yconic - Rotman Commerce English Cutoff?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rotman Commerce English Cutoff?

A photo of SuperSolo SuperSolo
Is it true that you must have higher than a 85 in English? I took it in summer school this year and I only got a 84. I'm kind of worried that 85 is a hard cutoff, because I know that my top6 will definitely be around 87-88.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
According to UofT's site, you should be OK. It says:

* Completion of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, with six Grade 12 U/M subjects including English 4U and Calculus & Vectors 4U. (NOTE: It is expected that all students will have completed Advanced Functions as a co-requisite or prerequisite for Calculus & Vectors. However, in calculating your “best six” average, the Faculty of Arts & Science will use the top four highest marks after ENG4U and MCV4U.)

* An average in the mid- to high-80s on your “best six” Grade 12 courses (including ENG4U and MCV4U).

According to this, as well as eINFO, particular attention is paid to English and Calculus. Nowhere does it say an 85 is required.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright thanks. Browsing the forums, I keep on hearing Rotman needs at least a 85%+ in English to be considered. I also hear from others i need a mid 80's in English (I suppose 84 can count as mid 80's?). Has anyone here go into UTSG with less than a 85% in English?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You could always call them too, which I would probably do if I were you as they'd know best. But worst case scenario, just apply and see what happens because worst case is you get rejected (not the end of the world). Best case you get in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vince1266 vince1266

@SuperSolo wrote
Alright thanks. Browsing the forums, I keep on hearing Rotman needs at least a 85%+ in English to be considered. I also hear from others i need a mid 80's in English (I suppose 84 can count as mid 80's?). Has anyone here go into UTSG with less than a 85% in English?

Hey SuperSolo,

This year, RC required an 85% in both English and Calculus to be considered and that's the only reason I got rejected from the program. I have friends with lower top 6 averages than me who got in, but with higher English marks. Unfortunately, Rotman only takes your first attempt into consideration, but who knows? Next year could see different expectations. If you're really heart-set on Rotman and you still get rejected, you can always appeal at the end of next year for a spot in the program. Mind you, by the end of next year, you might want to go to another university to study, like in my situation
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancho dancho

@SuperSolo wrote
Is it true that you must have higher than a 85 in English? I took it in summer school this year and I only got a 84. I'm kind of worried that 85 is a hard cutoff, because I know that my top6 will definitely be around 87-88.

Thanks

May I ask you which province you're currently right now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bump!

I still need to know the answer to this question. I got a 84 in the regular semester, and my top 6 are going to be 87+.

I still do not have concrete info that I would get rejected if I do not have a 85%+ or higher in English?

Can anyone confirm this?

I have emailed and called (the person couldn't disclose and told me just to apply and seE)

But I would like some glimmer of hope that I won't get automatically put in the trash pile :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hi

From last year when I applied, you needed at least an 80 in english.

Same for U of T scarborough's co-op commerce management thingy(which is also a good program).

Also they are not bullsh!tting you when they say they pay particular attention to english and calculus.

So if you had 100% in food and nutrition but lower in english and calc and your average was boosted by f & n, it will reflect poorly upon you.

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0