yconic - Rotman Commerce Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rotman Commerce Help

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am currently debating going to Rotman commerce and I am wondering about the progression requirements. How hard is it to progress into 2nd year? I have heard that even if you meet the progression requirements you are still competing for 2nd year spots. I have also heard that only about 1/3 of first years end up progressing into second year. Does anyone have any insight or knowledge about this? Thanks a lot in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo
This is all hearsay, but from what i've heard :

Rotman's high dropout rate is usually due to international students having a lack of english and essay writing skills. Also, they have a bell-curve policy where the profs will raise the difficulty of the tests if the class average is fairly high in order to keep the average at around 67-72% range. However I have heard that rotman's dropout rate in first year is starting to decrease.

To get into second year as a rotman freshman, you must maintain:

50% in MAT133 (high school calc, make sure you choose Tate as your prof, she's easy!)
67% in ECO101 (economics class, lots of excel work, 2 profs to choose from: ingart or pesando. Ppl say ingart is easier, but pesando is very concise and his teaching style is excellent)
67% in RSM101 (management class, intro to accounting which is the hard part from what ive heard. Only one prof teaches this course and he is oesch)

If you meet these minimums, you are gauranteed a spot for second year. Hope this helps!

EDIT: with these 3 mandatory courses, you must have at least one more full-course credit, although most ppl achieve 5 credits in first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks a lot for your response! So as long as the progression requirements are met there is no competition to get into second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo

@ktownkid wrote
Thanks a lot for your response! So as long as the progression requirements are met there is no competition to get into second year?

Yes im almost certain of it, hence the reason for using bell curves in order to weed people out after first year. Just try to take other courses that are extremely easy for GPA boosting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0