be the same sort of thing, certain areas of any city have problems.

Besides, are you guys planning on living in res? Then you really won't have any issues at all convincing your parents it's safe.

Oh, that's good to know. Thank you! No, we are planning to rent an apartment close to the uni's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted