yconic - rotman commerce early acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

rotman commerce early acceptance

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321
Hi guys! I just got back my advanced functions exam back,
and i'm not gonna lie.. i'm pretty stressed out.
i think i'll end up with 88, most likely. maybe with dropped quizes 90?

so what i'm asking .. do i have any chance of getting early acceptance from rotman?

my top six is around 91-92 at the moment... been slacking off second term. :(
i'm hoping that i'll get 95+ in calculus, which will boost it up to 93ish.

i handed in my personal statement yesterday, and i think it was quite good.

so,,,,

do you think i'll get an offer by late feb/march?

i really want to go to rotman :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith

@mundane12321 wrote

so what i'm asking .. do i have any chance of getting early acceptance from rotman?

so,,,,

I think you'll get in Rotman for sure. Don't worry about early acceptance, I'm sure you'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@JoeSmith wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

so,,,,

I think you'll get in Rotman for sure. Don't worry about early acceptance, I'm sure you'll get in.

I just discovered the quote button
nice feature.
uhm as i said, i know i'll probably get in rotman
i'm just wondering about the criterias for early acceptance
does anyone know?
do they only care about averages? so if you have like 95+ they accept you first?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
I hope your personal statement wasn't formatted anything like your original question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
I hope your personal statement wasn't formatted anything like your original question.

my personal statement was quite original and to the point, thank you very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
Your posts are formatted in quite an 'original way'. However this gives the impression you have no idea how to write.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Why Rotman? Do a bit more research about it, you might change your mind.

To answer your question, it depends on your Grade 11 marks are as well. My friend got her early acceptance late February... and both her Grade 11 and 12 marks were in the 90s (low 90's) and she said her profile was "alright". But that makes sense, it's UofT they don't care about your extracurriculars... at the end of the day it's all about marks for them.

Considering you had good Grade 11 marks as well, your odds are looking pretty good. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
Your posts are formatted in quite an 'original way'. However this gives the impression you have no idea how to write.

you don't have to be such a drama-seeking lifeless person critisizing everything on studentaward forum. after all, it was just a question.
if you don't want to give advice, get out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

To answer your question, it depends on your Grade 11 marks are as well. My friend got her early acceptance late February... and both her Grade 11 and 12 marks were in the 90s (low 90's) and she said her profile was "alright". But that makes sense, it's UofT they don't care about your extracurriculars... at the end of the day it's all about marks for them.

Considering you had good Grade 11 marks as well, your odds are looking pretty good. Good luck.

why not rotman?
i think in the end, it'll be queens vs. rotman for me

hmmmmm my grade 11 marks were not that high
because i took sciences :(
i thought early acceptance was based on first interim marks of gr 12s..
argh should've worked harder in gr 11.

my personal statement was strong, that's what everyone said.
but i guess PS doesn't weigh as much as they do at ivey/queens.. oh well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mundane12321 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

why not rotman?

I copied & pasted this from the Rotman website:

Most offers of admission are made in late-May. By this time, Rotman Commerce and the University of Toronto will have received comprehensive information regarding your academic record, extra-curricular involvement and personal statement. This timeline ensures that we have sufficient information on which to base our admissions decision and that applicants are evaluated concurrently.

Note that a small number of early offers are extended in February of each year to applicants far exceeding the minimum admission requirements. To be considered for an early offer, you must submit your Rotman Commerce supplemental application (i.e. personal statement) by January 25, 2011.

and their "minimum admission requirement" is mid-high 80s.
If anything you could e-mail the admission office, they could be helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@s2saki wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

why not rotman?

I copied & pasted this from the Rotman website:

Most offers of admission are made in late-May. By this time, Rotman Commerce and the University of Toronto will have received comprehensive information regarding your academic record, extra-curricular involvement and personal statement. This timeline ensures that we have sufficient information on which to base our admissions decision and that applicants are evaluated concurrently.

Note that a small number of early offers are extended in February of each year to applicants far exceeding the minimum admission requirements. To be considered for an early offer, you must submit your Rotman Commerce supplemental application (i.e. personal statement) by January 25, 2011.

and their "minimum admission requirement" is mid-high 80s.
If anything you could e-mail the admission office, they could be helpful.

well yeah.. of course i read that
but exactly how many ppl get in early acceptance
i know rotman first year is 600...
so like 200? 300?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Why Rotmans is a good question - it's bottom tier of the top tier BSchools i.e. Schulich, Queens, Ivey, Mcgill
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Why Rotmans is a good question - it's bottom tier of the top tier BSchools i.e. Schulich, Queens, Ivey, Mcgill

university of toronto is most recognized internatinally.
i want to work in foreign countries.. especially asia
or middle east. : /
i didn't apply to mcgill or schulich because i didn't like the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of summerdays summerdays
I hear that a very small number of students actually get accepted in the first round and the majority come through in the second round. Anyone know how much actual attention is given to the personal statement? Does it more matter on how you write or what you include?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@summerdays wrote
I hear that a very small number of students actually get accepted in the first round and the majority come through in the second round. Anyone know how much actual attention is given to the personal statement? Does it more matter on how you write or what you include?

very small as in .. like 100? 50?
so frustrated. :(
would 92 average be enough to get early?
i hear u of t doesn't rlly care about personal statement
(well obvi not as much as queen's/ivey)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of summerdays summerdays

@mundane12321 wrote

@summerdays wrote

Not sure of the actual number or what average you would need to get in early. I'm wondering the same things. I only know based on the info posted on the Rotman Commerce Facebook page and website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@summerdays wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@summerdays wrote

Not sure of the actual number or what average you would need to get in early. I'm wondering the same things. I only know based on the info posted on the Rotman Commerce Facebook page and website.

mm... hopefully they'll auto-accept ppl with 90%+ average of those who submitted their personal statement on time... haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jordan23 Jordan23

@mundane12321 wrote

I do not think 92% is high enough to recieve early acceptance from UofT Rotman. After all, the average entering grade is around a 90% anyways. I believe they take in 30-60 people in late Frbruary (don't quote me on that).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jordan23 wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

I do not think 92% is high enough to recieve early acceptance from UofT Rotman. After all, the average entering grade is around a 90% anyways. I believe they take in 30-60 people in late Frbruary (don't quote me on that).

damn. entering average = 88% last yr, no?
i guess i'll have to wait til may then..
what's the point of accepting 30-60 ppl with 93%+
when they're all gonna reject rotman offer over ivey, queens, etc..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
when do we have to submit our personal statement?

..and when are next rounds of acceptances
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
dont worry UoT really likes to take their ass time, ther the slowest.

The only thing GOOD about going to UoT as opposed to Ivey and Queens is that they have a better reputation INTERNATIONALLY. In asia, i found that more ppl know about UBC and UoT and many ppl dont even know about Queens and Western Ontario U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peasho0ter peasho0ter
a few things i want to clear up.

i was accepted to schulich, ivey and rotmans (with other pretty good programs) last year, but i chose rotmans over ivey and schulich. so yes there are people who pick rotmans over ivey.

sure queens, schulich, and ivey have higher entrance averages, but the weeding out happens between first year and second year at rotmans. about half of us in first year are going to fail to meet a requirement for second year.

taking the better half the 600 students (who are suited for university instead of high school) pretty much ensures that the students at rotmans are as good as those at the other schools.

besides rebranding the program to "rotman commerce" does help in my opinion, instead of the old U of T commerce. we now have more profs from the MBA program teaching us, and i think that rotman commerce is getting closer to the top of top tier business programs.

the way you guys calculate your top 6 is probably differernt from the way U of T does it. last year, i was accepted some time in march, and they based it on my grade 11 marks and first semester grade 12 marks. i took 4 courses in first semseter, but they only used 2 of 4 as part of my top 6. the other 4 of 6 were from my grade 11 year.

second round is probably going to be the easiest to get in, because they will only have very limited space for the last round in may. two of my friends failed to get in the last round with 90+.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@peasho0ter wrote
a few things i want to clear up.

i was accepted to schulich, ivey and rotmans (with other pretty good programs) last year, but i chose rotmans over ivey and schulich. so yes there are people who pick rotmans over ivey.

sure queens, schulich, and ivey have higher entrance averages, but the weeding out happens between first year and second year at rotmans. about half of us in first year are going to fail to meet a requirement for second year.

taking the better half the 600 students (who are suited for university instead of high school) pretty much ensures that the students at rotmans are as good as those at the other schools.

besides rebranding the program to "rotman commerce" does help in my opinion, instead of the old U of T commerce. we now have more profs from the MBA program teaching us, and i think that rotman commerce is getting closer to the top of top tier business programs.

the way you guys calculate your top 6 is probably differernt from the way U of T does it. last year, i was accepted some time in march, and they based it on my grade 11 marks and first semester grade 12 marks. i took 4 courses in first semseter, but they only used 2 of 4 as part of my top 6. the other 4 of 6 were from my grade 11 year.

second round is probably going to be the easiest to get in, because they will only have very limited space for the last round in may. two of my friends failed to get in the last round with 90+.

Hi : ) would you mind telling me how is Rotman's career centre?? i heard rotman's career centre is pretty bad except for accountants?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peasho0ter peasho0ter

@GoBarca wrote

Hi : ) would you mind telling me how is Rotman's career centre?? i heard rotman's career centre is pretty bad except for accountants?

It was actually better than I expected. I get AT LEAST one email (the busier weeks in january, I got like 4) per week about job postings.

Employer Job Title Job Level Deadline
Bank of Canada Take a Central Role at the Bank of Canada! 1st - 3rd Year:
Summer 03/06/2011
BMO Bank of Montreal Summer Student, Dealership Finance 3rd Year:
Summer 03/07/2011
Rotman Commerce Consulting Association Volunteer Consultant with The Initiative Consulting Group (ICG) 2nd - 4th Year:
Volunteer 03/08/2011
Manulife Financial Inside Sales Program 4th Year:
Full-Time 03/14/2011
Invest Toronto 8-month Internships 3rd & 4th Year:
Internship 03/18/2011
Toronto Argonauts Football Club 2011 Internship Program All Years:
Summer 03/18/2011
Grant Thornton Analyst, Transfer Pricing 4th Year:
Full-Time 03/31/2011

thats an example of one typical email, the spacing is a little messed up when i copy and pasted.

those are all the NEW positions posted in the last few days, so during the span of the year, there will be probably hundreds of these "legit" jobs.

Some of these you apply through the career centre, and some, they'll link you to the companys website or workopolis.

I haven't actually been to the career centre (the actual office) yet, and I think companies actually hold more recruiting sessions there sometimes.

Was this helpful? Yes 0