yconic - Ryerson Business Management vs. Laurier Economics
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ryerson Business Management vs. Laurier Economics

A photo of Absolut Absolut
Hi guys, I was wondering what program do you feel is better for a finance major/economics. Im currently at Ryerson and want to go to Luarier and I was wondering if you thought Laurier was better. I plan on going to do a graduate degree(MBA,CMA,CA, etc..) oneday would Laurier be better for me? Also does anyone know the difference between Honours economics and applied economics from Laurier? Any help appreciated thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

@Absolut wrote
Hi guys, I was wondering what program do you feel is better for a finance major/economics. Im currently at Ryerson and want to go to Luarier and I was wondering if you thought Laurier was better. I plan on going to do a graduate degree(MBA,CMA,CA, etc..) oneday would Laurier be better for me? Also does anyone know the difference between Honours economics and applied economics from Laurier? Any help appreciated thanks!

Personally it's a toss up but in terms of finance I would chose Laurier even though Ryerson is getting the new Accounting and Finance Program. Both school are accredited with both of with the ICAO. However, there is co-op at Laurier and it's just a better campus atmosphere. Also Laurier is a better business school. In terms of Applied and honours, houours has co-op and has more math while applied is more administrative and no co-op. Both university will provide you a good job right after. Good Luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Please feel free to ask any other questions about Laurier Economics. I have already been accepted to the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ac123 ac123

@honourstudent101 wrote
Please feel free to ask any other questions about Laurier Economics. I have already been accepted to the program.

Hi, I wanted to know how hard is it to switch to BBA if you choose honours econ with coop?
I have an average around 83% with my top 6 and i currently have a 87 in economics.

I really wanted to go to laurier but i dont think ill get in BBA, is it really worthwhile to try to get into bba from econ coop? Are the chances high to get into bba?

And is it better than mcmaster bcom?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

It really depends on how well you do first year, Since you will be taking the same courses as 1st year BBA students if you do really well in them then you will be able to transfer into BBA. Also, I'm pretty sure you need a mid to high 80 (same as BBA students)and the BBA high school admission requirements (competing with grade 12s next year for BBA spots since they cap admissions). Furthermore, try getting in this year by filling out the ABS form. In terms of BBA vs Econ, yes BBA is better but that being said Econ students are competing with BBA students for the same co-op positions. The econ program is from what I heard is more difficult then the BBA programs. Yes there will be a few dumb-asses in the econ program but some of the econ students perform better than the BBA students. If you chose the financial management stream then apparently it has a higher hiring rate than BBA student following graduation. If you chose the accounting stream you will be accredited with the CA, CMA and CGA. Finally, yes in my opinion it's better than Mcmaster, since Laurier is more focused on business and Mac is more focus on Sciences. Also, co-op and reputation at Laurier make it better. Therefore, I think you should just stick with Laurier BBA. Best of Luck :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BChun BChun

@honourstudent101 wrote
Personally it's a toss up but in terms of finance I would chose Laurier even though Ryerson is getting the new Accounting and Finance Program. Both school are accredited with both of with the ICAO. However, there is co-op at Laurier and it's just a better campus atmosphere. Also Laurier is a better business school. In terms of Applied and honours, houours has co-op and has more math while applied is more administrative and no co-op. Both university will provide you a good job right after. Good Luck

Where did you get the idea that Ryerson is ICAO accredited... it has only the 51-credit hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BChun wrote

@honourstudent101 wrote

Where did you get the idea that Ryerson is ICAO accredited... it has only the 51-credit hours.

Sorry I meant that it has all the required 51 credit hours for the ICAO requirement. My there is a huge difference, but still you are still on the right track to the CA profession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ac123 ac123

@honourstudent101 wrote
It really depends on how well you do first year, Since you will be taking the same courses as 1st year BBA students if you do really well in them then you will be able to transfer into BBA. Also, I'm pretty sure you need a mid to high 80 (same as BBA students)and the BBA high school admission requirements (competing with grade 12s next year for BBA spots since they cap admissions). Furthermore, try getting in this year by filling out the ABS form. In terms of BBA vs Econ, yes BBA is better but that being said Econ students are competing with BBA students for the same co-op positions. The econ program is from what I heard is more difficult then the BBA programs. Yes there will be a few dumb-asses in the econ program but some of the econ students perform better than the BBA students. If you chose the financial management stream then apparently it has a higher hiring rate than BBA student following graduation. If you chose the accounting stream you will be accredited with the CA, CMA and CGA. Finally, yes in my opinion it's better than Mcmaster, since Laurier is more focused on business and Mac is more focus on Sciences. Also, co-op and reputation at Laurier make it better. Therefore, I think you should just stick with Laurier BBA. Best of Luck :cheers:

Okay but lets say I complete my 4 years at uni with a BA econ. Would it be looked down upon by employers in comparison to a mcmaster bcom since a ba econ is just a bachelor of arts degree? Isnt mcmaster better because its an ACTUAL bcom degree instead of a BA?

I guess Im just thinking ahead hypothetically if I dont get into bba and if i continue with laurier econ. my main question is, a BA degree vs Bcom. Thanks in advance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ac123 wrote

@honourstudent101 wrote

Okay but lets say I complete my 4 years at uni with a BA econ. Would it be looked down upon by employers in comparison to a mcmaster bcom since a ba econ is just a bachelor of arts degree? Isnt mcmaster better because its an ACTUAL bcom degree instead of a BA?

I guess Im just thinking ahead hypothetically if I dont get into bba and if i continue with laurier econ. my main question is, a BA degree vs Bcom. Thanks in advance :)

I don't think so because there are many people with economics degrees and still get jobs after graduation. Also, Laurier Econ is in the same faculty as the BBA program and many recruiters recruit both BA and BBA equally. The BBA is more practical and BA is more theoretical but they could get similar if not the same job. In the end however, it is your decision to choose the school and program. If you are confident than try switching your application (if it's not too late) and fill out the ABS form if your mark falls within the 1-3% range. Best of Luck and i hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ac123 ac123

@honourstudent101 wrote

@ac123 wrote

@honourstudent101 wrote

I don't think so because there are many people with economics degrees and still get jobs after graduation. Also, Laurier Econ is in the same faculty as the BBA program and many recruiters recruit both BA and BBA equally. The BBA is more practical and BA is more theoretical but they could get similar if not the same job. In the end however, it is your decision to choose the school and program. If you are confident than try switching your application (if it's not too late) and fill out the ABS form if your mark falls within the 1-3% range. Best of Luck and i hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for ur help! :) but do I need to apply for ba economics or will I automatically get it if I dont get bba? cuz i didnt apply for ba econ specifically
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ac123 wrote

@honourstudent101 wrote

@ac123 wrote

@honourstudent101 wrote

Thanks for ur help! :) but do I need to apply for ba economics or will I automatically get it if I dont get bba? cuz i didnt apply for ba econ specifically

The Cut-off for BBA is 86-87 if you fill out the ABS form and get at least 73 or 84 they'll consider you but if your mark is lower than that but higher than 82 then you get an automatic alternative offer to BA Economics and if it's higher than 79 but lower than 82 then you will get an applied economics offer. Anything lower than 79 will give you BA arts. P.S the ABS form is only for the program you applied to and not the alternative offers. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0