yconic - Roommates from Hell
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Roommates from Hell

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
Got any stories to share about unbearable roommates?

When my cousin went for her first year, she didn't know anyone going, so she was placed with another girl. She said the girl seemed nice enough but turns out she was a germophobe and every time she came in from doing something she had to shower. Even if she just went down the hallway to knock on someone else's door, she had to shower as soon as she got back. My cousin planned her showers around this girl and was pretty incovenienced by her. One day the girl had a class cancelled so she returned to the room early - and my cousin was in the shower (she expected her to be in class) and started having like a mental breakdown. My cousin had to finish rinsing her hair in the sink. The girl asked if she wanted to room together next year because she had "been so accomodating". My cousin respectfully declined, lol.

One of my friends went last year for her first year and she told me her roomie would go into her drawers when she wasn't looking and take her clothes. Like, they would be in a bar and her roommate would be just wearing her shirt. I think she ended up complaining to the RA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Those were some pretty entertaining stories.
I actually can't wait to have a rommate next year..
but after seeing the trailer for The Roommate.. Oh gosh.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I've had a few roommates on excursions abroad for weeks at time (most recently this summer in Spain) and I've been fortunate enough to have the most amazing girls as my roomies.

Hopefully I get that lucky in the fall.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
To quote myself from another thread:

I'm not in uni, but I did have a terrible roommate when I studied abroad in Vienna for a summer. He would stumble in drunk at 3 am on a Tuesday with some girl, and then proceed to turn on the lights and vomit on the floor (which he didn't clean up till noon the next day, forcing me to dodge it to get to the shower).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
I have a roommate who made eggs in an electric frying pan 2 days ago. and "left it to cool". They're still there, and she's gone home since.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My friend told me a story about someone's roommate in her relative's residence hall who never showered or washed their clothes. That person's roommate quickly got out of that dorm room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@prmly wrote
I've had a few roommates on excursions abroad for weeks at time (most recently this summer in Spain) and I've been fortunate enough to have the most amazing girls as my roomies.

Wow I wish I would have amazing girls as (temporary)roomies, and I wish too that I will get lucky (with them) in the fall.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dyd dyd

@Alizarin wrote

@prmly wrote

Wow I wish I would have amazing girls as (temporary)roomies, and I wish too that I will get lucky (with them) in the fall.

That's pretty lucky
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I can come up with stories of bad roommates too, but that's because I was in a residence that was all doubles and had more than 200 people living in it - it's very likely that at least one roommate pair would have issues. I'm sure everyone has heard about, maybe even experienced, the whole roommate thing going sour, but you typically don't hear about it going well or half-decently. So I think a lot of you would be biased into thinking that the odds of you getting a bad roommate are actually quite high.

Well, in my rez, it was shocking how many roommates got along really well (i.e. were good friends). One way I learned who was roommates with who was just by seeing who a person would most commonly be with in the cafeteria or in the lounge. If two people were commonly together, then there was a very good chance they were roommates. There were certainly more roommate pairs who were friends than there were who just got along, and there were only two pairs I could think of who did not like one another, and one of those pairs got split up early in the year. If I had to break it down, I'd say 60% of pairs were friends, 38% just got along, and 2% had issues. Also, guys seem more likely than girls to be friends with their roommates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0