yconic - SBI4U (Grade 12 Biology Discussions)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

SBI4U (Grade 12 Biology Discussions)

A photo of brady23 brady23
This is a thread for the discussion about grade 11/12 biology(AP and Non AP). General discussions about the course, specific questions, studying guides, strategies etc can all be posted here.

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for Grade 12:
1. Biochemistry and cellular biology
2. Energy and metabolism
3. Molecular genetics
4. Homeostasis
5. Population dynamics/ecology

For those who finished, which unit do you think is the easiest? hardest?
How does grade 11 compare to grade 12? general comments?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

I have this next semester, but my classmates tell me that Biochemistry is extremely hard because of all the memorizing of functional groups and the making connections part of the test was a killer!

I can't imagine how previous year's classes had Biochemistry combined with Cellular Respiration in one unit, instead of split into two like we do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sura94 Sura94
I'm currently taking this course, we've done Biochemistry and Metabolic Processes so far. Biochemistry was extremely easy. Metabolic Processes had way more memorization due to the different stages of both cellular respiration and photosynthesis. We just started Molecular Genetics and it seems like it's going to be much harder than the first two units. But I hear Homeostasis is the hardest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of charlotteliza charlotteliza
Biochemistry was easy but I'm a bit worried about metabolic processes. My teacher might make us memorize the whole Krebs Cycle. =S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of PIMJAA PIMJAA
Grade 11 to 12 was a HUGE jump.
Finished biochem. I thought it was really bad but the result turned out fine. My class avg was 76% (which is pretty decent considering a full class). Sad thing is the highest avg was 88. Nobody hit the 90s in all 4 classes of SBI4U.

We're on Metabolic processes right now. A quiz is coming up next Thursday and I'm so nervous. 50 marks is not a quiz, Miss. //criesss
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Having to memorize the sequence of intermediates in cellular respiration and photosynthesis is so stupid; I still can't believe that teachers make their students do it. Such a waste of time, but you do get left with an appreciation of the complexity. I'd rather just be told that they are long, complex processes though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Hate the fact that my school only offers AP Bio... :( SMH
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoorKnob22 DoorKnob22
Heard it's this nasty because someone apparently decided to shove one of the easy units in bio 12 into bio 11 and one of the hard units that was was originally in bio 11 into bio 12.

So how vital was 11 chem to 12 bio?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of willeh willeh
Any1 already written the genetics unit test wanna share the long answer/application questions? (or any questions that you found hard) I have my test on Thursday, gonna try to get a 98% on this. (I'm not considering 100% because my teacher always takes off 1 to 2 marks on communication)

And to answer the poster above, as long as you know the polar/non-polar molecules and their properties, you'll be fine. It would help to have some knowledge on organic chem and functional groups too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmarts jmarts
Hi All.
I have my first test on biochemistry and cells on friday and really need to do well in this course.
I was hoping someone could give me some questions they found difficult about this unit.
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac
I actually really enjoyed the biochemistry section, cell respiration and all. Memorizing the metabolic processes was strangely fun and not that difficult.
I learned the biochem section in Gr 11; at that point I wasn't thinking of continuing in the sciences at all, but biochemistry/metabolic processes changed my mind! If you took grade 12 chemistry, some of biochem and metabolic processes should be familiar, such as functional groups and even Gibbs.

What I found difficult were the diagrams in homeostasis. There were a lot.

Also, when you add all the content together and are studying for final exams, it seems really overwhelming! But what I learned from bio was that my brain could fit a lot more info than I thought, :D

I wish I could help more, but I don't remember much about what was on the test. Need to start reviewing my biology again... The point of my post was basically what I underlined. Don't be overwhelmed, just study and have fun. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meine Meine

@DoorKnob22 wrote
Heard it's this nasty because someone apparently decided to shove one of the easy units in bio 12 into bio 11 and one of the hard units that was was originally in bio 11 into bio 12.

So how vital was 11 chem to 12 bio?

Grade 11 chem would be useful, but grade 12 chem would help even more because the first bio unit touches upon the VESPR theory and functional groups which helps determine how certain compounds would react.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ally55 Ally55
The first unit of SBI4U I found really easy, functional groups requires easy memorization and drawing glucose structures became really easy just from repitive drawing. Metabolic process were alright as well. The harder units are the ones with cellular respiration, photosynthesis and then the nervous system got a little confusing. For me, I am good at visualizing these processes deep in the cells so I didn't have a problem with the course, except memorizing glycolysis,Krebs, ETC, photosynthetic respiration. Luckily I had a crib sheet for the exam and got 89% on my exam!

Overall I found SBI4U really interesting more so than SBI3U, because I now have greater knowledge of molecular processes that happen in the body, causing extremely nerdy comments at the dinner table. lol I love feeling smart!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gilby Gilby
Been through two units of bio (not Ap) and I Haven't lost a mark yet, literally. The units have been biochem and molecular genetics. Way easier than grade 11 and I showed up a week late from vacation in biochem. And I haven't even taken grade 11 chem yet. So idk if I just have an easy teacher, which I don't think so lol I'm kinda nervous for metabolic processes though :/ someone wanna give me some test question examples for their hard biochem and genetics tests aha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

We just finished Biochemistry. I have to say I actually liked that unit. Maybe because I had chemistry last semester, but there was a lot less content to know, and it was more about understanding.

I found that you can only study up to a certain point, and when you reach that point, it's all about your teacher that determines your mark and the questions they ask.

For example, to me the second semester biology test was way easier than the first semester biology test, even though they are of equal difficulty. I would've probably gotten 5% less if I wrote the first semester test.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I'm studying for my IB Bio mock exam right now haha. 52 pages of fairly concise notes and I'm not even half way through the curriculum fml
Was this helpful? Yes 0