yconic - Roommate Advice
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Roommate Advice

A photo of mylovebud mylovebud
So I plan on trying out residence for my first year at least. Anything I should know before I make someone upset :P I'm pretty laid back, but I love to sing to my music. ahahha hopefully that won't bother them
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of tylerkading tylerkading
First - when you meet them, its important to talk about your expectations. like if you want to have someone stay over... talk to your roommate to make sure they're cool with that, especially if the person staying over is the opposite gender. Be respectful of their space but don't be afraid to tell them they're doing something that bugs you. you don't have to be a jerk about it, but if you don't tell them it bugs you, they have no idea, and it will keep happening.
second - if you are having problems remember that you have a don or an RA for a reason. They're there to help you and worst come to worse, they might be able to get your roommate switched.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaleidos kaleidos
Most schools will have you fill out a profile regarding your interests and habits, so hopefully you'll be paired with someone who can relate to your love of music. Like Tyler said, it's also suuuper important to just discuss all your feelings with your roomie right off the bat - make sure you lay ground rules for noise, guests, personal space, sharing, and conflict management. You may have disagreements, but you shouldn't rely too heavily on the prospect of switching roommates because most schools just don't have the time or resources to be making those changes in residence constantly. Expect to make some concessions for your roommate, but also go in proud to be yourself because the sooner you both get to know who your roommate is deep down, the sooner you can learn to live with one another comfortably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joanne22 Joanne22
Extremely important to sit down and lay out expectations when you first meet!
Also, with my roomates (everyone's different so might not work for you) I found that it helped to make up a schedule for cleaning. A lot of stress from living with others came from people not pulling their weight when it came to cleaning, taking out garbage etc.
The universities/colleges usually do a good job of placing compatible people together, however it doesn't always work out that way. If you have any reservations aout the person you are rooming with, or aren't compatible with them, you can set up meetings with a mediator, or request to be switched!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm really nervous about having a roommate.. Has anyone had to handle a roommate bringing a boyfriend/girlfriend for the night?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of limepunch limepunch
Be respectful of your roommate's habits. Buy him/her a coffee and then sit down to hash out the details of things like sleep/wake times, times you can have friends over, cleanliness level expected and if you'll take turns doing things like taking out the recycling, noise issues. And try your best to be understanding - the better your friendship is, the easier it'll be to ask for him/her to find somewhere else to sleep for the night ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of courtlimb courtlimb
I just got a room mate for the first time in my life this month. I was really worried about it but its going much better than i thought it would. The most important thing is just to be considerate and respectful. Bonding activities are also really good - its always easier when you're on the same wave length and you can understand the person and their needs better and vice versa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Realize that you might not be best friends with your roommate. Don't expect that you will like all of each others' friends either. Make sure you both get some alone time and aren't constantly together. Try to solve potential problems before they happen, for example, what time you want to go to sleep, how much partying you will allow in your room, who is going to buy cleaning supplies or other items and how these things will be shared. Speak up when something is bothering you but also when you appreciate something they have done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tylerkading wrote
First - when you meet them, its important to talk about your expectations. like if you want to have someone stay over... talk to your roommate to make sure they're cool with that, especially if the person staying over is the opposite gender. Be respectful of their space but don't be afraid to tell them they're doing something that bugs you. you don't have to be a jerk about it, but if you don't tell them it bugs you, they have no idea, and it will keep happening.
second - if you are having problems remember that you have a don or an RA for a reason. They're there to help you and worst come to worse, they might be able to get your roommate switched.

Uh, you realize having ANYONE over is usually against the rules, ESPECIALLY the opposite gender, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cerebrop Cerebrop
As for general roommate advice, I highly suggest a "if you made the mess, you clean it up" rule. Making dishes/cleaning schedules at the beginning of the year always seems like a good idea, but as soon as school gets busy they usually go abandoned and you end up having a filthy room. Being responsible for your own mess saves you a lot of arguments.

@ARMY101 wrote

Uh, you realize having ANYONE over is usually against the rules, ESPECIALLY the opposite gender, right?

Not necessarily. Difference residence buildings have varying rules on the issue. The residences at my university allowed overnight visitors as long as they signed in with their host.

@madisonhayes536 wrote
I'm really nervous about having a roommate.. Has anyone had to handle a roommate bringing a boyfriend/girlfriend for the night?

Yes, and it really depends on the individual comfort levels of the roommates. If you sleep in separate rooms but share a common kitchen area, it's usually not an issue. If you share the same room, it's a much different story. No matter what, it's best to have the ground rule that you'll inform each other in advance if you'll be having any guest over, romantic or otherwise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heatherMH heatherMH
Just make sure to introduce yourself as well as to clear the air about what you both want and expect to live with each other. Make sure.. as many other people have said, to talk about your expectations as well as when it comes to other people coming over.. To avoid awkwardness, talk about it ahead of time!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of herlein123 herlein123
My school provided us with a "roommate agreement" that we had the option of filling out. It had things like, who took out the garbage, cleaned the floor and stuff like that. After the first week my roommate and I decided that we got on really well, and that we both did a really good job of cleaning, so this wasn't necessary. I regretted this a few weeks later when school got more intense, and my roommate stopped cleaning up after herself. Set the standard early, because it is hard to go back on what was previously said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0