yconic - Scholarships only possible for 12th graders and above?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Scholarships only possible for 12th graders and above?

A photo of LegendaryCyclone LegendaryCyclone
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've recently been called down to guidance to be notified that I'm doing exceptionally well, and am in the level of getting scholarships. The counselor then introduced me to the 'real world' and scholarships. Along with that, the guidance counselor gave me many resources where I could go to find out more about them, like Student Awards. Now, here I am, not knowing much at all about anything. I will ask my other questions later, but I do have one that all others are based off of. Are scholarships only available/possible for 12th graders or students from grades 10 to 12? You see, I'm in 10th grade, and am very new and excited for all this, at the same time, though, I know nothing about it. All answers and help are sincerely appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
In grade 10, you can't apply for scolarships. Usually you apply in your last year before applying for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I see. So at this time, I can only prepare to have a better chance to get them by getting involved and keeping up good grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dcastillo94 dcastillo94
You actually can apply for scholarships in grade ten. There's just not many that are available for students that have not entered grade twelve.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes, keep your grades up, have good well-rounded extra-curriculars (ones that show leadership, time committment, etc.) and be ready to apply for a ton of scholarships in grade 12. So now that you know about them, you can start looking in the summer before grade 12 and then start applying throughout grade 12 (some are due as early as November or December).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, I understand. The hardest part, for me at least, is to do those leadership activities since I'm not much of a leader; more like a partial-leader or one who leads if the current one isn't doing a good job. Oh well, scholarships are worth the work. Additionally, I was looking through some requirements to get the "big" scholarships are noticed you have to do really big things.... I personally felt intimidated. How do people prepare for such... intensity?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The really big scholarships are a stretch for most high school kids. I received a fair bit of scholarship money in my undergrad ($50,000) and applied for a few major external ones (Loran, can't remember what else) and didn't get any of them. However, my case shows that there are a lot of other scholarships out there. I got $32,000 alone from the University of Alberta. So obviously the university you choose to go to can greatly impact the amount of money you will receive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So if you do well academically and socially, universities give you scholarships when you apply.... Interesting. And the high-school probably gives a scholarship too, but it's most likely a very small one, if at all. Okay then, thanks a lot for the info. If there is any more, I'll still gladly accept it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Not necessarily when you apply. Some are automatic, but many have separate applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SarahPotiuk SarahPotiuk
If you are within Alberta (it may be available outside, but i am unsure) you can apply for the Rutherford scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually, I live in Markham, Ontario. I don't think getting that scholarship here is possible, but like you I'm unsure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
No, Rutherford is only for Alberta residents. They have a lot of automatic scholarships throughout university too, also only available to Alberta residents, but you might qualify if you've been a student there for a while (not sure, that's how it worked for the athletic one)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well... good to know. I suppose they have more big automatic scholarships there since they need it more than other places.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Like I said, none of the scholarships I got were automatic. All required applications. They are probably more generous than some Ontario universities, but I wouldn't know because I didn't apply to any for comparison. Who knows maybe I would have gotten a similar amount from an Ontario university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Maybe so, but to my understanding so far, Ontario doesn't have that many big ones. Or the ones it does, the requirements are extremely intimidating, in my humble opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Well the scholarships I got were based on having a 95% average and pretty extensive leadership and athletic related ECs in high school, then being a varsity athlete and having a 3.9 GPA in university. Hence why I think I might have gotten similar scholarship amounts in Ontario, but hard to say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The 95% average I can handle, with a wee bit of more effort, but the varsity and leadership I cannot. I really do need to develop more leadership skills. Sports...are not my thing at all, so, I'm not in any. I might join the soccer team, possibly, but going as far as varsity is questionable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0