yconic - School spirit
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

School spirit

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
How important is school spirit? I'm not one of the football or cheerleading types, so I'm not looking for a school with spirit. Am I in the wrong on this one, guys?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo
Personally, this was a huge factor for me when I was picking a school. I wanted a school with a balance between academics and a social life/ECs (and school spirit plays a role in this, imo). School spirit is all about being proud of where you go (this can go anywhere from cheering at football games to having a wild homecoming, etc.). A university with students who have a lot of school spirit makes it a more exciting place to be, makes people want to get involved (e.g. clubs, councils, intramurals), and creates a sense of community on campus that you otherwise won't see at a school with a low school spirit.

However, for some people, this school spirit stuff isn't a big deal nor a factor to consider when picking a school so it's different for everyone. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ksherry ksherry

@123abcuwo wrote
Personally, this was a huge factor for me when I was picking a school. I wanted a school with a balance between academics and a social life/ECs (and school spirit plays a role in this, imo). School spirit is all about being proud of where you go (this can go anywhere from cheering at football games to having a wild homecoming, etc.). A university with students who have a lot of school spirit makes it a more exciting place to be, makes people want to get involved (e.g. clubs, councils, intramurals), and creates a sense of community on campus that you otherwise won't see at a school with a low school spirit.

However, for some people, this school spirit stuff isn't a big deal nor a factor to consider when picking a school so it's different for everyone. =)

I agree. Personally when I was choosing my schools I wasn't too concerned about which had the most school spirit but now that I'm here it really does play a big part in my school life. I love feeling connected to my school because of school spirit, I love being proud of my school and telling everyone where I'm studying with pride. Participating in school spirit events is also a great way to meet and make friends!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CaseyT CaseyT
BISHOP REDING ROYALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S GOOOOOO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EmilySmith EmilySmith
I feel like I don't want university to be all work and no play, like High school was. With that said I know when to buckle down but I want to meet some people and have some fun; have the uni experience. So what is it? Bishops and Queens have the most spirit? What about McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo

@EmilySmith wrote
I feel like I don't want university to be all work and no play, like High school was. With that said I know when to buckle down but I want to meet some people and have some fun; have the uni experience. So what is it? Bishops and Queens have the most spirit? What about McGill?

In my opinion (I don't know about universities in other provinces though), in Ontario I'd say (no particular order) UWO, Queen's, Guelph, Laurier & Mac.
Generally, a school that's not a "commuter" school tend to have the most amount of spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Queen's and Western seem to have the most school spirit. I'm not sure about Guelph and Laurier. McGill has a fair amount too (more than U of T/UBC but less than Queen's/Western).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Guelph and Laurier are also spirited schools (I'd even go as far to say that Laurier is up there with Western and Queen's). U of A is sour in comparison to any one of those schools. Makes a big difference in how much pride you have for your school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rachelb rachelb
a good way to get good school spirit is to pick a song that can be sung throughout the year that most people will like. i know most schools have a school song but pick another song thats up to date. it helped our school win so many times throughout the year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rachelb wrote
a good way to get good school spirit is to pick a song that can be sung throughout the year that most people will like. i know most schools have a school song but pick another song thats up to date. it helped our school win so many times throughout the year

Hungry Eyes? :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of karlene karlene
school spirt is lame if you ask me .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ Negative Nancy spotted. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckybee luckybee
Queen's is full of school spirit and has a ton of traditions. It might seem a little cheesy at first, but it is actually really bonding and a lot of fun. Also it allows alumni to relate to students and new grads because you all go through the same stuff and know the traditions. Oil Thigh ftw!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockey hockey
I heard Dalhousie is pretty good in terms of traditions and school spirit!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GAC2015 GAC2015

@hockey wrote
I heard Dalhousie is pretty good in terms of traditions and school spirit!

+ 1 :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tamaraleiva tamaraleiva

@Zion wrote
^ Negative Nancy spotted. :batman:

oh my god... you used the word negative, awesome! i always do and everyone makes fun of me for it.. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I show school spirit just by being proud and enthusiastic of where I go to school.
Some schools you never hear anything about because the people in it aren't excited about being there, this makes me think the schools are no fun because they have no spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kassandra Kassandra
Of course you want to choose a university that is strong academically and that offers good programs. However, school spirit played a role in my decision too. I wanted to not only succeed at university, but have fun and enrole in one that has a great atmosphere. School spirit helps create a better atmosphere and ensures that you have fun and get involved too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shannonannabel shannonannabel
i think school spirit is important even outside of athletics, it's good to feel proud to be attending your college or university!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
School spirit is so important. I think it depends on how much the university itself promotes it. It's very easy to get into school spirit once the school promotes it intensly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ningtan ningtan
Queen's has a stupid amount of school spirit.
That being said, I'm pretty big on departmental spirit too, and not just the sports and the cheering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JennaLynMarie JennaLynMarie
I think taking pride in your school is a must. If you're spending years there, you should enjoy the experience. Why the hell not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Taryn Taryn
School spirit is very important. Everyone should have at least a little. It makes school more fun and you get to share in the pride of your school with so many people! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwest21 mwest21
School spirit was very important for me, because I like the sense of community.
Especially since I went away from home, school spirit really helped me feel a sense of belonging and foster development from me just wanting to be there and being happy about it. But I do think it depends on the type of person you are, and how you define school spirit. For me, atmosphere really affects my attitude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0