yconic - Rotman vs AFM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rotman vs AFM

A photo of caribbeandiva caribbeandiva
Hey
I got into Rotman Commerce and AFM-FM. Im not completely sure where to go though. Which program is better in terms of workload and environment? Can someone list the pros and cons of each program for me? Or give me some input?
Thank you very much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
Unless you are 100% in pursuing a career in accounting (which you shouldn't be), Rotman is the way to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Bossofbosses wrote
Unless you are 100% in pursuing a career in accounting (which you shouldn't be), Rotman is the way to go.

As much as I dislike Rotman I'd have to agree :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote

There are finance options at Waterloo (Financial Management)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote

Why do you dislike Rotman?
And some people told me about how in Rotman after the first year, 40% of the ppl drop out, if thats true, it makes me kind of scared to go there. Does anyone know whether its true or not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caribbeandiva wrote

@Username81 wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote

And some people told me about how in Rotman after the first year, 40% of the ppl drop out, if thats true, it makes me kind of scared to go there. Does anyone know whether its true or not?

Yes, it is true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jtsai jtsai
It is true. I also got accepted to Rotman and AFM. I think im going to choose Rotman, because If i do not become a CA, then a BComm is definitely more useful than a BAFM which i earn at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caribbeandiva wrote

@Username81 wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote

It's not due to the school at all lol. It's a great school.

1. I'm a small town boy and UofT is a city in a gigantic city :/
2. All the mini colleges they have confused me (lol)

Some people don't like how they keep their grades around 70% (could explain the dropout rate?)...don't know what your view is on it but thought I should bring it up.

So yeah those two shouldn't really affect you. It's a great school, but those reasons are why I didn't apply ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@jtsai wrote
It is true. I also got accepted to Rotman and AFM. I think im going to choose Rotman, because If i do not become a CA, then a BComm is definitely more useful than a BAFM which i earn at Waterloo.

Hmm what you say does make sense.. but what about the 40% drop out rate thing? Is it because the ppl dnt focus or study as much and stuff or is the program just really really hard? And does anyone know if AFM has a drop out rate thing as well? And if they do, what is it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jtsai jtsai
If you are worried about GPA, Waterloo is definitely easier. But, If you study hard at UofT, and don't become a party animal, then I'm sure you'll be fine!Their both great programs but, I think if you can manage to get 90s or high 80s in high school, Rotman Commerce 1st year shouldn't pose that big of a problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0