yconic - Ryerson Architecture Interview + Waterloo Architecture (Co-op)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ryerson Architecture Interview + Waterloo Architecture (Co-op)

A photo of Shahida Shahida
Any previous year applicants who knows about what they make you write about during the interview? At first I thought it was just reviewing the portfolio, and then i discovered that there's "sketches" and now I read about people writing ESSAYS?! Anyone applied this year and know anything?
What is the essay about?

BTW, is it entirely impossible to get accepted into Waterloo Architecture or what? Everyone (on forums) said they were rejected with high 90 averages and good portfolios. Should I be scared? My hopes and dreams lie in the Waterloo ARch Program. =(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
If it was impossible, then no one would apply for it. It's certainly possible, just extremely difficult and competitive. Also, "good portfolio" is subjective - what one person thinks is a good portfolio may not be what the evaluators think. There's more to it than just a portfolio, there's the interview and the precis writing test and the AIF. Just try your best at all of them - there's nothing more you can do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

True, I wish they enrolled more people in the program to give people a better chance though.
Yes, I'm preparing for that entire list of TO-DOs even though I haven't been invited to an interview yet. *crosses fingers*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VH VH

@Shahida wrote
True, I wish they enrolled more people in the program to give people a better chance though.
Yes, I'm preparing for that entire list of TO-DOs even though I haven't been invited to an interview yet. *crosses fingers*

I'm on the same boat! Am i the only one who finds Waterloo Arch extremely intimidating? Good luck to ya :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@VH wrote

@Shahida wrote

I'm on the same boat! Am i the only one who finds Waterloo Arch extremely intimidating? Good luck to ya :)

I'm currently enrolled in UW Architecture. When I was on your boat, I was extremely intimidated and thought that I stood no chance of getting in. I had my "interview" at Ryerson (the reason that interview is in quotes is because it wasn't much of an interview at all). The process at Ryerson went like this (this was last year, assuming they have the same structure again):
You came in with your portfolio, handed it in and while they looked at it, you go into a big room with about 150 others and you get a piece of writing which you have to read and then summarize on a poster. You must illustrate the poster as well. The piece that I had was about architecture and it's evolution from being just for shelter into what it is now. One of the illustrations had to be from our imaginations, while the other had to be picked from a sheet of given ones. This whole process took about an hour if I recall, maybe a bit longer. Then you're done and you go pick up your portfolio. About a month later you get a response.

UW works quite differently. Not all applicants get an interview, that's for one. The interview is actually AN INTERVIEW where you stand in front of a panel of 2 profs and 2 upper year or grad students and show them your portfolio, answer questions and just talk to them. Essentially this is just an opportunity for them to get to know you and see if you are fit both as an artist and as a person for the program. It really isn't much like an interview, but rather a conversation between you and the panel. On the same day that you have the interview, you'll have a precis test. This test is significantly harder than the one you'll get at Ryerson. You'll have to read the piece several times before you start to understand it. You'll be asked to, once again, summarize the piece it about a 1/4 of its original length. After that you're done and you go home and away the results.

Hope this helped, if you guys have any other questions then feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@guripop wrote

I'm currently enrolled in UW Architecture. When I was on your boat, I was extremely intimidated and thought that I stood no chance of getting in. I had my "interview" at Ryerson (the reason that interview is in quotes is because it wasn't much of an interview at all). The process at Ryerson went like this (this was last year, assuming they have the same structure again):
You came in with your portfolio, handed it in and while they looked at it, you go into a big room with about 150 others and you get a piece of writing which you have to read and then summarize on a poster. You must illustrate the poster as well. The piece that I had was about architecture and it's evolution from being just for shelter into what it is now. One of the illustrations had to be from our imaginations, while the other had to be picked from a sheet of given ones. This whole process took about an hour if I recall, maybe a bit longer. Then you're done and you go pick up your portfolio. About a month later you get a response.

UW works quite differently. Not all applicants get an interview, that's for one. The interview is actually AN INTERVIEW where you stand in front of a panel of 2 profs and 2 upper year or grad students and show them your portfolio, answer questions and just talk to them. Essentially this is just an opportunity for them to get to know you and see if you are fit both as an artist and as a person for the program. It really isn't much like an interview, but rather a conversation between you and the panel. On the same day that you have the interview, you'll have a precis test. This test is significantly harder than the one you'll get at Ryerson. You'll have to read the piece several times before you start to understand it. You'll be asked to, once again, summarize the piece it about a 1/4 of its original length. After that you're done and you go home and away the results.

Hope this helped, if you guys have any other questions then feel free to ask.

THANKS SO MUCH!! Yeah, well the main thing I am worried about is the fact that not aLL applicants get the interview at UW =|
I am filling in my AIF right now...hope this creates a chance for me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan
@guripop
Did you get into Ryerson too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So hows everyone's portfolio going?? I'm so scared when i see everyone else's, mine will look like crap ahah
@juicetan you ready for ryerson interviews? im so pumped :P mine is march 12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan
I still have to edit the list of extracurriculars and interests that Ryerson wants in the portfolio. Then I have to print it all. I'm also on March 12, afternoon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@juicetan wrote
@guripop
Did you get into Ryerson too?

Yes I did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is everyone scanning/taking pictures of their art and printing it on 8.5 x 11 paper?
Or anything else special for Ryerson's "NO ORIGINALS" policy?
I'm worried I might have too much, whats the range of items everyone else is taking?
I took MArch 19 :scratch: so i can use my march break?
Is anyone making title page for portfolio? =S They wanted there form to be attached to the top . . .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Shahida wrote
Is everyone scanning/taking pictures of their art and printing it on 8.5 x 11 paper?
Or anything else special for Ryerson's "NO ORIGINALS" policy?
I'm worried I might have too much, whats the range of items everyone else is taking?
I took MArch 19 :scratch: so i can use my march break?
Is anyone making title page for portfolio? =S They wanted there form to be attached to the top . . .

I found that Ryerson appreciated the presentation of the portfolio. They like organization and neatness (understandable). I had scanned/taken photos of all my work, spent a good day on this with a DSLR and a tripod, then edited them a little on photoshop (cropped them and adjusted the lighting) and printed them out at Staples. I had a about 20 pieces. I bought an 11x14 portfolio case from Deseres, bought black paper and cut it to the same size (20 pieces) and used double sided tape to attach my artwork. I just left a couple pages at the front and put the form in along with my resume and a letter of reference.
I don't know what their size requirements are this year though... might be different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dwarf dwarf
@guripop..
if u don't mind, i just want to ask whats ur average??
cuz i also want to apply for waterloo architecture but i'm not confident abt my marks..
thanks..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lyndam2004 lyndam2004
Off topic but I thought I would ask. This is for any of you Students enrolled in a University Architecture already. I cam currently in completing grade 12 and hope to take Architecture next year at any number of schools? I am in need of a new lap top currently. I am hesitant to buy one as I am not sure what the program will require ? I have heard not to get an Apple ? Is this true? Any suggestions ?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cassoo cassoo
Hey everyone, quick question to those who have already been accepted... What kind of art did you include in your portfolio? I love art so I'm not worried about not being good enough, I'm just really worried about not including the kinds of things they want to see? I know they want a variety of things, but I really don't know what should and shouldn't go into my portfolio...
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0