yconic - Sauder/UBC Acceptance - Mistake?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sauder/UBC Acceptance - Mistake?

A photo of valdore valdore
So...

I just self-reported my marks to UBC last night (I'm from BC, so the self-reporting system just opened). I had, however, submitted by supplemental about a month or so ago.

Today, I logged in and saw a message saying an admissions decision has been made:

Session: 2011 Winter Session
Term:
Degree/Program: Bachelor of Commerce
Admission Area: Undergraduate Admissions
Specialization #1: General Program
Status: Congratulations you have been admitted! You will be receiving a letter from us shortly.
UBC is also pleased to offer you the President's Entrance Scholarship valued at $2500. To ensure that you receive the scholarship, please review the requirements outlined at https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/cdnpes.ezc.

So... I'm a bit hesitant to trust this, because it's so quick. Obviously, I'd be overjoyed if it were true... but how certain can I be that it is? Also, when I go to accept my offer, it doesn't let me after I proceed towards the last step - it gives me some message about financial transfer or whatever it is to do with the deposit not being ready.

Here's the message...

"Your acceptance deposit amount is not ready, please return tomorrow to accept your offer or contact the UBC admissions office including your student number at admissions.inquiry@ubc.ca"

Anyone have some insight into what may be going on?

Also, I was accepted into Commerce... but not Arts. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of GameTime GameTime
Not sure, but sounds as if your in. :)

Mind posting your EC's / Average?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin
congrats! you're lucky you heard back so early. what was your 4 classes avg to get that scholarship?

im still waiting to self report :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of illuminati illuminati
I'd call the admissions office to confirm, but it looks legit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Aren't we supposed to wait for April's report card before reporting?
Are you IB?

I've heard acceptance is immediate after self-reporting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alizarin wrote
Are you IB?

Ya, I don't know a ton about this BC stuff, but I thought you guys had to wait awhile too.

OP, I would suggest taking a few screenshots. If it is in fact a glitch/mistake and you don't get in, then just show them the screenshot and they may be forced to admit you. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@GameTime wrote
Not sure, but sounds as if your in. :)

Mind posting your EC's / Average?

My term 2 grades, since that's what I've been told to self-report, provided me with a four-course average of 98.25%.

As for extra-curricular activities / awards... they're certainly not more than what the majority of others would be applying with.

• 2010-2011 Yearbook Editor-in-Chief; 2009-2010 Layout Editor
• Photography Club Vice-President
• Business Club Member
• Yearly volunteer at a local fair.
• 6 years of piano.
• 2 letters published in the Vancouver Sun.
• Some in-school awards...

There may have been a few other things that I'm forgetting to mention... but to be honest, while I didn't feel that my supplemental was awful by any means, I certainly did not consider it to be anywhere near what would be required for such a fast admittance. Maybe they liked my essays? I did feel pretty good about those overall.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jenyouwin wrote
congrats! you're lucky you heard back so early. what was your 4 classes avg to get that scholarship?

im still waiting to self report :/

As for grades, see my previous post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote
I'd call the admissions office to confirm, but it looks legit.

I'm definitely going to be calling today, as soon as I have the opportunity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alizarin wrote
Are you IB?

I've heard acceptance is immediate after self-reporting.

As for report cards, I'm on a 3-term linear school system. As a result, I got my second term report card earlier this week (I don't get another report card until the end of the year). According to their website, "[use] Your official spring (March or April) report card from your main school of record. For students in a linear school system, this is usually called the “Term 2 report card" and is issued in March." And nope, I'm not IB.

I believe, or had believed, that immediate acceptance is only for Arts or other programs where a supplemental is not necessary.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Alizarin wrote
Are you IB?

Ya, I don't know a ton about this BC stuff, but I thought you guys had to wait awhile too.

OP, I would suggest taking a few screenshots. If it is in fact a glitch/mistake and you don't get in, then just show them the screenshot and they may be forced to admit you. :)

I did, of course, print the pages that show my acceptance. However, I'm inclined to believe that, should they choose to rescind the offer of admission, a screenshot will most likely to do little to convince them to admit me - as nice as it would be if that were the case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@valdore wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Alizarin wrote
Are you IB?

I did, of course, print the pages that show my acceptance. However, I'm inclined to believe that, should they choose to rescind the offer of admission, a screenshot will most likely to do little to convince them to admit me - as nice as it would be if that were the case.

It would be like if you are buying something in a store and it has a sticker on it for the wrong price, they are required to charge you the lower of the two prices since it was a mistake. Or if you are at a hotel and you are charged for watching a movie but in the room information it says free movies they won't charge you because it is their mistake that information should have been changed but wasn't. Etc.

It may not work, but it would certainly improve your chances. But, seeing your marks and ECs, it is likely that you were actually accepted, and if not, you will definitely be accepted at some point. So you need not worry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I posted on their Facebook page last night (for UBC Prospective Undergraduates) since I could not call them at that time.

The response:

"Congratulations! This is a valid offer of admission. Because of the volume of supplemental applications received and the desire to make offers as quickly as possible, many supplemental applications are read before we have received grade information. Once we have that, we can go ahead and make an official offer.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Ella"

And... when I went back in to the Student Service Centre, it let me pay the deposit!

It seems U.B.C. is much more organized this year.

I'm not going to lie, I'm absolutely elated right now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Congrats!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of anonymous1143 anonymous1143

@valdore wrote
I posted on their Facebook page last night (for UBC Prospective Undergraduates) since I could not call them at that time.

The response:

"Congratulations! This is a valid offer of admission. Because of the volume of supplemental applications received and the desire to make offers as quickly as possible, many supplemental applications are read before we have received grade information. Once we have that, we can go ahead and make an official offer.

Thanks,
Ella"

And... when I went back in to the Student Service Centre, it let me pay the deposit!

Hey I was just wondering, when you self report your grades, what does it mean by Challenege Grade??? It asks that question for every single subject you submit...??? thanks in advance :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@anonymous1143 wrote

@valdore wrote

The response:

Thanks,
Ella"

Hey I was just wondering, when you self report your grades, what does it mean by Challenege Grade??? It asks that question for every single subject you submit...??? thanks in advance :D

I spent quite a while trying to understand that, but ultimately made the assumption that it did not apply to me - I put them all as "no."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anonymous1143 anonymous1143

@valdore wrote

@anonymous1143 wrote

@valdore wrote

The response:

Thanks,
Ella"

I spent quite a while trying to understand that, but ultimately made the assumption that it did not apply to me - I put them all as "no."

So you got accepted literally the day after you self reported your grades??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@anonymous1143 wrote

@valdore wrote

@anonymous1143 wrote

@valdore wrote

The response:

Thanks,
Ella"

So you got accepted literally the day after you self reported your grades??

Less than 24 hours, I believe. =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Congrats man! xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote
Congrats!

/

@imsyed wrote
Congrats man! xD

Thanks & thanks! I appreciate it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sstar Sstar
Congratulations ;)

Do you remember when you submitted your supplemental application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sstar wrote
Congratulations ;)

Do you remember when you submitted your supplemental application?

Probably around mid-February. I remember planning that I would submit it a month before the due-date... so Feb. 15th should be about right.

The welcome package (letter of acceptance) came yesterday. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0