yconic - Rotman Commerce/Waterloo Math Faculty - Online Courses and Dropping
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rotman Commerce/Waterloo Math Faculty - Online Courses and Dropping

A photo of owee103 owee103
Can an online course count as one of the top six for Rotman?

Our guidance counselor called Waterloo admission staff on Friday and got a reply that all online courses will be treated the same as normal courses, and therefore the mark students get in online courses can be counted as one of the student's top six, even for the math faculty; however, as I talked to Patty Mah at the day of AFMAA, she said that the math faculty WILL NOT look at online courses even if there is a valid reason (i.e the school doesn't have that certain course), but the AFM program is now trying to convince the math faculty about it.

I am thinking of dropping one of my business class and just use online accounting, which I am forced to take online because our school doesn't offer it, as my final top six before midterm.

Who should I trust? D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of sparks23 sparks23
Wow so your going through the same pain as I am. My school doesn't offer A Lot of programs because #1 it's to small and #2 its a french school.

At the Ontario university fair I ask a guy from Rotman commerce and he said it really doesn't matter except they don't recommend taking math online during the summer. I've also heard that Waterloo is super tough and picky sometimes way to picky!!

Can u help me out? I wanna apply to Rotman commerce. My top 6 courses are

Calculus
English
Functions
Law

I feel like adding chem and french or should I add business related courses such as Business management, accounting, economics,finance (courses that I have never taken yet) does it make a difference?

PS: I'm in grade 11 just in case your wondering why I haven't figured this out yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of owee103 owee103
Thanks for answering.

I would say get as high as you can for Eng, Calc, and Adv. fxns, and the rest doesn't really matter in terms of what they are; however, if you are applying to Rotman to study accounting, then high school accounting is recommended, for the sake of not being behind because most of the people I know did take accounting before university.

I personally switched out from law to business management, which I am considering dropping because of the teacher, and haven't regret it at all after hearing about the course load (law).

My top six with online accounting, for your reference, are:

English;
Calc;
Data;
Adv. Fxns;
IB; and
Accounting.

Still waiting to hear back from Rotman~

@sparks23 wrote
Wow so your going through the same pain as I am. My school doesn't offer A Lot of programs because #1 it's to small and #2 its a french school.

At the Ontario university fair I ask a guy from Rotman commerce and he said it really doesn't matter except they don't recommend taking math online during the summer. I've also heard that Waterloo is super tough and picky sometimes way to picky!!

Can u help me out? I wanna apply to Rotman commerce. My top 6 courses are

Calculus
English
Functions
Law

I feel like adding chem and french or should I add business related courses such as Business management, accounting, economics,finance (courses that I have never taken yet) does it make a difference?

PS: I'm in grade 11 just in case your wondering why I haven't figured this out yet?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@owee103 wrote
Can an online course count as one of the top six for Rotman?

Our guidance counselor called Waterloo admission staff on Friday and got a reply that all online courses will be treated the same as normal courses, and therefore the mark students get in online courses can be counted as one of the student's top six, even for the math faculty; however, as I talked to Patty Mah at the day of AFMAA, she said that the math faculty WILL NOT look at online courses even if there is a valid reason (i.e the school doesn't have that certain course), but the AFM program is now trying to convince the math faculty about it.

I am thinking of dropping one of my business class and just use online accounting, which I am forced to take online because our school doesn't offer it, as my final top six before midterm.

Who should I trust? D:

Trust Patty Mah.

You don't know who (eg. a representative from which faculty) your guidance counselor spoke to. Meanwhile, Patty Mah was hired at the School of Accounting and Finance to run recruitment and marketing and she knows her stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0