yconic - Royal Military College of Canada
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Royal Military College of Canada

A photo of surjl0827 surjl0827
hi guys! I am currently in gr.11 in highshool and I want to attend the RMC as a pilot.
im just wondering if i am on the right track right now.
last years grades:
math 91%
english 80%
french 78%
socials 88%
science 87%
IT 97%
PE 86%

extra curriculars: martial arts, swimming(life guarding)
Model UN club, Rotary Interact club
Air cadets, PPL
about 60 hrs lf volunteering
regular volunteering at the VICSS? VCISS? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Looks good, keep it up. The combo of good grades, French and air cadets makes you a good candidate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krankd krankd
Yeah your marks and ECs look pretty good; another part of it is to be physically fit because part of the admissions process is a basic physical test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@krankd wrote
Yeah your marks and ECs look pretty good; another part of it is to be physically fit because part of the admissions process is a basic physical test.

The basic physical test is somewhat of a joke. 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 6 chin ups, grip strength and a 2.4 km run.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@ktel wrote

@krankd wrote

The basic physical test is somewhat of a joke. 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 6 chin ups, grip strength and a 2.4 km run.

I'd say the run is kind of a challenge...isn't there a time limit of like 10 or 12 minutes?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@iliketurtles wrote

@ktel wrote

@krankd wrote

I'd say the run is kind of a challenge...isn't there a time limit of like 10 or 12 minutes?

I run 2.4 km in just over 9 minutes. They recommend somewhere between 10-11 minutes. I am pretty darn fit though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The physical test ktel is talking about is the one that you must pass to get any position within the Armed Forces. Passing basic training is another story, and getting into RMC's pilot training program is a completely different story. My best friend from high school successfully got in (and has completed his degree, undergone basic pilot training, and is now working on his helicopter pilot training). I remember the process being very intense for him. Specifically, I remember he had to do physical fitness testing (picture running on a treadmill at full intensity and for a long time with all sorts of medical equipment attached to you) and an intensive medical history background check (I remember them making a fuss because he had what appeared to be an asthma attack when he was 11 years old, despite having no problems since then and being an athlete who made it to OFSAA on a number of occasions for different sports/activities).

Otherwise, you seem like a good candidate. Just know that fitness AND health are very important aspects of your application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
The physical test ktel is talking about is the one that you must pass to get any position within the Armed Forces. Passing basic training is another story, and getting into RMC's pilot training program is a completely different story. My best friend from high school successfully got in (and has completed his degree, undergone basic pilot training, and is now working on his helicopter pilot training). I remember the process being very intense for him. Specifically, I remember he had to do physical fitness testing (picture running on a treadmill at full intensity and for a long time with all sorts of medical equipment attached to you) and an intensive medical history background check (I remember them making a fuss because he had what appeared to be an asthma attack when he was 11 years old, despite having no problems since then and being an athlete who made it to OFSAA on a number of occasions for different sports/activities).

Otherwise, you seem like a good candidate. Just know that fitness AND health are very important aspects of your application.

I don't understand how testing VO2max (assuming that is the test) is relevant.

But still if they did that with every applicant...wow thats intense!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

I don't understand how testing VO2max (assuming that is the test) is relevant.

But still if they did that with every applicant...wow thats intense!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
VO2 max is a great indicator of your cardiovascular fitness, which is definitely important if you are in the military and even more important if you are a pilot. For fighter pilots in particular, they have to be able to breathe under high G loads
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
VO2 max is a great indicator of your cardiovascular fitness, which is definitely important if you are in the military and even more important if you are a pilot. For fighter pilots in particular, they have to be able to breathe under high G loads

even if ur VO2max is high...your body's efficiency in using the oxygen might be bad which makes it possible for a person with a lower VO2max to out perform a person with a higher VO2max.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Viking21 wrote
even if ur VO2max is high...your body's efficiency in using the oxygen might be bad which makes it possible for a person with a lower VO2max to out perform a person with a higher VO2max.

Well that's why there is a thing called relative VO2 max, which takes into account your body weight. A lighter person will be able to use the oxygen more efficiently than a heavier person with the same absolute VO2 max.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

@Viking21 wrote

Well that's why there is a thing called relative VO2 max, which takes into account your body weight. A lighter person will be able to use the oxygen more efficiently than a heavier person with the same absolute VO2 max.

Body weight can also be argued...i could argue that a larger person with a larger thoracic cavity can consume more oxygen...whereas a smaller person can limit his/her VO2max with size of there body.

I think a test better then VO2max is probably sub-maximal tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'm not sure if it was a VO2 max test exactly; I just know it wasn't something of that sort. Running on a treadmill with medical equipment attached to you could mean you're undergoing a VO2 max test but a VO2 max test is not the only possibility.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted