yconic - Roommates or single?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Roommates or single?

A photo of Smalkin Smalkin
What are the pros and cons to having a roommate and to living in a dorm alone?
Also, is living in a dorm worth all the extra money?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Lol there has been SO many discussions about this.

It really depends on the person.
If you're very outgoing and love to meet new people, then you'd probably like a roommate.
If you're more of the quiet and shy type and likes to spend all your time holed up in your room studying, a roommate might suit you, but you would probably like it better in a single room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mer1616 mer1616
I'm having the same problem.. I think it would be fun to have a roommate, but what happens if I'm stuck with someone who I don't like...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@mer1616 wrote
I'm having the same problem.. I think it would be fun to have a roommate, but what happens if I'm stuck with someone who I don't like...

Still get to save some $$...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@mer1616 wrote

Well if you really have problems with your roommate, you can always go to your floor coordinator and they can help you work something out..
But if it's not something big, you guys can always talk it out. Should lay out some expectations when you meet 'em before anything else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Samun Samun
The pros and cons of having a roommate depends on who you get.
If you live really far from school, then its definitely worth the money to live in a dorm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rkmacdon rkmacdon
I currently am living in residence at the University of Alberta and honestly if you can afford a single room GET IT. I live in an apartment style dorm and have 3 other roommates and so far it has been nothing but a giant annoyance. Plus i'm sure you'd be getting a double room and from what i've heard from friends that is even worse. I guess as others have said it depends on your personality and your tastes but if I had the option of living in a single room I would certainly take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TaylorRutherford TaylorRutherford
I live in an apartment-style room and love it. My roommates are awesome. I like having roommates because they have become my family away from home. I have a single room within the apartment which is great for when I just want to be by myself, or get homework done. The only con is that one of my roommates is kinda messy, and our garbage kinda smells. I am so glad I have roommates. I find it an easy way to make friends. It all depends on who you are paired with though. I lucked out with the ones I have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kyhaara Kyhaara
I have no experience with roommates, but I know that I am opting for a single room because I'm a neat-freak who goes to bed at erratic times. I also get up really early. Having a party-animal roommates, someone who wants to go to bed earlier/later than me and get up later wouldn't suit me... I'm also paranoid about having my stuff moved. Not sure if this helps you or not, but if you have any of those worries, I'd suggest maybe a single room would be best. But who knows? A roommates could be a new friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PrincessNFL PrincessNFL
I am currently living on res at SAIT Polytechnic and let me tell you if you can afford single DO IT NOW!

Our res apartments include 4 bedrooms and must only be one gender. I have found it is extremely hard for 4 girls to agree on a TV show, share two bathrooms, one kitchen, and only one couch...

Also roommates you may not know well may have guests or parties too often- this may affect your studies

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pcdavidvs pcdavidvs
from what I've heard from people, having a roommate can be really good, just so long as you get along. Most places let you request someone to be your roommate if a friend is going to the same place as you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ClarksonMark ClarksonMark
Roomates give the ability to interact with someone new, and someone you can become real fond of over time, the downfall is that sometimes your habits dont work with eachother if you know what I mean

Singles is good if you like the privacy and the thought of your own personal space, however you do not get the chance to meet new people as much as you would with a roommate
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JaadeC JaadeC
Just take a roomate dor your first year and then if you don't like it youll take a single room the year after. at least youll know what it is like and wont regret anything... and first year is a year of experiences so its cool you can still study at the library and hold it for a year !!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0