yconic - Ryerson Architecture Portfolio Interviews!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ryerson Architecture Portfolio Interviews!

A photo of Minime22 Minime22
It's the time of the year again and as a student at Ryerson I know that the Portfolio Interviews will be going on this month! I know that the first one is tomorrow 10-12 and 12-2?

I think....I want to be there as a support for anyone who arrives early and to take a quick look at their portfolio and also bringing my accepted portfolio to show you guys!
(probably kinda late now--but if anyone is interested?)

Leave me a time you'll be there!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of dinosaurbones dinosaurbones
Cool! I don't have my interview until March 19 but I'd love to see your portfolio! Is there any way I can see it online? I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to Ryerson early on my interview date and my time after the interview is just as uncertain.

And what do you think of the Ryerson program so far? What year are you in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm in first year :)~ liking the program so far, but it's a lot of work! They are improving the curriculum every year!

Unfortunately theres no way to see my portfolio online...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shahida Shahida
I am freaking out because I only have two pieces printed out!!!
I kind of need a place to get my things printed. Know anywhere cheap?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Shahida wrote
I am freaking out because I only have two pieces printed out!!!
I kind of need a place to get my things printed. Know anywhere cheap?

In Toronto?

On Bond Street there is a print place called Inkport and another on

Dalhousie Street there is another print shop that is called Sherwood, both are great places and 5 mins away from the architecture building :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Minime22 wrote

In Toronto?

On Bond Street there is a print place called Inkport and another on

Dalhousie Street there is another print shop that is called Sherwood, both are great places and 5 mins away from the architecture building :)

Hey, thanks! Do you know how much they charge per page and if they print different sizes of paper?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SarbearK SarbearK
Oh good, I found someone who can help!
Okay my main concern is why we can't include originals?! My pieces lose their quality when they're photocopied/pictured.
Also, Ryerson says they're returning our portfolios but their website says otherwise. Which do I believe?

Answers appreciated! :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@SarbearK wrote
Oh good, I found someone who can help!
Okay my main concern is why we can't include originals?! My pieces lose their quality when they're photocopied/pictured.
Also, Ryerson says they're returning our portfolios but their website says otherwise. Which do I believe?

Answers appreciated! :cat:

Last year, they returned it to us. The reason they don't want originals is because they want them of a specific size for one and two, in case they lose it or something happens to it, they don't want to be responsible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan

@SarbearK wrote

They're returning the portfolios right after the session.
http://www.ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admission/downloads/NAR/Arch.pdf FAQ 1

What does it say on their website?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SarbearK: What they did last year was they returned our portfolios after the test.
They want photocopies because it's easier to flip through all 100+ portfolios so they can see who has art skills who doesn't, also, as you take your test they look at portfolios so they don't have time for a panel of professors to go through all the portfolios if it was big huge oil paintings/what ever you bring.

@Shahida: Um....its about 50cents per page at inkport, and about the same for sherwood :)
I just printed an essay 8 pages writing + 2 colored = 4 dollars
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Minime22, do you have any suggestions on what to bring to the Ryerson interview??
art pencils? sketchbooks? rulers? erasers? pen? etc

I already read the stuff they tell us to bring like portfolio, id, all the documents, etc., its just not very clear what exactly we need to do the tests. or, will they provide the pencils?

Can anyone that already did the interview on March 5th give the rest of us some tips? :P How was it?. My interview is at 2 on the 12th.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@garyluk: they will provide everything you need :) just...be awake XD alot of thinking will be involved with the test!

Portfolio+documents is all you need to bring!
Your interview is at 2? want me to bring my portfolio :>?:cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, would you suggest wearing a suit to look professional? or is that too much... I know i'll be wearing a suit to the waterloo interview because its a 1 on 1 interview, but im not so sure about ryerson
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan
@minime22 Ya, bring your portfolio Saturday (12th) afternoon! I'm going to be there at 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Garyluk: I personally think a suit is too much....just nice clean clothes would be fine...

@JuiceTan: :) alright er...i'm gonna wear a huge red scarf tmrw lol...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@garyluk wrote
Hey Minime22, do you have any suggestions on what to bring to the Ryerson interview??
art pencils? sketchbooks? rulers? erasers? pen? etc

I already read the stuff they tell us to bring like portfolio, id, all the documents, etc., its just not very clear what exactly we need to do the tests. or, will they provide the pencils?

Can anyone that already did the interview on March 5th give the rest of us some tips? :P How was it?. My interview is at 2 on the 12th.

LOL so how was it??!! Mine is on the final day
Apparently the sketch was confusing and the writeup was easy??
Any other details you can add please??
How many pieces of work did u have in ur portfolio, right now i have 18 =|
and umm how did u get there? is it easier to take the yonge-sheppard line or the downsview subway???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@garyluk wrote
Also, would you suggest wearing a suit to look professional? or is that too much... I know i'll be wearing a suit to the waterloo interview because its a 1 on 1 interview, but im not so sure about ryerson

Btw... you got an interview from waterloo??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it was alright, the sketch was easy and the precis was straightforward. I'm not sure if i did it correctly though lol. i pretty much just shortened each paragraph to like 1 or 2 sentences... i have about 14 works.
and , i got driven there and dropped off at the door so i wouldnt know :P

and no i didn't get an interview yet, but i'm expecting one xP *crosses fingers*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@garyluk wrote
it was alright, the sketch was easy and the precis was straightforward. I'm not sure if i did it correctly though lol. i pretty much just shortened each paragraph to like 1 or 2 sentences... i have about 14 works.

and no i didn't get an interview yet, but i'm expecting one xP *crosses fingers*

really? what are quantity/quality spaces?? =S
So is the precis about summarizing the text they give you to read?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Shahida wrote

@garyluk wrote

really? what are quantity/quality spaces?? =S
So is the precis about summarizing the text they give you to read?

"A precis" is an exercise when you have to summarize a given text into about a 1/4 of the length. Last year's, Waterloo's was a lot more difficult than Ryerson's (no offense).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it okay if some of my art pieces are "Landscape" (meaning width is longer and length is short)? Do i just put them sideways and facing outwards?
=S
Does this post make any sense? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Shahida wrote
Is it okay if some of my art pieces are "Landscape" (meaning width is longer and length is short)? Do i just put them sideways and facing outwards?
=S
Does this post make any sense? lol

It makes sense, and yes it's fine. I had some like that too. Maybe, just try to group them... so that they don't have to keep flipping the book/turning their heads.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tealight Tealight
My session's on Saturday and I'm starting to feel the anxiety, haha! For those of you who've already gone, how was it? Does the précis and sketching test take a full three hours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 10 10
tealight, it was good, mine went smoothly.
It was like 30 min for the drawings and an hour for the written.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Tealight wrote
My session's on Saturday and I'm starting to feel the anxiety, haha! For those of you who've already gone, how was it? Does the précis and sketching test take a full three hours?

SEe you there!
and dont worry im feeling CRAZY nervous
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey guys my interview is tomorrow on the 19th and to be honest i think i'm pretty screwed :/

i have really no idea what to do with my portfolio, i have like 4 drawings of random stuff, no clue what to make it look like , nothing and i've not been able to get any help.

am i supposed to make it all nice and pro on the computer ? i don't even have a great camera to take pics, 2 megapixel phone
i'd really really appreciate it if someone can show me theirs online, just so i can get an idea on how i need to make mine look. i need to snap hardd on this portfolio today..

its going to be a looooooong night:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0