yconic - SAUDER 2011 Transfer Thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

SAUDER 2011 Transfer Thread

A photo of dreamteam dreamteam
Anyone else wanting to transfer to Sauder? I'm a third year transfer. Let's keep each other updated :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
42 replies

A photo of zz2626 zz2626
I have already apply, but I am transfer to year two. I am only in 1st year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
I am a transfer as well. I applied for year 2 but I think they should could put me in the second semester of year 1 instead, Let's hope we all get accepted.

I transfered with around 30 college credits (they said over 24, you chose year 2), but since im in the bcomm with major in computer science, i can't just skip to year 2 without taking the basic courses of information systems.

Anyone knows, if it is possible to have a bcom with major in commerce and computer science with finance as specialization? I will do international exchange and participate in the summer exchange program as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaasuen kaasuen
I'm also a transfer student for 2nd year! Waiting for a response! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has heard about early admission yet?

I know they are supposed to be decided upon between mid-feb and late-march, but has anyone got accepted yet?

Also what are everyone's averages like?.... and does any one know other previous transfer students who got in and what their averages were?

I am a first year student looking to transfer into second year in Sauder... I think I have a decent supplemental and average, but kinda just want to compare haha.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@camrk wrote

I know they are supposed to be decided upon between mid-feb and late-march, but has anyone got accepted yet?

Also what are everyone's averages like?.... and does any one know other previous transfer students who got in and what their averages were?

I am a first year student looking to transfer into second year in Sauder... I think I have a decent supplemental and average, but kinda just want to compare haha.

Thanks!

My application is ready for evaluation but I have yet to recieve a response from them.
As far as grade goes, if you only take my relevant courses "excluding calculus 2" my average sits around the 86-87% range. However, I am a transfer student (cegep) and have a 60% pass grading scale. When all my courses are taken into account my average is 79% (I am being reviewed as year 2 CEGEP students).

I think if i get accepted its due to my personal profile, because this is where I truly standout.

They told me mid-march when I talked to them on the phone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk
Okay sweet. Thanks for letting me know.
I had a first semester overall average of 87, and core average of 90... but i really dont know how to judge my supplemental, so i really hope it is good enough to get me in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@camrk wrote

Thanks!

If you want to get a rough idea of what the averages of 2nd year transfers are, you should google old studentawards threads for Sauder applicants (some of them show up on their old website) - I found it was really helpful because a lot of the people on the threads had info from when they talked to Sauder advisors that is normally hard to find. Here is what I remember that seemed helpful from a thread from last year (though none of this I'm 100% sure about, the last time I looked at it was before the application was due and I don't have the best memory):

- Students were accepted with a wide range of grades - a couple of people have said they were accepted even with averages (both core and overall) in the mid-low seventies, but that their supplementals were also really good. My understanding is that this is pretty rare, however.

- Someone said that when they went to spoke to a Sauder advisor, they told them that the importance of the supplemental is affected by how close they are to the average grade. I think (but this could definitely be inaccurate) that the advisor said it was roughly a 3.5 UBC GPA (78%) - so that if you were lower than that, your supplemental would need to make up for it on your supplemental (personal profile) more, and if you were higher than that, you had a little bit of space to not have a perfect supplemental. Point is, a good supplemental or good grades don't cancel each other out - one has to make up for the other depending on how much it's lacking.

- Sauder advisors seems to generally emphasize that the core average (English, Math, Econ) matters considerably more than the overall average.

- Someone said that they partook in a presentation about applying to Sauder and that they were told that the odds of getting into Sauder for 2nd year transfer are roughly 1 in 10, and for 3rd year transfer it's roughly 1 in 5. If you don't get in, there is a good chance you may have still been an above average applicant, so try not to sweat it too much.

- People generally seemed to have better luck getting informative answers to their application questions in-person from Sauder advisors or from the people that answer posts on the UBC Prospective Undergraduates Facebook page's wall.

That's what I know from spending hours plowing through these posts after deciding I wanted to transfer, but again, I encourage anyone who's interested to look over them and verify them personally - and sorry if I got any of that wrong.

It's going to be interesting to see how things change this year with Sauder using UBC's new broad-based admissions system now - usually supplementals haven't been due in until March 15th but I wonder if the fact that they're getting them all ~2 months early will change when most people can expect their answers.

Sorry, long post, I know. I just thought it might be helpful to have that info available here instead of leaving it for people to have to dig up all over again. Good luck everybody!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk

@UBCGuy wrote

@camrk wrote

Thanks!

If you want to get a rough idea of what the averages of 2nd year transfers are, you should google old studentawards threads for Sauder applicants (some of them show up on their old website) - I found it was really helpful because a lot of the people on the threads had info from when they talked to Sauder advisors that is normally hard to find. Here is what I remember that seemed helpful from a thread from last year (though none of this I'm 100% sure about, the last time I looked at it was before the application was due and I don't have the best memory):

- Students were accepted with a wide range of grades - a couple of people have said they were accepted even with averages (both core and overall) in the mid-low seventies, but that their supplementals were also really good. My understanding is that this is pretty rare, however.

- Someone said that when they went to spoke to a Sauder advisor, they told them that the importance of the supplemental is affected by how close they are to the average grade. I think (but this could definitely be inaccurate) that the advisor said it was roughly a 3.5 UBC GPA (78%) - so that if you were lower than that, your supplemental would need to make up for it on your supplemental (personal profile) more, and if you were higher than that, you had a little bit of space to not have a perfect supplemental. Point is, a good supplemental or good grades don't cancel each other out - one has to make up for the other depending on how much it's lacking.

- Sauder advisors seems to generally emphasize that the core average (English, Math, Econ) matters considerably more than the overall average.

- Someone said that they partook in a presentation about applying to Sauder and that they were told that the odds of getting into Sauder for 2nd year transfer are roughly 1 in 10, and for 3rd year transfer it's roughly 1 in 5. If you don't get in, there is a good chance you may have still been an above average applicant, so try not to sweat it too much.

- People generally seemed to have better luck getting informative answers to their application questions in-person from Sauder advisors or from the people that answer posts on the UBC Prospective Undergraduates Facebook page's wall.

That's what I know from spending hours plowing through these posts after deciding I wanted to transfer, but again, I encourage anyone who's interested to look over them and verify them personally - and sorry if I got any of that wrong.

It's going to be interesting to see how things change this year with Sauder using UBC's new broad-based admissions system now - usually supplementals haven't been due in until March 15th but I wonder if the fact that they're getting them all ~2 months early will change when most people can expect their answers.

Sorry, long post, I know. I just thought it might be helpful to have that info available here instead of leaving it for people to have to dig up all over again. Good luck everybody!

Wow, thanks so much for the in-depth response! it helps alot.
And I had also kind of done the same by looking through old forums, but its always hard to tell if people are being 100% honest or not on what their grades/ supplemental actually were. So it was good to hear your overall perspective on it.

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@camrk wrote
Okay sweet. Thanks for letting me know.
I had a first semester overall average of 87, and core average of 90... but i really dont know how to judge my supplemental, so i really hope it is good enough to get me in!

Your grades sound amazing; there is usually only a couple of people applying with that high of an average on these threads, so I would guess your chances are pretty good. If you get in early, would you mind posting so the rest of us know they've started making decisions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamteam dreamteam
Yay, there are finally some Sauder transfer students on these forums :)

Anyway, I was on the same boat as you, UBCguy. I spent countless hours looking at over 40+ pages of those Sauder transfer threads from a year or two ago and they really do help.

I'm a third year transfer student (I spent first year in UBC Arts but got rejected because my grades were mediocre.. Around 70% core because I got killed in calculus and it was too late for them to accept my Math course in the summer, in which I got 89% and would have boosted me to a 75% core). Now I'm doing my second year COMM courses at Langara and got an 87% core average first term. I feel like I have a strong personal profile as well with leadership activities (basketball coaching, captain, etc) for 5+ years and counting plus a three year job and program coordinating. Now I'm just working my butt off in second term and hope that I maintain my GPA and/or do even better.

How are your guys' personal profile + experience so far with the transfer?

Good luck everyone :)

PS: I don't think I qualify for early admissions because they need four COMM courses completed first term, and at Langara we need to complete TWO stats courses and ONE math course to obtain credit for the COMM 290 and 291 courses at UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zhuzhuxiao zhuzhuxiao

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk
Yea that was my impression as well...
also, don't know if you have all been following this but just in case you haven't.... http://blogs.ubc.ca/bcomadmissions/ is a blog by one of the admissions people for Sauder, it helps a bit here and there, nothing amazing but at least its something haha.

And yea, once again it will be great to keep each other updated, especially to do with early admission. Any further info I find out about anything to do with transferring l'll post on here as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of okapi okapi
Hey guys,

I'm looking to transfer into third year from Langara. I'm at an 85% average with a pretty strong supplemental. Not sure if it'll cut it this year!

I also thought this might be useful to post:

Langara uses a “letter grade” system on their transcripts. Therefore, UBC will calculate an average from Langara in “letter grade” terms using the GPA scale: A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0, D = 1.0, F = 0.0 We will add 0.33 for a plus ( A+ = 4.33 ) and subtract 0.33 for minus ( B- = 2.67 )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@camrk wrote
Yea that was my impression as well...
also, don't know if you have all been following this but just in case you haven't.... http://blogs.ubc.ca/bcomadmissions/ is a blog by one of the admissions people for Sauder, it helps a bit here and there, nothing amazing but at least its something haha.

And yea, once again it will be great to keep each other updated, especially to do with early admission. Any further info I find out about anything to do with transferring l'll post on here as well.

Thank you a ton for that link! That easily the most helpful thing I've seen on any of these threads. It's relaxing to know where the application process is at from the admissions office itself, so I really appreciate that.

Especially the statistics on how many people applied and how many will be accepted; it looks like all of our odds are improved at getting with the amount of applications they got this year. Apparently 3rd year transfer applications have gone "slightly" down and 2nd year transfer applications have gone down "moderately". Woot!

And I'll try to keep people updated on my status as much as possible as well, especially if there is an important change. As of right now it looks like this (with the date changing every now and then):

Your application is complete and ready for evaluation as of <insert date here>. You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision has been made.

The following documents have been assessed by Admissions staff and will be used in the evaluation of your application to UBC.

And then it doesn't list any documents (and I don't think it should, because I'm a UBC student already).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk
Not that it really makes much of a change, but my status did get updated to this...

"We have now received all of the documentation required to proceed with an evaluation of your application. This can take some time and we thank you for your patience. We will provide you with an update as soon as we can. You can continue to check the status of your application here on the Student Service Centre.

The following documents have been assessed by Admissions staff and will be used in the evaluation of your application to UBC."

Not sure if others already had this or still dont but just thought I should pass it on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@camrk wrote
Not that it really makes much of a change, but my status did get updated to this...

"We have now received all of the documentation required to proceed with an evaluation of your application. This can take some time and we thank you for your patience. We will provide you with an update as soon as we can. You can continue to check the status of your application here on the Student Service Centre.

The following documents have been assessed by Admissions staff and will be used in the evaluation of your application to UBC."

Not sure if others already had this or still dont but just thought I should pass it on.

Yeah, same here, I'm sure it's something everyone has. Probably just means we shouldn't expect an answer anytime soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seigakufuji seigakufuji

@camrk wrote

yepp this is what i got too. im transferring into 2nd yr science from Langara btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@seigakufuji wrote

@camrk wrote

yepp this is what i got too. im transferring into 2nd yr science from Langara btw.

Mine was updated to that last thursday. I find it odd, for previously it was stated that my application is now ready for evaluation and will receive a decision in writing shortly.

Does this means that we passed the ubc admission and is now being reviewed by Sauder?
Also, may I ask as to why all of you decided to transfer? I mean a bcom is a bcom.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@JonathanEtienne wrote

@seigakufuji wrote

@camrk wrote

Mine was updated to that last thursday. I find it odd, for previously it was stated that my application is now ready for evaluation and will receive a decision in writing shortly.

Does this means that we passed the ubc admission and is now being reviewed by Sauder?
Also, may I ask as to why all of you decided to transfer? I mean a bcom is a bcom.

I don't think we could safely assume it means that much based on what little evidence we have - my application switched to it a couple of times, and then back to one that said my application was ready for evaluation and I'd receive a written shortly. The big difference in the statuses is that the old one says we'll know soon and this one implies it's going to take a while, so I guess it'll probably take a while.

I decided to transfer because I feel like I need to be a more flexible person to be successful later in life. I know one of UBC Arts' (my faculty) big talking points is that it produces well-rounded individuals, but there are so many people with BAs that it's difficult to stand out (and I would argue it produces individuals that are great critical thinkers but sometimes lack skills that are crucial to working outside of academia). I love my current major but I feel like I've learnt enough from it, so I want to apply to graduate with it as my minor and General Business Management my specialization.

Why did you decide to transfer? Is it just what you planned to do after CEGEP? (Sorry, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole system, but it's like 2 years of pre-university college in Quebec, right?)

Also, UBC Prospective Undergraduates' Facebook page posted this, but it doesn't have any new info most of you don't likely already have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@camrk wrote
Not that it really

I don't think we could safely assume it means that much based on what little evidence we have - my application switched to it a couple of times, and then back to one that said my application was ready for evaluation and I'd receive a written shortly. The big difference in the statuses is that the old one says we'll know soon and this one implies it's going to take a while, so I guess it'll probably take a while.

I decided to transfer because I feel like I need to be a more flexible person to be successful later in life. I know one of UBC Arts' (my faculty) big talking points is that it produces well-rounded individuals, but there are so many people with BAs that it's difficult to stand out (and I would argue it produces individuals that are great critical thinkers but sometimes lack skills that are crucial to working outside of academia). I love my current major but I feel like I've learnt enough from it, so I want to apply to graduate with it as my minor and General Business Management my specialization.

Why did you decide to transfer? Is it just what you planned to do after CEGEP? (Sorry, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole system, but it's like 2 years of pre-university college in Quebec, right?)

Also, UBC Prospective Undergraduates' Facebook page posted this, but it doesn't have any new info most of you don't likely already have.

Well Cegep is ok but I have problems with it such as course selection (forcing everyone to take boring humanities....social science courses - even 3 gymn courses - to graduate).
Cegep would allow me to get into Mcgill Desautels or HEC. The good thing is that I could go straight to mcgill investment management (3 years) or HEC 3 years since I did a year extra.

Honestly, I don't think mcgill is as strong as it claims to be. Because I was certain I was not going to attend a university in Quebec, i toss the cegep requirements and took courses that I wanted such as international business, international economy, computer enhancement. Kinda more electives for my social science commerce.
Also, I want a degree that combines computer sicence with finance and Sauder seems to do it better than any other Canadian Schools (thought I would need to find a way to integrate finance into my combined major in computer science and business at sauder).

The downside is the cost, mcgill would cost me 1,700$ a year, Sauder will cost 18,000$ a year. If i get refuted at Sauder, I will have to do a year in cegep to make up for the mandatory courses i replace with electives. For cegep students, mcgill require our diploma. Obviously, I chose my course wisely in order to meet Sauder requirements.

Im telling you if I get refuted to Sauder im screwed, cause I was meeting mcgill requirements but I allow my grades to drop to improve my personnal profile (mcgill doesn't care about supplementary info).

I'm a UBCO student, just applied for 2nd year transfer to Sauder with a 92% core average, and I worked really hard on my supplemental. I just read on the BCom Admissions blog that to qualify for early acceptance you need:

To be eligible for early admission consideration, you must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credits by Term 2 including two first year CORE courses (ECON 101, ECON 102, ENGL 112, MATH 104 or equivalents) of which, one MUST be MATH 104.

Which totally screws me over because I've completed both ECON courses and ENGL but MATH is still in progress. I was really hoping to find out whether or not I got in before May 1st because that is the last day for the rez deposit refund.

Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

Direct from the admission

Hi Jonathan,

The Admissions Office has started processing applications.

Where a post-secondary transfer applicant has not completed and / or is not currently registered in the four “must have” courses (Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Differential Calculus and English – University Writing), the Admissions Office will refuse.

This process ensures that those students who have not completed the prerequisites are taken out of the applicant pool yielding a higher chance for someone who has completed the prerequisites.

Thd BCom Double major program in Business and Computer Science is still a Bachelor of Commerce Degree. As such, the admissions decision rests with the Undergraduate Admissions Office and our office here in Sauder. The CPSC Department does not play a role in the admissions decision.

So if its in progress than your good. Nice core average though - did you include commerce course beside economics and math in it? On a side note, my school grading scale is 60% , how will my grades be affected when converted to 50%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alsos alsos
Hi everyone!

EARLY ADMISSION OFFERS HAVE STARTED! Admitted today with 78% core, 77% overall and a ton of UBC involvement and community involvement :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alsos wrote
Hi everyone!

EARLY ADMISSION OFFERS HAVE STARTED! Admitted today with 78% core, 77% overall and a ton of UBC involvement and community involvement :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

congratulation! GOOD job bro. Me its 80% average, 79% core average. When added business courses like intro to business it becomes around 86%.

I have a strong EC, but with few grammatical errors.

What program did you go for (combined or general)?
Did you receive any scholarships?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UBCGuy UBCGuy

@alsos wrote
Hi everyone!

Thank you for the heads up! And congratulations!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of camrk camrk
Congrats!! Thats awesome to hear. Also, thanks for letting us know.
Is it possible for you to call in and see what you got on your supp? .. it would be sweet to know what kind of sup you need to get in with 79%.
Also, can you let us know what they say about your grades being able to drop a little bit/ or not at all...?

Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0