yconic - Scholarship Advice ??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Scholarship Advice ??

A photo of Andi Andi
Hmm. Your high school average was high, but your ECs lacked major leadership roles. I had a similar average but more leadership roles. Your academic performance is outstanding, however, and should be rewarded.

What university are you at? I ask this because 64% of the scholarship money I received during my undergrad came directly from my university ($32,000/$50,000). Most of the rest came from the Alberta government. I only received $3500 in external scholarships. $19,000 came in my first year, the rest were non-entrance awards. Most of my scholarships were more or less automatic, especially the provincial government ones, which I received for being a varsity athlete or for achieving a certain GPA and class ranking.

I'm telling you the external scholarships for continuing students are not abundant. Look to your university. Hopefully they are as generous as mine was
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Hmm. Your high school average was high, but your ECs lacked major leadership roles. I had a similar average but more leadership roles. Your academic performance is outstanding, however, and should be rewarded.

What university are you at? I ask this because 64% of the scholarship money I received during my undergrad came directly from my university ($32,000/$50,000). Most of the rest came from the Alberta government. I only received $3500 in external scholarships. $19,000 came in my first year, the rest were non-entrance awards. Most of my scholarships were more or less automatic, especially the provincial government ones, which I received for being a varsity athlete or for achieving a certain GPA and class ranking.

I'm telling you the external scholarships for continuing students are not abundant. Look to your university. Hopefully they are as generous as mine was
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
That's a shame that they don't have more merit-based scholarships. I never even attempted need-based awards because I know I'm not in need.

Unfortunately according to the government your parents are expected to support you in your education until you have been out of high school for 4 years.

Do you receive any OSAP? I am sure that OSAP takes into account the number of children in post secondary. And if you have received OSAP, you should qualify for need-based awards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0