yconic - Save early!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Save early!

A photo of annetted annetted
A lot of people will tell themselves "I have lots of time, I'll save up my next paycheck".

But it's more efficient to look at it as "if I save now, that's even MORE money I'll have when I actually need it". Whether this was buying a used hockey stick, or game from a friend, or putting birthday money in the bank from a birthday, it all adds up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Save $20 from each paycheck from now until you're 50 and you'll have tons of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@powriest wrote
Save $20 from each paycheck from now until you're 50 and you'll have tons of money.

That's a wonderful way to plan for retirement!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rachel10751 Rachel10751
While you are still in high school, save 65% of your paycheck and either invest it or put it into a high interest savings account. Your money makes money!:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kevinlee1759 kevinlee1759
I agree, it's better to start saving earlier so that you won't need to worry so much about money in the future. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of skinneg4 skinneg4
I've been saving every penny I've earned since the beginning of last year and so far I have 2000 dollars. I really have no time to work because I take dance every day, so I got a job at the dance school teaching a few classes a week. I only teach 3 a week, but I get payed 18$/hr and so i get over 200 a month. it's a really great job for my lifestyle right now. The only problem I have is that I'm still not going to make enough to not have to a have student loan since im leaving home next year and need to pay for living expenses. My parents are paying for tuition, but I only have enough money saved for like 2 months of living. Are student loans a good option? are they hard to get?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also these essay scholarships are a lot of work and time, are they really worth it if I only get $500 for school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is there anyone else planning to move out for post-secondary schooling? I'd like some advice on living and what kinds of lobs are good to get for a busy student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm also planning to go to a school for dance, would there be any job opportunities for an aspiring artist that would also work with my schedule? Also the extra costs for dance items, plus books will kill me. How does one afford to live as an artist these days?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

one more question. are jobs hard to get when moving to a new province becaues i plan on depending on this to stay in my apartment when i move out. :scratch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of breanneeagnew breanneeagnew

@skinneg4 wrote
Also these essay scholarships are a lot of work and time, are they really worth it if I only get $500 for school?

a $500 scholarship for an hour of work? thats better than any job I know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lscissons lscissons
every bit of money helps,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lscissons lscissons
For sure, I have been putting away money since I had any type of job, my hope is to be able to graduate and not owe money, with thanks to my savings and my parents:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bookwormsupreme bookwormsupreme
i figure that if i spend a couple hours on an essay and get paid 500 for it i'm doing pretty well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you know how to properly go about writing an essay on a schedule, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours. That means that $500 for the essay is well worth it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smilez39 smilez39
:cheers: i found the easiest way to scrap and save for school or anything was to sit down a write out a budget. sometimes it may not seem worthwhile sticking too but in the end .you come out far better then you started
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amalik Amalik
Save half, spend half :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CALVING CALVING
Saving is important it lets you fall back on it when times are ruff.
Start with a saving mechanism. :bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laurelwoods94 laurelwoods94
i totally agree. if you don't start saving its called procrastinating... and by the time you actually nneed the money, it won't be there because you'll "save it tomorrow"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jray20 Jray20
I say save money as soon as you reach the realization of what it actually is. Although, an understanding of what is it used for would be nice to. I have been working since I was 12, and I had too much independence. Not realizing that money was so important until it was too late. I now make sure my sister does not make the same mistakes I have made, that is to save your money as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am not in the worst scenario out there, but thinking back; if I had saved a percentage of all the pay checks I had earned I would be way more well off than I am now.

"success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jray20 Jray20
I say save money as soon as you reach the realization of what it actually is. Although, an understanding of what is it used for would be nice to. I have been working since I was 12, and I had too much independence. Not realizing that money was so important until it was too late. I now make sure my sister does not make the same mistakes I have made, that is to save your money as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am not in the worst scenario out there, but thinking back; if I had saved a percentage of all the pay checks I had earned I would be way more well off than I am now.

"success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Saving, even if its a little at a time or a lot, is ALWAYS a GOOD idea. I recently lost my almost full time job, but have been able to support myself easily for the past couple of months because of what I had saved from my previous job. It's taught me a great lesson, the money you are saving that you don't think you'll need... you'll need. And you'll be happy when you need it and it's there! A little goes a longgg way when it comes to saving your money!
Was this helpful? Yes 0