yconic - Sauder, Desautels, Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sauder, Desautels, Schulich

A photo of DreamMaster DreamMaster
Hi guys!

I have been admistted to Suader, Desautels, Schulich, and Rotman

After consideration, I picked Schulich over Rotman.

However, I am still not sure about where i want to go.

I live in B.C. but I would be happy to go to East for education.

What are your thoughts?! on these schools!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of ELubendo ELubendo
I would love to hear your choice after. I am also from BC and I have applied to SFU, UBC, and McGill. I am still waiting on McGill (waiting for Calc mark to self-report) and UBC. For McGill, did you receive a scholarship?

On topic: I think I would pick either McGill over UBC, since you probably won't live on campus at UBC, which is where most of the fun is at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancho dancho

@DreamMaster wrote
Hi guys!

I have been admistted to Suader, Desautels, Schulich, and Rotman

After consideration, I picked Schulich over Rotman.

However, I am still not sure about where i want to go.

I live in B.C. but I would be happy to go to East for education.

What are your thoughts?! on these schools!

YES found my fellow BC PEEPS!

Congrats on your acceptance!
Just wanted to ask your avg for Rotman and mark for eng12 and calc12

If I may dare recommend, Sauder may be one of the best choices out of the schools you have been admitted to. Just throwing it out there~ But if you have more interest in schools in the East, go ahead! Also McGil itself is a great school but it is not too well known for its business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
I am also from BC. I would choose shulich over all of the schools

McGill and Sauders would be tied for second
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
schulich
then sauder + mcgill :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ELubendo ELubendo
If the choice was between Sauder and Desautels, which one would you guys pick and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Okay well that is a tough one :P

McGill:
1. montreal =awesome (plus you get to go away= awesome imo)
2. awesome rep
3. Lost of choice in program> majors minors change it up however you want
4. The program used to be very good (20 yrs ago), but now I think it went down a lot; I think its mcgill rep that holds it up now, not the program itself.
5. I heard from a cousin working high up in an american company, that they hire 2 ivey:1 queens:1 mcgill ratio, for 4 spots)
6. Marks based entrance, nothign else =low requirements imo

Sauder:
1.BC! :D (though for you uts probs no biggie
2. Good program, with coop i believe
3. strong/hard selection process =better people in it
4. Very good rep
5. ..no real bad things for this one :P

But I still don't know which I would choose :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Given where I am, clearly I would choose Schulich. :D If you have any questions about the school, PM and I will answer your questions. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
If you want my opinion…

Career Path:
Finance: McGill
Consulting: Sauder
Marketing: Schulich
Accounting: Schulich

Intangibles:
City/Shopping/Nightlife: McGill
Campus Life & Clubs: UBC
Class size & Facilities: Schulich

Other considerations (for BC residents):
If you love BC (I know I do!) and dread paying thousands in room & board, then choose Sauder. If you're tired of living in BC, and want a new and challenging environment, and you can afford it...then go with either McGill or Schulich.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong with any school...just as long as that school matches your personal preferences, go for it! And don't decide simply by looking at some random MBA rankings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Personally, I'd go with Desautels. But I'm obviously biased because I didn't even apply to the other two :)
All 3 are great schools, although I think Schulich has a slight edge over the others in accounting while Desautels has a slight edge over the others in terms of international recruiting. You still can't go wrong with any of them though :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adrianfkh adrianfkh
Schulich is certainly a great business school with reputation, but I just wanna give some opinion about the comparison between Sauder and McGill. I'm currently a first year at Sauder, so I'm may be biased with Sauder. Yet, I've got my points.

Sauder
- First of all, it's a "Business School" not just a "faculty". That means a lot more resources are put into the school.
- Owns career center exclusively for Sauder students
- Brand new renovated building
- Has the largest undergrad society of its kind in the country with over 1000 students involved = great school involvement opportunities, business conferences, networking sessions, workshops etc
- Great diversity, Sauder has students from almost every part of the world

The list goes on.. if you have any specific questions, feel free to give me a shout! But one thing I just wanna make a stance that Sauder might be in the same tier with Mcgill couple years ago. But now I'm very confident to say that Sauder has passed Mcgill for miles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jason202 Jason202
i would choose

1.schulich
2.mcgil
3.ubc

rotman and mcgil are good universities but their business programs
are not as good as schulich, queens, and ivey in overall aspect.
but it really depends on what field you want to study in business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@adrianfkh wrote
Schulich is certainly a great business school with reputation, but I just wanna give some opinion about the comparison between Sauder and McGill. I'm currently a first year at Sauder, so I'm may be biased with Sauder. Yet, I've got my points.

Sauder
- First of all, it's a "Business School" not just a "faculty". That means a lot more resources are put into the school.
- Has the largest undergrad society of its kind in the country with over 1000 students involved = great school involvement opportunities, business conferences, networking sessions, workshops etc

The list goes on.. if you have any specific questions, feel free to give me a shout! But one thing I just wanna make a stance that Sauder might be in the same tier with Mcgill couple years ago. But now I'm very confident to say that Sauder has passed Mcgill for miles.

Not entirely sure what you mean by resources, but even though management is a faculty at McGill, their MBA program is unregulated by government tuition-wise, which is kind of significant here in Quebec and even caused some controversy.
Our career centre has specialty Bcomm advisors.
Our building is quite nice inside as well, not to mention that our campus in general is beautiful and in the middle of Montreal.
Needless to say, McGill is overflowing with diversity as well. I think about 20% of students are international, and I don't think that includes people who live abroad but have Canadian citizenships.
I can't speak about the size of our undergraduate society but I can say that they throw some amazing events and getting involved is incredibly easy.

I can't directly judge which is better but I just wanted to make it clear that McGill doesn't lack in those things either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@lemony wrote

@adrianfkh wrote

Sauder

Not entirely sure what you mean by resources, but even though management is a faculty at McGill, their MBA program is unregulated by government tuition-wise, which is kind of significant here in Quebec and even caused some controversy.
Our career centre has specialty Bcomm advisors.
Our building is quite nice inside as well, not to mention that our campus in general is beautiful and in the middle of Montreal.
Needless to say, McGill is overflowing with diversity as well. I think about 20% of students are international, and I don't think that includes people who live abroad but have Canadian citizenships.
I can't speak about the size of our undergraduate society but I can say that they throw some amazing events and getting involved is incredibly easy.

I can't directly judge which is better but I just wanted to make it clear that McGill doesn't lack in those things either.

Unrelated to this thread, but are you a McGill BComm student? Do you know of the BSc students can apply to the job postings meant for BComm students (i.e. consulting/banking/trading positions).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Desautels has its own Career portal which only has certain jobs given to Management students only. However there are other banking/consulting jobs out there for other students (BSc, Econ students, etc.)

However, a science student can probably apply to the jobs that are meant specifically for Desautels students as long as they get access to the database (VIA a friend) since since most of the job postings give either contact information or a direct portal.A good junk of jobs come from on campus recruiting though.

Man... procrastination for my Finance final tomorrow has brought me back here lol...
Was this helpful? Yes 0