yconic - Ryerson - RADIO & TELEVISION
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ryerson - RADIO & TELEVISION

A photo of mattshore mattshore
Hi!

I wanted to start a thread to see who is applying to RTA for Fall 2011 and what their marks are like... you know... to check out the competition. I know that the essays and reference portion of the application are weighted equally as heavily as the marks, but... meh. I've heard of people that have low 80s (81, 82) getting in with amazing essays and people with great marks (high 80s, 90s) having crap essays and not getting in.

I'm currently sitting at about an 88-89, but hoping to get it up to a 90 so if I do get in, I could get my hands on one of those awesome $2,500 scholarships. I think I wrote fairly good essays. My references were killer though. Like. K-i-l-l-e-r.

Good luck everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
62 replies

A photo of AlDonato AlDonato
Hey Matt. I'm not applying (still in grade 11) to RTA, but I'm intrigued by Ryerson's Journalism and Radio & Television programs. I've read similar accounts, the essay/portfolio taking precedent over marks. Guess it's all about connections in this field :)

What do you mean by k-i-l-l-e-r references? Getting published seems to be what they're looking for, so I'm assuming things like school newspaper articles? Any tips or reccommendations for programs to apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey. What's up?

Well, my main thing is that for the past two years, I've been writing as an official blogger for MuchMusic.com. I write music reviews and post other media-related content. I shoot concerts and in-studio interviews (Much on Demand) for MuchMusic as well. Anyways, I got one of my references from my supervisor there and wrote a fair portion of my personal essay about my experiences with Much.

My other reference is my grade 12 English teacher who I also happened to have in grade 10 as well. I do fairly well in the class and she has told me that she sees me as one of the most creative, well-expressed students she has had in a while.

I think it's safe to say that it's good having at least one reference that corresponds to the program that you're applying to.

I've also applied to Western's MIT (Media Information and Technoculture) and MTP (Media Theory Production). I've heard nothing but good things about these Western programs, plus apparently it's extremely easy to find a job post-graduation. Like... employers come crawling to you... so I hear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of carkey188 carkey188

@mattshore wrote

I've also applied to Western's MIT (Media Information and Technoculture) and MTP (Media Theory Production). I've heard nothing but good things about these Western programs, plus apparently it's extremely easy to find a job post-graduation. Like... employers come crawling to you... so I hear.

I'm curious to know where you heard this from....MIT grads tend to need graduate school to land field related jobs as far as I know.

MTP is awesome, though. Television stream was amazing, loved every minute of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey
I applied to Ryerson's Journalism program.
Matt - how did you go about getting involved with MuchMusic?

Curious.
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RichardS RichardS

@carkey188 wrote

@mattshore wrote

I'm curious to know where you heard this from....MIT grads tend to need graduate school to land field related jobs as far as I know.

MTP is awesome, though. Television stream was amazing, loved every minute of it.

I've heard excellent reviews for practical media programs like RTA and MTP.

However, I'm also interested in Western's MIT program's job prospects. From my understanding it is a liberal arts degree (which generally means graduate work before jobs). Also MIT's own student zine doesn't seem too positive: MITzine Oct 2010
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@carkey188: I initially heard it from an MIT rep that was the the Ontario University Fair a while back. They gave me some statistic illustrating how many of their grads land jobs within the first few months of graduating. It was pretty high from what I remember. Yeah. MTP sounds so good. SO GOOD.

@chikaaa17: Good luck! I was thinking about applying to it, but never really got around to it... I had an intern search-type contest thing back in 09 (I think). They were looking for one in-office intern and a few to contribute to the blog and come in-office once in a while to photograph, etc. I got really lucky and landed it!

@RichardS: Guess I'm going to have to take a closer look at the program. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jweisfeld Jweisfeld
Does anybody know how hard it is to transfer from MIT to MTP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks Matt!

Do you know if they allow any students to write for them?

I'm dying to get experience writing online for SOMEWHERE.

Anyone know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I started writing for them as a high school student in grade eleven or so. So yep. Just look around. Blogs and other sites are always looking for contributors!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chimera Chimera
Hi,
I handed my application to the RTA program in February 2011. I guess along with everybody else...
Just wondering if anybody has received any offers???

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, I've heard alot about the personal essay. what did you guys pick for the research essay?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Good luck to all of you! :D
Tanya Kim is a Ryerson grad from the Journalism program and look where she is now! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haven't heard anything yet...

I have a few friends in second year of RTA and they said that they were offered admission in mid-March, despite the May release date that is posted on the Ryerson website.

I wrote my research essay on the on asking you to discuss how a TV show was extended through the use of other media platforms, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Matt,
Yes, I've also heard that some offers are given as early as march. However, I have checked with some of the staff at Ryerson and they claim that no offers of RTA have yet been sent out. It looks like it's a tough waiting game for all involved.

I did my essay on McLuhan... I don't know how well... but its done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Check your application status! I got in today! Beyond stoked.

Ryerson, Radio & Television Arts '15
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh My GOD!!!! I am so happy for you Matt.
Please pray for me.

All the best.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you! I totally am. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemonkissu lemonkissu
I was accepted! : D

Too bad I'm not really considering Ryerson though~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of borlanda borlanda
I've been ACCEPTED! I am still speechless :)

Good luck to everyone, my thoughts are with you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am wishfully thinking that they have not looked at my application yet. I was wondering when did you guys apply, or when you handed in your non-academic submissions??

Impatiently waiting still :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@borlanda wrote
I've been ACCEPTED! I am still speechless :)

Good luck to everyone, my thoughts are with you.

Congrats! See you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chimera wrote
I am wishfully thinking that they have not looked at my application yet. I was wondering when did you guys apply, or when you handed in your non-academic submissions??

To be honest, I had my grades-plus submissions couriered overnight on Jan. 31 and it was recieved the next morning at 10 am (the due date), which had to be worst decision I've ever made and I would NEVER suggest waiting so late to anyone. I applied in November. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chimera wrote

I applied online in January and sent my non-academic stuff in around January 15.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just realized never sent my congratulations- so, CONGRATS!
Was this helpful? Yes 0