yconic - Rotman Commerce?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rotman Commerce?

A photo of ktggirl ktggirl
Is Rotman Commerce a good option for someone who wants to be a CA? I know they have an accredited program but I would like to get the opinion of others on it. If there is someone here who is currently in the program, I'd love to hear what you have to say for it. Also, if you're in Rotman, what credits would you be taking in first year? Any info or advice on Rotman CA program is appreciated! Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ktggirl wrote
Is Rotman Commerce a good option for someone who wants to be a CA? I know they have an accredited program but I would like to get the opinion of others on it. If there is someone here who is currently in the program, I'd love to hear what you have to say for it. Also, if you're in Rotman, what credits would you be taking in first year? Any info or advice on Rotman CA program is appreciated! Thanks.

I want to pursue the CA designation and Rotman was one of my choices for the undergraduate program. It was my back-up, really. You asked if it is a good option and I have to say, yes it is. Is it the best option? The statistic shows that it is not. Schulich, Queens, Waterloo and Laurier are known to have a much better program for future CAs and have placed a lot more students into the BIG 4 than Rotman did.

Why are you inquiring about Rotman? What makes the program appealing to you? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@ktggirl wrote

I want to pursue the CA designation and Rotman was one of my choices for the undergraduate program. It was my back-up, really. You asked if it is a good option and I have to say, yes it is. Is it the best option? The statistic shows that it is not. Schulich, Queens, Waterloo and Laurier are known to have a much better program for future CAs and have placed a lot more students into the BIG 4 than Rotman did.

Why are you inquiring about Rotman? What makes the program appealing to you? :)

I live in the Toronto area and I'm thinking about staying in the city for university. Rotman seems convinient I guess. But you mentioned Schulich so I may consider it as well. How would you say its CA program compares to Rotman? I'm a little hesitant about it though because of the bad rep I hear about York in general. Are you in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ktggirl wrote
I live in the Toronto area and I'm thinking about staying in the city for university. Rotman seems convinient I guess. But you mentioned Schulich so I may consider it as well. How would you say its CA program compares to Rotman? I'm a little hesitant about it though because of the bad rep I hear about York in general. Are you in first year?

I understand what you mean about York. Well, read about the reputation Schulich has. ;) It's pretty much one of the only things that makes York look good.

If you're interested in becoming a CA, Schulich is one of the best places in Canada to start. 38% of students of the 2010 BBA/iBBA class got into the accounting field and the last time this data was released, Schulich had the highest UFE (final CA exam) passing rate. Big 4 love Schulich students and do a lot of recruitment on campus. Last year, Schulich students were placed second in CA$H competition and got the 1st place in Save the World Challenge, both hosted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario. Overall, the Schulich undergraduate program is considered much stronger than the one Rotman offers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I see. May I ask what your avg was in grade 12? Also, what courses did you take? It's only recently that I've taken an interesting in accounting so I haven't taken any business courses in high school except accounting last year in grade 11. I will be taking it again in grade 12 but I haven't taken any other business courses my school offers such as economics, financial securities, international business, etc. Will this put me at a disadvantage in university? If I had taken those courses would it make it easier for me to understand the material covered in university? Should I try and switch into some of those courses come September? Sorry, that's a lot of questions lol. Again, any info would be appreciated. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ktggirl wrote
I see. May I ask what your avg was in grade 12? Also, what courses did you take? It's only recently that I've taken an interesting in accounting so I haven't taken any business courses in high school except accounting last year in grade 11. I will be taking it again in grade 12 but I haven't taken any other business courses my school offers such as economics, financial securities, international business, etc. Will this put me at a disadvantage in university? If I had taken those courses would it make it easier for me to understand the material covered in university? Should I try and switch into some of those courses come September? Sorry, that's a lot of questions lol. Again, any info would be appreciated. :)

Don't worry about the lack of business courses. High school business courses do very little to prepare students for university. Econ and acc are the only 2 courses that can relate to university business programs. However, acc courses in high school and in university are very different. So, if you decided you want to be a CA based on grade 11 accounting, you might end up reconsidering because CA's work is too remote from basic bookkeeping taught in high school. By the way, I know a bunch of CAs who never took a business course until their 3rd year in university, so you're not at the end of the world. :)

My final average for top 6 courses in grade 12 was 92.3%. I took English, Function, Calc, Data, International Business, Accounting and Writer's Craft. Aside from the good average, make sure to pick up leadership experience through community involvement and ECs. It really helps with your sup. application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@ktggirl wrote

Don't worry about the lack of business courses. High school business courses do very little to prepare students for university. Econ and acc are the only 2 courses that can relate to university business programs. However, acc courses in high school and in university are very different. So, if you decided you want to be a CA based on grade 11 accounting, you might end up reconsidering because CA's work is too remote from basic bookkeeping taught in high school. By the way, I know a bunch of CAs who never took a business course until their 3rd year in university, so you're not at the end of the world. :)

My final average for top 6 courses in grade 12 was 92.3%. I took English, Function, Calc, Data, International Business, Accounting and Writer's Craft. Aside from the good average, make sure to pick up leadership experience through community involvement and ECs. It really helps with your sup. application.

I don't have Data as one of my courses in grade 12 either. Again, will that put me at a disadvantage in university? Also, what credits do you take in first year if you decide to study accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ktggirl wrote

@MINTOK wrote

@ktggirl wrote

I don't have Data as one of my courses in grade 12 either. Again, will that put me at a disadvantage in university? Also, what credits do you take in first year if you decide to study accounting?

Not taking data may put you at a disadvantage, especially if you're not strong in math. Almost every business program has stats in the first year, which is basically a continuation of data, and many people struggle with the course. Having data in high school will prepare you better for stats.

Here is the list of courses you need to take in the first year if you're in the BBA program: http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/resources/BBA+Overview+Charts/$file/BBA_Year_1.png

Basically, in the first two years the program consist of 24 credits of core courses and 6 credits of electives. You begin specializing in the third year. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
^ Ok I don't know what the hell everyone is telling you up there, not even going to bother reading it. In short - don't go to Rotman. Just don't it's a horrible school that's overly theoretical, with sub-par recruitment, with no student-to-faculty interaction.

Apply Schulich, Waterloo AFM, Queen's, Laurier if you want to do your CA. You will have an easier time and have much more fun at these schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0