yconic - Sauder/UBC VS. York/Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sauder/UBC VS. York/Schulich

A photo of mbstudent mbstudent
hey guys
i got accepted to busines admin and comp sci double major in ubc/ sauder school of business and applied for iBBA in Schulich and waiting for their decision....

if i get accepted into both programs which one is better/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Schulich for accounting and marketing.
Sauder for investment banking and consulting.

Btw, UBC's PMF annual report just came out today.
Link: 2011 PMF Annual Report
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
^If it's the Schulich iBBA 'mbstudent' is applying to, the accounting at Schulich will be no use because the iBBA course structure is different so you won't be able to finish your required 51 credits for pursuing a CA. If you want to go Schulich for accounting I suggest switching to the BBA. Yeah accounting and marketing are Schulich's strengths but also consulting to a lesser extent, some iBBA students end up at BCG and Mckin.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
Personally i think UBC has the reputable advantage because as people on this forum have engraved into my mind, Schulich is overrated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
People on this forum just like hear some cocky Queen's students say something about Schulich and everyone thinks that Schulich is overrated. How about doing some of the research by yourself? lol I think Schulich is climbing the ranks really fast, compared to Ivey and Queen's, Schulich is relatively pretty new and it has already managed to be #1 in Canada in WSJ, The Economist and Forbes rankings. Also ranked 10th in the world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary

@lmao wrote
People on this forum just like hear some cocky Queen's students say something about Schulich and everyone thinks that Schulich is overrated. How about doing some of the research by yourself? lol I think Schulich is climbing the ranks really fast, compared to Ivey and Queen's, Schulich is relatively pretty new and it has already managed to be #1 in Canada in WSJ, The Economist and Forbes rankings. Also ranked 10th in the world.

+100002751893949161418394619402416293715139408161629201771128292030381711830472652384889123456789
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati

@lmao wrote

I'm fully aware of the MBA rankings and where Schulich stands. Sure, Schulich is a great school in many respects, but I'm more concerned about other things that the rankings don't reflect. Nothing against those that go to Schulich or plan on going there, but I just don't feel the love.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@lmao wrote

And there are magazines that place Queen's first, some that place Ivey first. Point being, forget magazines and other rankings (especially when it's an MBA ranking) and research specifics (ie. is it a target school?).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of analyst analyst
You guys forgot to mention eduniversal ranking where Schulich placed out of the top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote
Btw, UBC's PMF annual report just came out today.
Link: 2011 PMF Annual Report

Omg, thx a million!! was wondering when it'd come out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao

@IanSharer wrote

@lmao wrote

And there are magazines that place Queen's first, some that place Ivey first. Point being, forget magazines and other rankings (especially when it's an MBA ranking) and research specifics (ie. is it a target school?).

Yeah but those magazines are probably no name. What's bigger, reputable and more credible than those three rankings? When I came on this forum and everyone bashed Schulich, I just went along with it.. but after I got in and did some research it's a pretty amazing program. There are some downsides like "it's york" and the area isn't the best but after looking at the program it has the greatest ROI based on what you pay, lol it's ROI is ranked 6th in the world as well xD .. but yeah my point being.. don't just follow along with what people say on here behind a computer screen go out and see for yourself. If I don't get to go McGill or Queen's, I'll go Schulich for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@lmao wrote
Yeah but those magazines are probably no name. What's bigger, reputable and more credible than those three rankings? When I came on this forum and everyone bashed Schulich, I just went along with it.. but after I got in and did some research it's a pretty amazing program. There are some downsides like "it's york" and the area isn't the best but after looking at the program it has the greatest ROI based on what you pay, lol it's ROI is ranked 6th in the world as well xD .. but yeah my point being.. don't just follow along with what people say on here behind a computer screen go out and see for yourself. If I don't get to go McGill or Queen's, I'll go Schulich for sure.

Believe me, I'm not basing my opinion on other grade 12s. I've talked to current Schulich and Queen's students, as well as individuals from other sites (such as WallStreetOasis).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
^ That's great and hopefully others will too.

Anyways my answer to OP's question is it's also based on where you live? Cost should be a factor. I would say choose Schulich in general but if you are confident that you'll get into PMF at UBC then go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15
Really? You make your education decision based on ROI? Hahahaha!

Please learn the concept of NPV before you try to sound smart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
lol dude^, your not even in Ivey yet stfu
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15

@lmao wrote
lol dude^, your not even in Ivey yet stfu

who say's im a dude. your arguments just collapse upon itself simply due to the fact that they are baseless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^To lmao, I dunno man. The more I research about Sauder the more I think they're a attractive choice even if I don't have a shot in getting into the PMF program.
http://nibc.ubcfinanceclub.com/about/team
Some of the placements make me feel like they're major sleepers.
Two of the top organizers of the NIBC getting FT offers from Citibank NY and Merrill Lynch! One went to UBS London after grad and is now an associate at TD Securities. Some other eye-popping stuff like HSBC S&T, KPMG M&A, etc. Keep in mind, none are members of the PMF program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15

@analyst wrote
^To lmao, I dunno man. The more I research about Sauder the more I think they're a attractive choice even if I don't have a shot in getting into the PMF program.
Two of the top organizers of the NIBC getting FT offers from Citibank NY and Merrill Lynch! One went to UBS London after grad and is now an associate at TD Securities. Some other eye-popping stuff like HSBC S&T, KPMG M&A, etc. Keep in mind, none are members of the PMF program.

That's NOTHING compared to how much Ivey places in investment banking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ivey15 wrote

@analyst wrote

He never asked for information about Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
^lollllllllll someone's a little mad. Just chill this is a forum, you'll probably never meet in real life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
UBC -
A lot of asians (go there if you like asian girls + dim sum)
Pretty solid program, I heard they get recruited by West Cost BBs (Barcap LA/UBS LA etc.)
VANCOUVER! Great place to live, not much snow

Schulich -
York has decent chicks
Good program, good recruiting in GTA, Canadian BB recruitment is solid
Toronto :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@ivey15 wrote

@analyst wrote

What's up with you and Ivey? The school isn't what you're trying to make it out to be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
He didn't get into a US target and wants to go to the next best thing, a Canadian 1.5 target school.

I think Ivey placed some into GS IBD, one into GS M&A, one in MS back office, 3 into Barcap LA PWM?

about all I know - not very impressive tbh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0