yconic - Ryerson or Rotman ??????????????????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ryerson or Rotman ??????????????????

A photo of angepange angepange
Which would be a better choice if I want to become a CA?

Im currently a student at U of T and have decided I want to study business. I want to go to Ryerson because I find the environment at U of T really depressing, but im also attracted to the prestige of Rotman. However, getting into Rotman would be tough (as I am not a direct entry student) and the tuition is nearly DOUBLE that of Ryerson. But im starting to think that it may be worth it...

How much does reputation matter in the business world? My biggest fear is I will be laughed at when I go looking for a job with Ryerson on my resume... :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm having the exact same issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yay im not alone ! :cheers:

If it helps, everyone ive talked to has said Ryerson. Even my cousin who went to shulich said so too (hes now a grade 6 teacher... lol??). I also know someone who went to Ryerson for Finance and is making great money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I really like Ryersons program and want to got there, but I'm worried about not getting a job after. It seems like in the accounting world, a high gpa and a designation is all that really matters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I dont know about that...

Maybe for a Big 4 company. But there are so many more accounting jobs out there that are just as well paying and alot less demanding. Don't think that getting a job in the Big 4 = happiness. I plan to get a job in the government. Great pay and benefits, alot less stress !

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

True. I guess I just think that way because of all the stereotypes created by the trolls on this forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
If you have your CA, they don't care where you went to school. Rotman is fully accredited while Ryerson isn't but does have the required 51 credit-hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Accredidation doesnt mean anything though when you can't even maintain a decent GPA. If you put in the effort at Ryerson, you can get a decent GPA, but Rotman is just brutal in terms of being a GPA killer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@arcchit wrote
Accredidation doesnt mean anything though when you can't even maintain a decent GPA. If you put in the effort at Ryerson, you can get a decent GPA, but Rotman is just brutal in terms of being a GPA killer.

Only have to maintain a GPA of 7.0 (B-) average for the courses at an accredited program, versus Ryerson where you have to get a GPA of 7.0 (B-) in each of the required courses.

The accredited programs are definitely the elite programs, that is why they are accredited.

There is definitely positive and negatives to both. If I were to make this decision, I would probably choose Rotman but that's just me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ye, I would probably pick Rotman too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
You could do it at both schools. You just need to put the effort in and either will work. If you are seriously doubting your ability to get a decent GPA at Rotman, I would suggest Ryerson. I hear it has a great atmosphere, and it sounds like you would like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@angepange wrote
Which would be a better choice if I want to become a CA?

Im currently a student at U of T and have decided I want to study business. I want to go to Ryerson because I find the environment at U of T really depressing, but im also attracted to the prestige of Rotman. However, getting into Rotman would be tough (as I am not a direct entry student) and the tuition is nearly DOUBLE that of Ryerson. But im starting to think that it may be worth it...

How much does reputation matter in the business world? My biggest fear is I will be laughed at when I go looking for a job with Ryerson on my resume... :(

What I'm about to say is going to sound biased...probably because it is.

Ryerson's reputation is increasing at a good pace right now. I'm almost certain that nobody will laugh at you if they see Ryerson on your resume.

Aside from that, I really can't tell you anything. The only thing I know is that U of T is accredited while Ryerson isn't, but apparently that doesn't make much of a difference. If it comes down to it, visit both campuses and ask students from both schools what their views are.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS
[/quote]

The only thing I know is that U of T is accredited while Ryerson isn't, but apparently that doesn't make much of a difference.

[/quote]

Do you even know what being accredited means?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BBABOSS wrote

The only thing I know is that U of T is accredited while Ryerson isn't, but apparently that doesn't make much of a difference.

I'm not sure if you are asking dancecubed or asking for yourself, but I will answer this anyways.

[quote]Students completing their CA requirements through an Institute-accredited program/stream do not have to worry about counting courses to complete the ICAO's 51 credit-hour requirement.

Graduates who achieve a minimum GPA of 'B-' in Institute-accredited programs or streams (MMPA is B) are considered to have met all of the requirements for entry into ICAO's Professional Program. The courses used as the basis for calculating the minimum GPA requirement depends on whether the graduates are from an ICAO-accredited program or accounting stream within a program.

For a program, the minimum 'B-' GPA is calculated based on all of the courses in the program.

For an accounting stream within a program, the minimum 'B-' GPA requirement is calculated based on the set of courses that define the stream.[/QUOTE]
http://guidetorulingtheworld.ca/Become/AccreditedPrograms.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@BBABOSS wrote

Don't get me wrong, I mean to say that you can become a CA, regardless of which school you attend.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks so much for all the input !!!

But, just to clarify...

g93 said : "If you have your CA, they don't care where you went to school. Rotman is fully accredited while Ryerson isn't but does have the required 51 credit-hours."

Im not worried about job prospects after getting my CA designation lol... Im worried about getting a job in order to GET my CA (you need 3 years work experience)

http://www.guidetorulingtheworld.ca/Become/HowToBecome.aspx

** sorry i dont know how to quote
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@angepange wrote
Thanks so much for all the input !!!

But, just to clarify...

g93 said : "If you have your CA, they don't care where you went to school. Rotman is fully accredited while Ryerson isn't but does have the required 51 credit-hours."

Im not worried about job prospects after getting my CA designation lol... Im worried about getting a job in order to GET my CA (you need 3 years work experience)

http://www.guidetorulingtheworld.ca/Become/HowToBecome.aspx

** sorry i dont know how to quote

Actually it is 30 months of work experience.

Don't worry about not getting a coming out of Ryerson. It is a completely attainable goal to grab a good accounting job out of Ryerson, even at one of the big 4. You just have to put the work in and network. But getting a job shouldn't be overly difficult if you put effort in. If you come out of school just expecting a job since you passed, there is where your problems will lie. But I wouldn't stress about not getting a job just because you're going to Ryerson, because you can go to any school and fail to land a job. It is possible that you may have a hard time finding a job, but if you search long, hard and far enough you will likely get something. It could also be easier to stand out at Ryerson versus Rotman, which could be to your advantage as well.

**Quote button, or ['s with "quote" inside, at the end need ['s and "/quote"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I would probably pick Rotman even though it's a tougher program...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canton0983 canton0983
Another important consideration if you want to become a CA, is that you NEED get hours "articling" at a public accounting firm (and now working in accounting for a large corporation like RBC or Manulife). So you have to consider how each program affects for your chances for that. In general, the easiest way for accounting students to get those CA hours is working at a Big 4 or mid-size firm (RSM, Grant Thorton, Fuller Landau), simply because they have more structured hiring practices (they will hire a substantial number of students every year). You can definitely work at a smaller firm, but it's tough because you have to usually go out and find those firms.

In terms of big 4 jobs, Rotman places A LOT of students every year. I don't think it is particularly special compared to the other "top" business schools such as Schulich, Queens or Ivey. However, I believe it is a lot better than Ryerson. The Big 4 DOES recruit at Ryerson, but at much fewer numbers I believe. So it's not impossible, but you really have to be the best, while as long as you're pretty social and have moderately okay grades, you can get a job out of Rotman.

Again, I'm not saying Big 4 is your only path to a CA. However, it is a path that many students go through. Furthermore, most people aren't Big 4 lifers. In fact, most people leave pretty soon after they finish their hours (and get their designation), and continue their careers in industry. So essentially the Big 4 is the standard stepping stone for many (and I would say more prestigious) accounting careers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Everyone is saying Rotman is a very hard program, well, wouldn't it be factual that if you do very well in Rotman you'll stand out more than an ivey counter part? simply because Rotman is known for it's excruciating difficulty?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canton0983 canton0983

@Gucci wrote
Everyone is saying Rotman is a very hard program, well, wouldn't it be factual that if you do very well in Rotman you'll stand out more than an ivey counter part? simply because Rotman is known for it's excruciating difficulty?

I'm not sure Rotman has the same reputation as a "difficult" school in the corporate world. Either way, the brand of the university is much more important, and in that sense Ivey stands out more.

And, I think people mistake a difficulty of getting high marks at Rotman (because the class averages are high 60's to 70's), with difficulty and depth of the material. Ivey classes probably end up covering more material at deeper levels. So perhaps it is more impressive to get a high mark in Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0