yconic - ryerson ted rogers - business management course selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ryerson ted rogers - business management course selection

A photo of traveldrive traveldrive
Hi, I'm going to be attending Ryerson university in the fall for business management. Do you guys know how many courses first year students are supposed to have and how many electives are we allowed? If I was to take a few electives.. what are some fun, interesting, and easy electives to get a good grade in?

thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of sleeporfoodorfriends sleeporfoodorfriends
Hello,

If things have stayed the same, first year students are supposed to take 6 courses in their first semester and 5 courses in their 2nd. Granted, BUS100 is one of those first 6 and it doesn't really count as a course (when I took it, it was really just a matter of showing up... occasionally).

Here is a link to the Ryerson Online Calendar where you will find a list of all the courses students are supposed to take (in regards to their year, major, etc.). If you click around you'll also find the liberal course tables. All students are required to take 3 lower and 3 upper level liberal courses throughout their 4 years. It doesn't matter what year you take them (though keep in mind you need to take certain prerequisite courses for your major each semester, so skipping those in favour of taking liberal courses all in one go may extend your time at Ryerson).

http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2011-2012/pg2688.html

I would personally recommend Politics and Film (POL128) and Pop Culture (SOC202) as some lower level liberals.

Good luck with everything and I hope you are attending Frosh!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sleeporfoodorfriends wrote
Hello,

If things have stayed the same, first year students are supposed to take 6 courses in their first semester and 5 courses in their 2nd. Granted, BUS100 is one of those first 6 and it doesn't really count as a course (when I took it, it was really just a matter of showing up... occasionally).

Here is a link to the Ryerson Online Calendar where you will find a list of all the courses students are supposed to take (in regards to their year, major, etc.). If you click around you'll also find the liberal course tables. All students are required to take 3 lower and 3 upper level liberal courses throughout their 4 years. It doesn't matter what year you take them (though keep in mind you need to take certain prerequisite courses for your major each semester, so skipping those in favour of taking liberal courses all in one go may extend your time at Ryerson).

http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2011-2012/pg2688.html

I would personally recommend Politics and Film (POL128) and Pop Culture (SOC202) as some lower level liberals.

Good luck with everything and I hope you are attending Frosh!

can you give me a brief outline of what is done in each of the course? (POL128 and SOC202)

is politics and film about making videoes and stuff :o?

thanks !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sleeporfoodorfriends sleeporfoodorfriends
I took both last semester. POL128 really depends on the professor that you have - I had Laurinda Hartt-Fournier. With her, the most important thing in the course was to attend class (there were two each week, 1 and 2 hours respectively) to watch the movies she would show. We watched Scott Pilgrim along with some more obscure Canadian movies. She'd pause or interrupt during the screenings and have discussions afterwards for analysis (themes, role of politics, etc.). We had to write two papers - one to analyze an episode of a TV show, and one to analyze a movie. The tests were very easy (if you watched all the movies and paid attention in class).

SOC202 was also fairly interesting - I took it with Carmen Schifellite, probably butchered his last name. He's a great professor and clearly enjoys his lectures. Two classes per week with 2 hour lectures and 1 hour sessions with his TAs. There were occasional in class assignments worth 1%. If I remember correctly there was one essay. Again, tests were very, very easy if you paid attention in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sleeporfoodorfriends wrote
I took both last semester. POL128 really depends on the professor that you have - I had Laurinda Hartt-Fournier. With her, the most important thing in the course was to attend class (there were two each week, 1 and 2 hours respectively) to watch the movies she would show. We watched Scott Pilgrim along with some more obscure Canadian movies. She'd pause or interrupt during the screenings and have discussions afterwards for analysis (themes, role of politics, etc.). We had to write two papers - one to analyze an episode of a TV show, and one to analyze a movie. The tests were very easy (if you watched all the movies and paid attention in class).

SOC202 was also fairly interesting - I took it with Carmen Schifellite, probably butchered his last name. He's a great professor and clearly enjoys his lectures. Two classes per week with 2 hour lectures and 1 hour sessions with his TAs. There were occasional in class assignments worth 1%. If I remember correctly there was one essay. Again, tests were very, very easy if you paid attention in class.

grr,,, i really hate politics haha... what kind of in class assignments did you have to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

so politic and films is basically watching movies/epsiodes and analyzing the characters/scenes? and it doesn't involve making videos?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted