yconic - scene at waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

scene at waterloo

A photo of unknown1914 unknown1914
i want to do the accounting program at waterloo, i have the marks i just dont know if ill like it there.

any opinions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
If you want to live on a campus that smells like sewage and has SC2 lan parties every Friday then this school is for you.

And no, I'm not joking at all.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Zarathustra wrote
If you want to live on a campus that smells like sewage and has SC2 lan parties every Friday then this school is for you.

And no, I'm not joking at all.

Yes you are joking. It does not smell like sewage. Yes there are lan parties. Doesn't mean you have to be involved in them. The majority of people do like to enjoy themselves on Friday night.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unknown1914 unknown1914
i heard its not great, what is a sc2 or lan party?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
I heard its 80% guys... although with your accounting designation picking up chicks shouldnt be a problem
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of salazar salazar

@unknown1914 wrote
i heard its not great, what is a sc2 or lan party?

If you don't know what either is you probably wont fit in at UW
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
sc2 = star craft 2?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
whats an ian party?

Anyways I went to Waterloo this weekend to write the exam.. and I honestly hated the campus. I could not see myself there, I felt like I wasted my $115 bucks.. wait no I did. Like not like I have anything against asians, two of my best friends are asian but that place is just TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO asian like holy. And when I was trying to talk to the PA students.. they couldn't even communicate properly..and yeah I just hated it. Then also Waterloo as a city just seemed so boring.. someone on this forum told me that there was some event going on or something but still what is there to do at Waterloo??

The only thing I like about the place was the SAF building. I even liked York's campus better, and the Schulich building was pretty sweet. But you can't beat Ivey :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@CityBoy wrote
whats an ian party?

Anyways I went to Waterloo this weekend to write the exam.. and I honestly hated the campus. I could not see myself there, I felt like I wasted my $115 bucks.. wait no I did. Like not like I have anything against asians, two of my best friends are asian but that place is just TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO asian like holy. And when I was trying to talk to the PA students.. they couldn't even communicate properly..and yeah I just hated it. Then also Waterloo as a city just seemed so boring.. someone on this forum told me that there was some event going on or something but still what is there to do at Waterloo??

The only thing I like about the place was the SAF building. I even liked York's campus better, and the Schulich building was pretty sweet. But you can't beat Ivey :)

$115? I only paid $75.

Event... probably the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival? 80,000 people showed up, most of them from Waterloo. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper from Waterloo to Elmira I'm told- all day long.

It seemed pretty quiet around the campus and University area. Usually it's pretty lively, lots of Laurier/Waterloo students walking down the street, getting something to eat, shopping, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@g93 wrote

@CityBoy wrote
whats an ian party?

$115? I only paid $75.

Event... probably the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival? 80,000 people showed up, most of them from Waterloo. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper from Waterloo to Elmira I'm told- all day long.

It seemed pretty quiet around the campus and University area. Usually it's pretty lively, lots of Laurier/Waterloo students walking down the street, getting something to eat, shopping, etc.

Lots of hot Laurier girls walking down the street.... spring/summer is the best time, for obvious reasons
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
With all honesty, the AFM building, the classrooms, and the furniture are pretty dang amazing. If one is spending four years somewhere, the surrounding and the available facilities would definitely make a difference. But this is not why one should base their decision obviously.

As for the actual environment is concerned, there are too many Asians and just like you, it makes me wonder if I'd be able to fit in. During AFMAA event, I found the students very friendly and easy to approach though.

So yeah, kinda in the same boat as others...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote
With all honesty, the AFM building, the classrooms, and the furniture are pretty dang amazing. If one is spending four years somewhere, the surrounding and the available facilities would definitely make a difference. But this is not why one should base their decision obviously.

As for the actual environment is concerned, there are too many Asians and just like you, it makes me wonder if I'd be able to fit in. During AFMAA event, I found the students very friendly and easy to approach though.

+ 1

I'm less worried about the atmosphere, because I know what the area is normally like, but am really concerned about the HIGH TUITION COSTS.

And did any of you guys see the Bloomberg finance room in the SAF? Pretty spiffy.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ I meant the OUAC 40 fee + the 75. Yeah while my dad was driving I noticed a bit of Laurier..looked much better than Waterloo lemme tell you that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^lol yeah the keyboards looked pretty cool. Btw g93 I think I saw you, were you wearing gray and a hat?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@g93 wrote

@smarty1 wrote

+ 1

I'm less worried about the atmosphere, because I know what the area is normally like, but am really concerned about the HIGH TUITION COSTS.

And did any of you guys see the Bloomberg finance room in the SAF? Pretty spiffy.

+1

Ditto. Until like few weeks ago, I used to believe that it's 3k in first year and 8k in the following. But guess what? That amount is not per year lmao, it's per term. That was literally a shocker for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@CityBoy wrote
^ I meant the OUAC 40 fee + the 75. Yeah while my dad was driving I noticed a bit of Laurier..looked much better than Waterloo lemme tell you that.

It's much more lively. People are happier, look like they're having fun, look like they want to be there. I like the campus better too, and it's more condensed. Way less Asians, funner, more excitement, better food, closer to downtown area, and as thecookiemonster said, better girls ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@CityBoy wrote
^lol yeah the keyboards looked pretty cool. Btw g93 I think I saw you, were you wearing gray and a hat?

No, I wasn't. And what do you mean "I think I saw you", you've never seen me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote

@g93 wrote

@smarty1 wrote

+ 1

+1

Ditto. Until like few weeks ago, I used to believe that it's 3k in first year and 8k in the following. But guess what? That amount is not per year lmao, it's per term. That was literally a shocker for me.

Yeah, they hide those tuition cots. I heard it was more money, and knew first year was reasonable then it went up. Saw the 8 as well, and thought that wasn't too bad. Then 16k! That is just crazy. So now the only way I see it financially viable for me to go to Waterloo is if I get in the Fellowship, but that's not overly likely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, it was me who referred to an event earlier and it was the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival.

Waterloo seemed... dead on Saturday, I'm not sure why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@CityBoy wrote

No, I wasn't. And what do you mean "I think I saw you", you've never seen me.

LMAO just got a weird vibe, my bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0