yconic - Scared out of my mind... MY FUTURE IS ON THE LINE!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Scared out of my mind... MY FUTURE IS ON THE LINE!

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Okay so I'm gonna straight up with this, I come from a low-middle class family. Father struggles to bring in enough money sometimes even for food. I'm not exaggerating...
The only reason I mentioned that is because I want everyone to be honest and not screw me up intentionally...

I'm going to be on OSAP support while attending university and really want to know which university should I go to because I want to get into medical school to change my family's circumstances. I am scared out of my mind to go to UofT SG, all these people I know say "OMG THEY DESIGN THE EXAMS TO SCREW YOU UP, OMG THIS , OMG THAT"
Like what do I do... Is it really that difficult? I won't lie, I'm a student who can study minimally, like the night before, and still ace the test with an 80-85. I'm sure if I start working hard (which I am doing now so that in semester 2 I can establish good habits for university), I can get 95s (as I do in math by studying harder). Is it really that difficult? If so, why is it so difficult?

Here are my options:

Brock Biomedical Sciences
UoGuelph Biomedical Sciences
uOttawa Biomedical Sciences
Western Biological and Biomedical Sciencse
York Biomedical Sciences
UofT SG LIfe Sciences

Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Go to whatever school gives you the most scholarship money and costs you the least. Reputation doesn't matter, getting out of school with as little debt possible is most important.

Other than that I think you've posted this same freak out post about 10 times and don't listen to a word we say. So whatever. How about I say "YES UNIVERSITY IS THE HARDEST THING EVER I BARELY EVEN PASSED".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Well in response to ktel, a lot of prospective "pre-meds" usually feel that going to a less reputable school will jeopardize their chances of getting into medical school because they listen too much to what others have to say as opposed to what the realistic truth is.

I applied to certain schools because of reputation, but mainly cause I factored in the overall environment that I'd be spending my undergrad in.

Now in response to OP.

It really ticks me off about all these kids who supposedly want to be Medical Physicians and think "oh well I'm getting high 80s in high school" okay that's great, but you kids, wait I'm still only 18 Haha, you students I should say. Have to stop asking "What University will give me the best chance for medical school", "Why is U of T so difficult"...

Here's what I'll say, we aren't here to decide your academic future nor give you the answers to everything.

How about this?

Go to Brock University, they'll provide you with the best GPA! I promise.

Now you probably don't like my answer right? That's why you decide your future!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ayahherhtiger ayahherhtiger
I really hink you should go to where ever you please, it's not always about the best school or not it's the fact that you did someting with your life other than nothing. There are a lot of great colleges out there so get the one that gives you the most scholarships. If you have great marks than you should easily be able to get in where ever you want, so good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@BrunoMars wrote

I won't lie, I'm a student who can study minimally, like the night before, and still ace the test with an 80-85. I'm sure if I start working hard (which I am doing now so that in semester 2 I can establish good habits for university), I can get 95s (as I do in math by studying harder). Is it really that difficult? If so, why is it so difficult?

Maybe it came across wrong to me, but I don't think that's anything special. Nearly half my school (and more than half my school in past years) have >80% averages... its not really that big of a deal to be able to do well in school without hardcore studying. Hell, a ton of people with mid-90s in my school are probably no more intelligent than most people I know. Not saying you aren't intelligent or anything, I really don't know, but isn't it a tad bit risky relying on getting into medical school to solve your family's problems? I mean, its ridiculously competitive. A cousin of mine went to UTSG, cruising by with 90s in high school and couldn't even graduate with a major. He told me he couldn't even manage to get 20% on some of the first tests he had. Some lifesci students I know with stellar GPAs and decent ECs aren't even confident in getting into med in Canada, they're submitting a bunch to the states. Maybe I'm just misinformed, but I'm personally just really iffy about trying for med school... one amongst the many reasons why I never took biology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@BrunoMars wrote

I won't lie, I'm a student who can study minimally, like the night before, and still ace the test with an 80-85. I'm sure if I start working hard (which I am doing now so that in semester 2 I can establish good habits for university), I can get 95s (as I do in math by studying harder). Is it really that difficult? If so, why is it so difficult?

Maybe it came across wrong to me, but I don't think that's anything special. Nearly half my school (and more than half my school in past years) have >80% averages... its not really that big of a deal to be able to do well in school without hardcore studying. Hell, a ton of people with mid-90s in my school are probably no more intelligent than most people I know. Not saying you aren't intelligent or anything, I really don't know, but isn't it a tad bit risky relying on getting into medical school to solve your family's problems? I mean, its ridiculously competitive. A cousin of mine went to UTSG, cruising by with 90s in high school and couldn't even graduate with a major. He told me he couldn't even manage to get 20% on some of the first tests he had. Some lifesci students I know with stellar GPAs and decent ECs aren't even confident in getting into med in Canada, they're submitting a bunch to the states. Maybe I'm just misinformed, but I'm personally just really iffy about trying for med school... one amongst the many reasons why I never took biology.

Medical School as an only goal is not a good thing at all.

Nothing really promises you into an MD program, GPA is GPA. If you make it to the stage where you are invited for an interview for Med School and they ask "Why do you want to be a doctor" and you say "To improve my family's financial income and living circumstances", they'll just say "next".

In response to OP's post, if he/she is really wants to improve their family's financial/living circumstances they should just go onto a professional program like nursing, you go to school for 4 years and you come out with a decent paying salary. Going into the dark with a Life Science degree won't get you anywhere if you don't intend on doing schooling other then your typical Med, Pharmacy, Opto, Dentistry...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@jelly wrote
Maybe it came across wrong to me, but I don't think that's anything special. Nearly half my school (and more than half my school in past years) have >80% averages...

cough*inflation*cough

OP, stop worrying
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thecookiemonster wrote

@jelly wrote
Maybe it came across wrong to me, but I don't think that's anything special. Nearly half my school (and more than half my school in past years) have >80% averages...

cough*inflation*cough

OP, stop worrying

True fact, my friends graduating class in High School mostly consisted of Honours students with their 80%+ averages and some even in the 90s.

Here's the thing, when they got to University of Toronto (Mississauga) campus, some failed courses, some dropped them, some got 60s in them. I don't know how much times I need to say this but your high school performance isn't a big deal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@Medic93 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@jelly wrote

cough*inflation*cough

OP, stop worrying

True fact, my friends graduating class in High School mostly consisted of Honours students with their 80%+ averages and some even in the 90s.

Here's the thing, when they got to University of Toronto (Mississauga) campus, some failed courses, some dropped them, some got 60s in them. I don't know how much times I need to say this but your high school performance isn't a big deal.

I barely got into Laurier with mid-high 80s, and thought I was going to have to go to Nipissing. Now i have a higher average in uni than i did in high school lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thecookiemonster wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@jelly wrote

cough*inflation*cough

OP, stop worrying

I barely got into Laurier with mid-high 80s, and thought I was going to have to go to Nipissing. Now i have a higher average in uni than i did in high school lol

It's a different experience for everyone really.

Some people had to try in High School to get their 85% and some people didn't but those who tried have probably developed some good study habits and are willing to sit down, focus, and review material.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@thecookiemonster wrote

@jelly wrote

cough*inflation*cough

OP, stop worrying

Not exactly. There is a possibility, but the class with >50% on honour roll was, I believe, the highest scoring EQAO class in the province back in grade 9. My school just tends to have a ton of keeners and people who highly value post-secondary education. Even those with 50s-60s in previous years really work hard to do as well as they can. Hell, I went to the school because my parents thought its ranking would allow me to succeed in university when I graduated. Really though, doing well in high school is pretty much a joke, it doesn't take any real grade inflation for a lot of people to be doing well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
I think you should take that effort you put into stressing yourself out and redirect it towards studying to get 95s and not 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Why are you even considering U of T if you're so scared of it? One of the main reasons I didn't choose U of T (I was accepted) was because of the rumour that it's difficult to get good marks there. It didn't wow me when I visited, I'm not from Toronto, and I didn't care to find out if the difficult marking rumour was true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 1stclass 1stclass

@BrunoMars wrote
I won't lie, I'm a student who can study minimally, like the night before, and still ace the test with an 80-85.

You must think you are smart, but I'm sorry, a lot of people can do it.

If you don't study at all (not even the night before) and pull 90s, fine, you might just be a quick learner and I'll give you that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@1stclass wrote

@BrunoMars wrote
I won't lie, I'm a student who can study minimally, like the night before, and still ace the test with an 80-85.

If you don't study at all (not even the night before) and pull 90s, fine, you might just be a quick learner and I'll give you that.

Thissssssssssssss
Also, 80-85 really is not that special. Yes, it's not bad at all, but if medical school is your main goal, you realize you will be competing with hundreds, maybe thousands of people who "ace" (95+) their tests. It doesn't matter if they study or not, the point is they did better than you did, so maybe it's time you start to do better than them instead of worrying on a random internet forum about your future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of summergirl01 summergirl01

@iliketurtles wrote

@1stclass wrote

@BrunoMars wrote

Thissssssssssssss
Also, 80-85 really is not that special. Yes, it's not bad at all, but if medical school is your main goal, you realize you will be competing with hundreds, maybe thousands of people who "ace" (95+) their tests. It doesn't matter if they study or not, the point is they did better than you did, so maybe it's time you start to do better than them instead of worrying on a random internet forum about your future.

As a third year UTSG life science student (yes, I also want to apply to medical school), I completely agree with this person. If you think 80-85 in highschool is close to being good for medical school, you are in for a big reality check regardless of where you go for university. Highschool mark is extremely minimally correlated with your university performance. Most people go down, but some people go up, depending on the situation. What you really have to decide is whether you ONLY want to go to medical school or is it just one of your options? If you only want to go to medical school, then your undergrad school doesn't REALLY matter (still matters to an extent), but if you are also considering other options, then go for the school with the highest prestige, because then no place will close their doors in your face because they look down at your school. The reality is, you can never be sure that you are going to be accepted into medical school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@BrunoMars wrote

This has probably been said so many times, but medical school looks for people who do not leave their studying to the last minute. You have to be prepared at all times, especially for a career in medicine.

Plus if you are getting 80's in secondary school, you are bound to get lower in university. A's and B's aren't given out that easily.

I have seen some of your past posts, and to be honest, I can tell that you really do not want a career like this. I mean, I am not denying that you are interested in studying medicine, it's just that I feel like you are lacking the genuine "I live for a career like this" feeling. You said that you were interested in aerospace engingeering, and I think aerospace seems like something you would be happy to wake up every morning to, you know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of salimush salimush
KK I was honestly in the same situation as you. I wanted to go to Uoft but the horror stories were the only thing holding me back. Honestly i talked to my chem teacher who majored in Chem and Bio at Uoft Life Sci and she said its more the level of comepetition than the actual content being a challenge.

She said the content you acquire is the same as at Uoft than at any other university. Its more the level of competition because i mean think of it like this, you may be smart but you are surrounded by people who specifically go to Uoft because they also think they are the smartest, right. So really its more the level of competition.

Also Uoft has a very high acceptance rate, don't quote me on this but ive heard its as high as 80%. So the high raio of students to teacher may be a problem. And you also can't forget that the transition between high school to university is difficult, maybe thats why alot of kids don't do well first year.

But honestly my teacher said as long as you keep up with readings and the workload, i think you'll be fine. I was in your position but ive decided ill just go when accepted and find the level of difficulty for myself. Good Luck :)

Psychology Neuroscience (Life Science) UofT St George University
Psychology Neuroscience (Life Science) McMaster University
Psychology (BSc) York University
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know for a fact that 80-85% won't do me justice for medical school (well UBC wants 80+ for out of BC applicants - BUT THAT'S BEYOND THE POINT). I'm not saying I'm smart because I can land 80s-85s without studying... WHAT I AM SAYING is that if I can do this much without studying, then I'm certain that with studying I can do more (which I am doing now by building better habits and better studying methods - for semester 2 and beyond!)

As far as UofT SG goes, I heard from some students that they scored very low, despite the fact that they worked very hard - it's just that the test questions are insanelt difficult (apparntly some of them are designed for only 10/1500 to get!! - they are also worth 8%!!)

I don't know who to believe or what to do... I have like 500 different conflicting statements - yes it is difficult - no if you try - yes - no - yes - no ...................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I also am interested in studying aerospace engineering, but someone told me that I would be a mechanic for a good 5-10 years - and I am NOT a mechanic. I can do the designing and the theoritical work, but going around with a wrench and fixing a bolt... I cannot, and don't know how to (at least effectively) do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
ehh you might want a back up plan

my friend had 95 avg with AP sciences in grade 12, and didnt make it to medical school

Also if you get into medical school, how do you plan to pay for it? It is very expensive. Nevermind helping your family out financially. Not sure setting dead on medicine is the best choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@Jack555 wrote

Also if you get into medical school, how do you plan to pay for it? It is very expensive. Nevermind helping your family out financially. Not sure setting dead on medicine is the best choice.

This was my point on the other thread!
Med school can put you in 6-figures of debt and you won't even be making those 6-figures until maybe 2-5 years out of med school depending on your specialty. Becoming a doctor to help your family out financial might backfire and might not be worth it until you're into your 30's. It's just something to consider.
Also, I don't know where you got the idea you'd be a mechanic for 5-10 years if you become an engineer? This might not always be true, but almost all my family members who graduated to become engineers worked in design :/ Granted, none of them were aerospace engineers so I guess it could be different, but I find it hard to believe that someone with a master's or even undergrad in engineering ends up being a mechanic...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have the money arranged (a richer family member plans on paying it and I will repay the loans over a time period of 10 years). I'm 99% certain I'm going to stick with my plan for medicine, but my concern is UofT SG. My parents won't leave me the f*ck alone and keep saying "go there, it's reputation is high, blablabla"

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
This whole poor family thing is bogus. Now that you are adding in the 'rich relative' story I don't buy it.

If money is such a critical issue, and so are grades, you should look at going to the nearest two year college that has transfer programs to the university you would like to attend.

It is hard for students to compare their abilities in highschool with the difficulty of university, because students do not usually know how challenging (or grade inflated) their highschool is. Also, if you have never had to actually study much before, learning how to study to be competitive in university can take awhile. This is why most students experience a significant drop in their grades (a recent study showed that alberta students experience an average 6.5% drop in grades....for other provinces its as much as 19%).

UofTSG is known for not having grade inflation. You might want to try a smaller school where the odds of the necessary average is much easier to come by.

There are lots of careers that pay well that do not require going to medical school. You might want to look into those so that you have a back up plan. Also keep in mind that medical school is VERY expensive and it can take many years to pay off and you will need to account for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Academentia wrote
This whole poor family thing is bogus. Now that you are adding in the 'rich relative' story I don't buy it.

It is pretty common in South Asian families to have atleast one rich relative that will not think for a second to help you, especially when it comes to education !!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@Academentia wrote

I would laugh if Brunomars was a troll this whole time, creating many threads and catching our attention to give out advice for him. AHAHA whether he is a troll or not, he is pretty much the most popular guy at the studentawards forumn right now LOLLOLOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0