yconic - Scholarships Based Mainly on Academics??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Scholarships Based Mainly on Academics??

A photo of mohammadahmad mohammadahmad
Hey guys,

I know that there are entrance scholarships that are given out according to your acceptance/admission average from the university you choose but I need more :) (no offense to those that pride themselves with extracurricular work).

I'm wondering if there are other scholarships that mainly take into account your average (not the queens scholarship).

Someone answer plz!

**I also do extracurricular work but my average ain't half bad so...yeah!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of amymiao amymiao
hey, I had the same problem but after the scholarship searches I found that most of the requirements for academic averages are between 75 - 80%. So if your mark is higher than 80% you'll be fine for the scholarships
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missanwer missanwer
All the scholarships that have to do with writing an essay technically reflect your average. They show how well you can write based on how you're doing in school. So if you wanna show off your writing skills just enter all the essay scholarships. They can be heard but if you stick to the ones that apply to you, I'm sure you'll be fine. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MelRadford MelRadford
I'm not sure those were the best replies, no offense. I'm kind of in the same boat - I have a very high academic average, but that is not all that matters. Because I don't have any ECs, I have to look for scholarships that don't include that or don't weight it too heavily.

P.S. I think that comment about essays reflecting your average was junk. That's only true if your average is due to good English Marks. For all you know, missanswr, the English mark was really low, and it was all the other subjects that pulled it up to a good average. And therefore essay contest would probably not be what is needed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marygao marygao
No, I don't think it's true. There are also leadership qualities and community hours that I know a lot of scholarships look for.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of eritz eritz
I'm in the same boat and it's so hard to find scholarships! I don't have tonnes of extracurricular or volunteer hours. I have a 93% average. Unfortunately I'm no superhero, I can't maintain that average AND do hundreds of things on the side...I'm a little screwed for scholarships :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Harby Harby

@eritz wrote
I'm in the same boat and it's so hard to find scholarships! I don't have tonnes of extracurricular or volunteer hours. I have a 93% average. Unfortunately I'm no superhero, I can't maintain that average AND do hundreds of things on the side...I'm a little screwed for scholarships :(

It's not really about doing 'hundreds of things on the side'. Although I'm not going to go into that, because that's not what I wanted to say haha. I agree that it is difficult to find scholarships that are based mainly on academics.

I think the big reason for this is that depending on the part of the country or school board or even just a school, the way the marking system works is very varied. Say I have worked really hard for a ninety average at a prestigious high school, whereas someone else barely works at all and has the same marks. It would be hard to award people based on that, don't you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Almost every school has entrance scholarships that are based completely on marks. A 90% will get you $2-3K at many schools. Many are renewable if you can hold an 80%.

95% entrance can get you $4-5K renewable. I would say that is quite substantial. That money is not available to people with lower marks. If you add that all up, you will find the University's are giving a very large portion of their scholarship funds based on marks alone.

Now if you want the really big bucks... you need to show extensive leadership, personal motivation and exceptional community volunteerism. You can't learn those skills by just Ace'ing your calculus tests.

The folks that do end up earning the Loran, TD, (or Chancellors) have both the marks and the leadership skills and will have poured 400-500's hours into EC's. The people that put up the money for the large awards are looking to find and support tomorrow leaders.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pcdavidvs pcdavidvs
Ya, I agree there should be some more scholarships that value high marks more. Most of the scholarships here are based just on essays. If your not good with essay writing it can kinda screw you over for scholarships a bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MandyJaq92 MandyJaq92
Okay this is a little off topic but I was wondering where these scholarships based on essays are? I have only found a few. Most of the scholarships are based on your average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apointon apointon
i feel like this website is totally lacking in such scholarships hehe. im currently commited to making a scholarship based soley on academics when im rich and famous hehe
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stukuntz stukuntz
I've found a few scholarships based on essays (the Anne Raynd one for example) and most entrance scholarships...try OSAP too!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@stukuntz wrote
I've found a few scholarships based on essays (the Anne Raynd one for example) and most entrance scholarships...try OSAP too!!

The point of scholarships is to minimize OSAP...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jesse353 jesse353
I am yet to find a scholarship based on academic average on this site.

All i have found so far are essay scholarships! I am horrible at writing essays!

So if someone can post/or message me a couple of links to academic based scholarship i would greatly appreciate it!

Or even post couple of links for Short Stories or even Poetry based scholarships!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dianakoncan dianakoncan
There are alot more awards other than the Queens award - you just need to keep looking. I know Ryerson has a listing of awards that are 'marks based' and waterloo as well.
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanjoy vanjoy
does anyone know a scholarship for rounded students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@vanjoy wrote
does anyone know a scholarship for rounded students?

Rounded in what way? There are plenty for volunteer experience. If you're looking for something else, I can't help you off the top of my head.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
If you want to look for scholarships based mainly on academics, look at the schools you are applying to. Most have major entrance awards (above and beyond the regular guarenteed scholarships) based mainly on grades, but requiring application and essays. Do this as soon as possible, I know that my deadline for the major entrace scholarship I won was Dec. 15th. And to those people who say they have grades but no ECs, I understand what you mean, but try and broaden your horizons. I'm in first year engineering, and when I applied to a summer job at an oil and gas company they don't care about your grades (and trust me, I would've jumped at the opportunity). They don't even ask you how your courses are going. While I admit grades are going to help you in scholarship applications and in university, the skills and experience you gain doing ECs such as volunteering, sports or even working will serve you much, much longer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of klippeal klippeal
well is there any around that may give out a little scholarship money to people like me. I have an 83% average... i dont know if thats enough for any scholarships. The delimma is im too busy in work and school to write any essays and I'm a little pathetic at the fact of school and community involvement. Yes i got my 40 hours, but just that. im not in any clubs, teams or sports. :( wish i was
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cq6 cq6
OSAP does offera bursary/scholarship called Queen Elizabeth II Reaching for the top
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katherine333 Katherine333
It's logical that the people who give the scholarships would want you to be heavily into volunteer work, because that's what they're doing by giving out a scholarship: not so much volunteering their time, but volunteering their money, and of course, time is money! So volunteering is obviously important to them, and it's important to society, and they obviously recognize that, because without them we wouldn't have these opportunities, and for some of us, that would mean we won't get the education. In our society, we tend to think that the government should do everything for us, but societies should never lose the vision that "we are our brothers' keepers" Expecting the government to do everything will never be enough. (And then we complain about high taxes!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jesse353 jesse353
Hey I have been looking for well over three days for academically based scholarships that do NOT require an essay and still can’t find any! If some one can please "PM"/ Message me a link to a couple ACADEMICALY BASED SCHOLARSHIPS that don't require essays (unless it has to be an essay about "why do you think you deserve this scholarship" or something along those lines) I would immensely appreciate it!

I feel I am in the clear for volunteering because i have well over 500 hours of volunteer time and over 1700 hours of being in a leader's position in the last 3 years

But ya, I cant find any academically based scholarships so if some one can be my knight in shining armor (:jocolor: ) and send me some links to a few academically based scholarships (preferably links to pages on this site)

Jesse LeBlanc

Oh P.S. I don't feel that our taxes are to high; infact i feel they should be higher. Seeing as we have one of the lowest taxes in the world!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sylviakaz Sylviakaz
Yeah I wish more of these scholarships focused more on academics or creativity, or something unique at least.. I don't have much volunteer work under my belt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey! Just so you know, lots of scholarships are also based on community involvement and extra-curricular activities!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenny12sohn jenny12sohn
I would say so, unless the post secondary school does not focus on academics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kchapman wrote
Hey! Just so you know, lots of scholarships are also based on community involvement and extra-curricular activities!

Yes. We know that, we're talking about those that aren't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0