yconic - school for good grad vs school for good paid job ??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

school for good grad vs school for good paid job ??

A photo of maelong maelong

Hello
I got an offer from all the schools I applied to except University of Toronto which was my 1st choice - -
I'm planning to go to grad school (hopefully in US), so I think I need good marks even in university

1-Mcgill
I don't know if i want to be an electrical engineer. except this I would definitely choose Mcgill. is there any way to change engineering major; hopefully to chemical engineering in 2nd year? also i heard everything is expensive in montreal so... not sure

2-Calgary
My mom strongly wants me to stay in Calgary where tuition is cheaper, and it would be easier to find a job in Calgary because of oil industry. also it gives me a year to choose what engineering major to choose. However I hate everything about calgary and really don't want to spend my future in calgary.

3-Waterloo
heard waterloo is even more country than calgary which means it's extremely boring city, and full of nerds. I also saw people struggling to find coop. apparently I heard something like if you can't find coop that means you can't graduate? the reputation isn't good either is it? but chemical engineering is what i really wanted to study so..

I'm also thinking to apply to University of Alberta for petroleum engineering program, should i?

Questions:
which school is the best school to prepare for grad school in US?
Do I have to do coop to graduate for mcgill? and how hard is it to find coop in Calgary if I go to Mcgill?
is there any way to change engineering major; hopefully to chemical engineering in 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of TotoSmith TotoSmith
I didn't apply to engineering but I'm curious, what was your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
IMO it sounds like you really don't like Waterloo, in which case you probably shouldn't choose it. As for McGill, I am not entirely sure if you can change program; however, I wouldn't doubt it. I know that at Waterloo, if you ask early enough you can change by second year.

I don't know anything about the University of Calgary so I can't help you there.

Which program did you apply to U of T? I may have created an opening.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TotoSmith wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MrSparkles wrote
IMO it sounds like you really don't like Waterloo, in which case you probably shouldn't choose it. As for McGill, I am not entirely sure if you can change program; however, I wouldn't doubt it. I know that at Waterloo, if you ask early enough you can change by second year.

I don't know anything about the University of Calgary so I can't help you there.

Which program did you apply to U of T? I may have created an opening.

I just think it's not a place to spend my youth; and the campus looks horrible
I hope I can switch in 2nd year, and believe 1st year is general at least?
I applied chem eng, and got rejected not sure why, but whatever so i'm waiting for alternate choice i get an alternate choice right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

I applied chem eng, and got rejected not sure why, but whatever so i'm waiting for alternate choice i get an alternate choice right?

For uoft.... To be guaranteed a switch you will need an 80 average both semesters or at least in your winter semester. Uoft admissions is weird so just wait up a little longer on the alt offer.

I'm also thinking to apply to University of Alberta for petroleum engineering program, should i?

Do you want to work in the oil industry?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@imaginaryengineer wrote

For uoft.... To be guaranteed a switch you will need an 80 average both semesters or at least in your winter semester. Uoft admissions is weird so just wait up a little longer on the alt offer.

Do you want to work in the oil industry?

r u saying I need 80average in the first year to change?

petroleum engineering, highest paid engineering major
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I went to the U of A for undergrad, it's a good school, but so are the others you listed. They have a general first year, which is good. If you want to work in the oil industry, by all means study petroleum, but otherwise you are specializing a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I went to the U of A for undergrad, it's a good school, but so are the others you listed. They have a general first year, which is good. If you want to work in the oil industry, by all means study petroleum, but otherwise you are specializing a lot.

mcgill, ut, and waterloo have a general first year as well?
wow you went to u of a, how's petroleum engineering program? is it competitive to major it? and how's edmonton?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@maelong wrote

mcgill, ut, and waterloo have a general first year as well?
wow you went to u of a, how's petroleum engineering program? is it competitive to major it? and how's edmonton?

U of A ONLY allows a general first year, whereas many of these schools have a separate general first year program. Not a significant difference, but it is different.

I did not do petroleum, I did mechanical. The petroleum engineering program is very small, tight knit and appears to be heavily recruited from by oil companies.

Edmonton is amazing. I love it there. Sometimes I love it more than Toronto, where I live now, and people think I'm crazy for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TotoSmith TotoSmith

@maelong wrote

@TotoSmith wrote

oh okay thanks for letting me know. I was only wondering because I was refused admission to math yesterday and my average was also around 85-86. Based on what I know, I thought engineering was even more competitive to get into than math so I thought that was kinda weird.
But to help you out with your original question, I think you should seriously consider staying in Alberta if you are interested in chemical/petroleum engineering since, as you already mentioned, the oil industry creates lots of job opportunities compared to Ontario. And since I am from Edmonton, I personally don't think that there is any significant difference Edmonton when compared to Calgary. It's cold, boring and as you put it "country". In fact, I think I would prefer to live in Calgary but that's just my opinion.
Anyways good luck with your decisions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

To be guaranteed a change, yes.

You should rethink about going to calgary if you want to work in the oil industry you will gain more experience going to a school in alberta.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@maelong wrote

But you don't mind U of C????!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@imaginaryengineer wrote

To be guaranteed a change, yes.

You should rethink about going to calgary if you want to work in the oil industry you will gain more experience going to a school in alberta.

i'm also thinking to go to grad school in us, so i'm not sure what to do
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greygoose wrote

@maelong wrote

But you don't mind U of C????!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I heard waterloo(the city) is worse, there's no doubt university of waterloo is an awesome school though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maelong wrote
Hello
I got an offer from all the schools I applied to except University of Toronto which was my 1st choice - -
I'm planning to go to grad school (hopefully in US), so I think I need good marks even in university

1-Mcgill
I don't know if i want to be an electrical engineer. except this I would definitely choose Mcgill. [size=6]is there any way to change engineering major; hopefully to chemical engineering in 2nd year?[/size] also i heard everything is expensive in montreal so... not sure

2-Calgary
My mom strongly wants me to stay in Calgary where tuition is cheaper, and it would be easier to find a job in Calgary because of oil industry. also it gives me a year to choose what engineering major to choose. However I hate everything about calgary and really don't want to spend my future in calgary.

3-Waterloo
heard waterloo is even more country than calgary which means it's extremely boring city, and full of nerds. I also saw people struggling to find coop. apparently I heard something like if you can't find coop that means you can't graduate? the reputation isn't good either is it? but chemical engineering is what i really wanted to study so..

Questions:
Do I have to do coop to graduate for mcgill? and how hard is it to find coop in Calgary if I go to Mcgill?
is there any way to change engineering major; hopefully to chemical engineering in 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@maelong wrote

Questions:

1) Pretty much any of them. Somewhere where you can get good research experience and letters of recommendation. This will not always be the most prestigious school, as research positions may be more difficult to obtain at larger schools.
2) Finding a co-op/summer job is all about who you know, if you know people who work at oil companies in Calgary, you can probably get a job in Calgary. I don't see anywhere that says McGill engineering has mandatory co-op
3) It might delay your degree to switch, but hopefully not if you do it after first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0